LG Smart TVs

nekromantik

Allan Cameron

Just noticed a new app in LG smart TV called "SMART IPTV"

Maybe this could be used to connect to mediabrowser?

Not sure what you mean because i don't see it in the Canadin app store. Maybe a US only thing?

• 3 weeks later...
autoepg

I would gladly donate / buy the app if it was available for LG Smart TV

since it's available for samsung it should not be difficult to make it to work on LG, they basically both use same platform , android, or I might be wrong, not talking for the latest LG series that uses webos

• 4 months later...
Deihmos

I just got a webOS TV. I initially purchased a Samsung but damn their smarttv system is horrible but webOS is just perfect. I would love to see a mediabrowser app for it as there is already a Plex app.

• 1 month later...

Does the webbrowser in WebOS work with mediabrowser already?  I'm trying to decide between a Samsung and a LG TV and I'd prefer the LG if it could access my mediabrowser server in some form or fashion while an app is developed (fingers crossed).  I'd go with the Samsung upfront, but people don't seem to like their smarttv interface.

Deihmos

I have never used the browser. The DLNA works fine and it can play all my content without transcoding with the proper dlna settings. I have an htpc so I use that instead.

mrinaldi

Correct me if I'm wrong but since the LG's webOS uses html5 and javascript for its apps, most of the Media Browser's web dashboard can be used with little or no modification.

I tried to make it work, but didn't make it yet. Anyway, I believe there should be a page to tell webOS the server's IP address (or maybe scan automatically - there's a way to do that?) and set it calling Dashboard.serverAddress(). Everything from there were supposed to work.

I don't know if the html5 player will work correctly, specially if the audio will be downmixed to 2.0, as it happens accessing Media Browser through the webOS browser, or correctly play as 5.1.

I'll try to do this, but since I'm short on free time, if anybody wants to try this, I believe it's worth.

Deihmos

You asked about 5.1 audio being down mixed and I said it will be in the browser but plays natively with DLNA. I don't have movies with multiple audio streams so I cannot test if switching works.

• 2 months later...
yudicuba

hi all,

any news about any dev for Lg smart tv ?

i have no competences for dev but if i can help in any other way, I'll be glad to doit ;)

best regards

CBers

hi all,

any news about any dev for Lg smart tv ?

i have no competences for dev but if i can help in any other way, I'll be glad to doit ;)

best regards

I think your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to go out and find an LG TV dev :)

• 2 weeks later...
Cheesegeezer

my sentence does not want to be controversial, but this means: This APP will never be developed.

LG are kinda making it difficult to develop for.  There are 2 SDK's available, one is for Netcast and the other is WebOS.  Which means anyone with an LG TV after 2013 will require webOS.

Unless there was an update to the older TV Models which changed them to use WebOS.

So if there are any developers out there that are happy with JQuery, CSS and HTML5 then by all means come and help the project and lets get an LG App out there for the masses to use ;)

Deihmos

I also have an LG TV webOS version. Since I use an HTPC an app isn't important but I just realized something really cool. I can send pretty much any video playing in the browser to the TV using Windows 8. I always knew about this but didn't know it worked in the browser.

Just another heads up from an LG user. I have the 55LB650V and love WebOS. I currently use a 3rd Party app with my Plex server. I am waiting until I can move everything over to MB because I want to ditch Plex. I have been watching MB for about a year now and have watched it support more and more platforms. Things are almost there! There is now an Debian Jessie server, an OpenMediaVault plugin, I just need an LG app and a Raspi client and Plex is a thing of the past.

I can help with any testing if needed. :)

We actually reached out to the crash player developer who built LG app for another media server. I think he might not have the energy to support it for different servers but perhaps you could try and lobby him and/or help recruit someone to port it.

Ok, I'll see what I can do but I'm not sure what influence I will have. The LG app would be great, but not the end of the world as I can plug a RasPi into it.. Do you also have plans to support the Pi? Possibly with OpenELEC?

politby

+1 for an LG app. I just got a new LG 4k TV and a media browser app would save me the cost, wire clutter and time to get a separate streaming device. [emoji1]

I use DLNA on my old lg and with a little modifying of the dlna profile it plays all items I want and subtitles too as long as they are in .srt format  :P

Using a tablet and the regular mb3 web client makes it easy to control playback, and with no transcoding the playback is instant. 

In my opinion its much easier to use the web client to browse and select what to watch compared to the massive amount of buttons to press goig trough the collection via the DLNA client on the TV.

Br

HomerS

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I just want to update you all because I know you are waiting for an Emby for LG app. We have submitted it to the LG store but there appears to be a very long wait time in the app review process. Hopefully it will not be too much longer. Thank you for your patience.

• 1 year later...

Emby for LG 1.07 has just been released. Stay tuned to the Emby blog for the release announcement. Please try it out. Thanks !

• Like 1