DVBLink-TVMosaic Live TV Plugin

t.andre

leone007
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, if you import into emby server, transcoding is off and emby will handle it as needed 

Thanks Luke, but, this isn't what I need. Emby runs on my NAS (no nvenc), and even if I'd run Emby on my nvidia GPU machine, I have no ways to adjust deinterlace, scale and hevc encoding. or is there a way to modify ffmpeg command line for Emby? 

I have read numerous topics here about how double framerate server side deinterlacing isn't possible in Emby, due to possible client hardware insufficiency. Which I dont' think is a realistic argument in 2022, and we at least should have some control over the server transcoding, depending on the level of expertise. 

It is remarkably easy in tvmosaic, this should be the same in Emby. 

15 minutes ago, leone007 said:

Thanks Luke, but, this isn't what I need. Emby runs on my NAS (no nvenc), and even if I'd run Emby on my nvidia GPU machine, I have no ways to adjust deinterlace, scale and hevc encoding. or is there a way to modify ffmpeg command line for Emby? 

I have read numerous topics here about how double framerate server side deinterlacing isn't possible in Emby, due to possible client hardware insufficiency. Which I dont' think is a realistic argument in 2022, and we at least should have some control over the server transcoding, depending on the level of expertise. 

It is remarkably easy in tvmosaic, this should be the same in Emby. 

For ultra advanced users, the diagnostics plugin has a search and replace feature that can help you alter the command line. But yes more server-side transcoding control is certainly possible.

leone007
On 6/9/2022 at 7:34 PM, Luke said:

For ultra advanced users, the diagnostics plugin has a search and replace feature that can help you alter the command line. But yes more server-side transcoding control is certainly possible.

Dianostics plugin is not meant to be used this way. But if you suggest this soultion, please explain to what to replace "yadif_cuda@f1", since the solution from the mentioned topic  does not work anymore. Also please elaborate how to make emby server use hevc_nvnc instead of h264_nvenc.

This is getting really annoying. A missing small feature, that'll make me cancel my sub. 

Edited by leone007

The two things you mention are different and unrelated.

As for transcoding to HEVC, this is nothing to be expected any time soon. I have explained the reasoning behind this in-depth in numerous posts, so please apologize me not repeating. You can easily find these posts by doing an advanced search for posts of mine with hevc and hls as search terms. I think I should combine all those answers in a blog post to make it easier discoverable.

For the other part - de-interlacing with frame-doubling - I understand that there's a need and that it makes sense, especially with high action content. 
Using send_field or similar with certain de-interlacing filters might appear to be a simple change to achieve frame-doubling when deinterlacing, but there's a reason why we are not using it (yet). The problem is that this is changing the output framerate and this can cause problems at multiple places in ffmpeg processing: re-timestamping, filtering pipelines (e.g. with overlay or burn-in), encoding and muxing. Least number of problems is with sw transcoding, but with hw acceleration, problems are likely to be seen.

It's not that it would be impossible to resolve, but it will require require several weeks of intensive work in ffmpeg to achieve a consistent behavior, across all hw and sw codecs and filters. If it was as easy as a param change, we would have done that already. Some may raise their hands and say "but it's working fine for me to replace the param", but single success cases don't matter.
What matters is how many would raise their hands and say their playback is broken when we would change the server transcoding to send_field for everybody. And that would make dozens of reports about playback problems.

12 hours ago, leone007 said:

the solution from the mentioned topic  does not work anymore

That's probably due to the explicit specification of output framerate.

I'll add a new diagnostic option that allows to disable this parameter. I had planned to do that anyway for different reasons, but this should at least put you back into a position to play with these things.

