ServerWMC DLNA Transcoding and HDHR Plus

ggillie

ggillie

Hello everyone!  I'm a longtime lurker and first time poster so bear with me...  I have recently added a HDHR Plus into my setup and am currently trying to enable HDHR transcoding in the ServerWMC config.xml file.  I have my HDHR Plus configured to work within WMC and my transcoding profile set to "mobile."  I have followed the guide (albeit for XMBC) here.

In my config.xml file, I changed the following: <UseHDHRTranscodeForDlna>false</UseHDHRTranscodeForDlna>  to this: <UseHDHRTranscodeForDlna>true</UseHDHRTranscodeForDlna>  and also tried setting a custom profile like this: <HDHRForceTranscodeDlnaProfile>mobile</HDHRForceTranscodeDlnaProfile>

I also added the path to my HDHR Config tool: <HDHRConfigToolLocation>C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe</HDHRConfigToolLocation>

After much fiddeling, I still cannot get ServerWMC to use the default transcoded profile provided by the HDHR (or any other profile for that matter).  Assuming that this means what I think it means: 

2015/01/02 22:46:41.458 LiveDlnaStream> DLNA address set: http://192.168.0.107:5004/auto/v6.1?transcode=none

I have attached a clean log file from ServerWMC along with my config.xml.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ServerWMC version 1.0.0.52

MediaBrowser Server version 1.0.0.53

ServerWMC.log

config.xml

ggillie

I assume that this is not necessary in any way then?  My aim is to take live DNLA streams from my HDHR and redirect them to my chromecast in the most efficient way possible.  I was hoping to shrink the necessary bandwidth by using the hardware transcoding feature of the HDHR.  I was hoping that the smaller transcoded file would be more easily handled by MB3.  I take it that I have over-complicated the issue?

Yes it is best to leave the dlna stream as it is. Actually that is the whole reason we put in the effort to support their dlna stream. Without the dlna, serverwmc was pulling it from windows media center where it has been through a wtv conversion process. With the dlna feature we get the raw untouched stream to feed into MBS, and that is what will perform the best and be the most reliable. MBS will then take that and do whatever is needed by the client app, which in your case is chromecast.

krustyreturns

Right, the hdhr's transcode is always forced off if the serverwmc client is mb3.  

viziofire

If using an HDTC-2US would the lag time not be reduced if the h.264 stream from the SD tuner was used rather than adding the additional time for MB to transcode?  Wouldn't it be more efficient for MB just to pass an h.264 stream instead of adding extra time for MB to transcode mpeg2->h.264? 

Edited by viziofire

we are thinking about looking into that yes. not everybody's HDHR has that feature so we have been spending more time on solutions that will apply to everyone

viziofire

@@Luke -  I fully understand that majority of HDHR are not h.264 transcoding but wouldn't it just be simple to give the end user the option to turn off transcoding in MB for live TV ?     Thank you for all your efforts integrating ServerWMC.

Edited by viziofire

no then nothing would work. not that simple because MBS still has to take the h264 stream and remux it to the format the client needs.

viziofire

I'm confused.    Most smartphones/tablets (clients) playback h.264 stream from HDTC-2US, why does it need to be remuxed?    

Edited by viziofire

h264 yes but we support outputting different containers like mp4, ts, hls, soon mpeg dash, etc. so it will be possibly remuxed into whatever format the client is asking for.

techywarrior

Most of those devices you just mentioned only support stereo sound for instance. Also, the system put in place has to work on every device that MB3 supports. That includes browsers (only IE and Safari support h.264, although it works in Chrome even though Google said they were pulling support), phones, tablets, STB devices, Roku, etc. etc.

If there is a setting that makes the stream only work on some devices then people are going to wonder why their live TV stream isn't working on X device not having realized that switching to h264 was the cause.

and MBS has to ensure the stream is within the paramaters requested by the MBS client. if the client says it can only handle 1mbps and HDHR churns out 4mpbs, then MBS will have to be the one to covert it.

viziofire

OK, understood.  I'd respectfully like to request you consider the option of allowing the end user to turn off MB transcoding, even if its a hidden or advanced option.    Not all users are idiots and if you are worried about the end user screwing up you could have a popup with warning.     For viewing OTA HD with an h.264 tuner such as the HDTC-2US, the entire transcode/remux process isn't needed and just adds to channel changing lag time.     I'm very impressed that you support so many containers but  all that's being ask for is the option to disable transcoding for just Live TV which ultimately will make MB more efficient and add to its value as a whole home DVR solution.     Not everyone needs remote access or uses a broswer, particularly given the strength of your current mobile apps.  

Edited by viziofire

techywarrior

I'm pretty certain both Android TV and Fire TV support more than stereo sound

Not if you plug it into a TV that only has 2 speakers :)

• Like 1

viziofire

Having tried MB long ago, I just wanted to pass on how impressed I am by the current status of the project and say thanks for all the hard work to date.    I suspect when the guys working on the MB Android/Fire TV app gets closer to completion, a desire to reduce the stream lag time for live TV will become a priority.    This is not an issue limited to MB as it also exists in XBMC and other PVR solutions.   As transcoding time is the major cause of lag time for tuning to Live TV channel, eliminating the transcoding by using an h.264 tuner (source) seems like the best option although I do appreciate your concerns for streaming remote/other content.  Perhaps there can be different settings for a streaming from a connected tuner vs. streaming local content or streaming remotely. 

Edited by viziofire

@@viziofire I have the HDTC-2US and thank you for understanding my need/request. Let's hope that that this could be implemented in future builds and a huge THANK YOU to everyone who makes Media Browser so amazing.

viziofire

@@ggillie -  As the Live TV/PVR functionality of MB grows, I suspect lag times will become of greater importance and the issue will be better appreciated.   Mandatory transcoding of streams which are already h.264 and can be handled by the client doesn't seem like the best option but we'll see.     Perhaps I now have a reason to upgrade my server for faster transcoding ;)  I'm really impressed by the current Android apps and state of development.     Big thanks to the dev team.

Edited by viziofire