2 hours ago, softworkz said:

For the other part - de-interlacing with frame-doubling - I understand that there's a need and that it makes sense, especially with high action content. 
Using send_field or similar with certain de-interlacing filters might appear to be a simple change to achieve frame-doubling when deinterlacing, but there's a reason why we are not using it (yet). The problem is that this is changing the output framerate and this can cause problems at multiple places in ffmpeg processing: re-timestamping, filtering pipelines (e.g. with overlay or burn-in), encoding and muxing. Least number of problems is with sw transcoding, but with hw acceleration, problems are likely to be seen.

It's only needed for transcoding. :)

Not sure what remuxing would have to do with it. I'd gladly give up overlay/burn-in to implement this for Live TV.  Actually I'm not sure that's even an issue for live TV is it? Does anyone broadcast subs that need transcoding?

I know I don't use "Emby to watch sports as the temporal resolution drives me crazy.  I'll watch a recording later on Emby after I've used ffmpeg to convert it to progressive with double frame rates (so it looks more natural and has more detail).

24 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's only needed for transcoding. :)

What means "only"? There are multi-thousands of different cases.

26 minutes ago, cayars said:

Not sure what remuxing would have to do with it

Right, in Emby terms, we're speaking of remuxing in dependence of whether the video is re-encoded or just copied.
What I meant above is muxing other (copied) streams like audio or subtitles together with a deinterlaced and re-encoded video stream.

30 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'd gladly give up overlay/burn-in to implement this for Live TV. 

Please re-read the "raising hands" illustration.

33 minutes ago, cayars said:

Actually I'm not sure that's even an issue for live TV is it? Does anyone broadcast subs that need transcoding?

ATSC

• Closed Captions: Text
    we can
    • Pass-through for clients being able to decode
      but clients might fail when every second frame doesn't have CC data
    • Provide these as text subs
    • Burn-In

DVB

• DVB Subs: Graphical
    • We probably can't pass-through these with doubled frames
    • Convert to text subs and provide as webvtt
    • Burn-In
  • Teletext Subs: Text
    • We probably can't pass-through these with doubled frames
    • provide as webvtt
    • Burn-In

DVD (MP2 interlaced content)

• DVDSUB (VOB Subs): Graphical
    • Convert to text subs and provide as webvtt
    • Burn-In

So - is it easy and nobody would be affected? ==> Unfortunately not.

Quoting you quoting me (could be a song title):

44 minutes ago, cayars said:
  2 hours ago, softworkz said:

From another perspective:

Sometimes, you have cases where you can say: okay, let's go forward with it and see who will be affected and fix those regression cases afterwards.
But this is not one of those situations, unfortunately, as the only instant fix would be to revert. This way, we would maximize the amount of users being annoyed: those who encounter broken playback and those who will loose their short-time achievement of frame-doubling. Plus those who wanted frame-doubling, but it didn't work well for them, and they put effort in reporting and documenting their issues, before realizing that it's all taken away again.

It's something one could call a lose-lose situation 😉 

leone007
15 hours ago, softworkz said:

I'll add a new diagnostic option that allows to disable this parameter. I had planned to do that anyway for different reasons, but this should at least put you back into a position to play with these things.

This would be great, thanks. 

16 hours ago, softworkz said:
  • DVB Subs: Graphical

DVB? Does that old thing still exist? :

Yep, totally forgot about that.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, cayars said:

DVB? Does that old thing still exist? :

Old? This is how most people in the world are watching TV 🙂 
(excepting China)

Yes, I know.  I was making a pun of myself for forgetting about it.

Like this: 1870268415_man-facepalming-light-skin-tone_1f926-1f3fb-200d-2642-fe0f1.png.9c6d0c28247e8efcc4f4f4b7d861fc26.png

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2022 at 3:55 AM, Luke said:

Yes I certainly can port the DvbLink plugin. I just wanted to see that was actually demand for it first given that the underlying software is defunct.

+1

I'm in the same situation as sirmadman

TV Mosaic plugin does not work with my DVBLink TV Server (even changing the ports).

So if u can port the DVBLink plugin it will be appreciated.

• Like 3