Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

Don't even get me started on Midnight Sky.  Anyone who read my diatribe on Ed Astor - well, this one is worse.  It was an interesting idea so poorly executed...

1 minute ago, ebr said:

Don't even get me started on Midnight Sky.  Anyone who read my diatribe on Ed Astor - well, this one is worse.  It was an interesting idea so poorly executed...

Wow, here I am thinking it wasn't that bad.

Obviously the book was better?

27 minutes ago, chef said:

Wow, here I am thinking it wasn't that bad.

Obviously the book was better?

If it were a superhero movie, maybe one could stomach the ridiculous situations depicted here.  --SPOILERS--

Spoiler

Let's start with the long stretches of daylight above the arctic circle in Feb, then move to nearly freezing to death during a journey across that country while the temperature has supposedly risen to the point of a 2 foot deep ice shelf melting and breaking apart, then submerge yourself in what would presumably be 33 degree water for a while and survive that with no shelter. Then lets have some instantaneous conversations with a space ship that is - who knows how far out from earth, and claim that - after what is obviously some sort of global missile strike the arctic circle is still survivable but nowhere in the southern hemisphere, including Antarctica would be (90% of any missiles would be targeted at the northern hemisphere). Now, jump to space where, somehow, a projectile completely penetrates an environment suit - in space - without the person inside even knowing it.

And on top of all of that - other than the touching twist at the end (that one could see coming a mile away and is basically the same as Red sky in mourning) - the entire movie is basically pointless.  Nothing really happens and two, yes, two people are left to completely restart the human race.

1 hour ago, ebr said:

If it were a superhero movie, maybe one could stomach the ridiculous situations depicted here.  --SPOILERS--

Hide contents

Let's start with the long stretches of daylight above the arctic circle in Feb, then move to nearly freezing to death during a journey across that country while the temperature has supposedly risen to the point of a 2 foot deep ice shelf melting and breaking apart, then submerge yourself in what would presumably be 33 degree water for a while and survive that with no shelter. Then lets have some instantaneous conversations with a space ship that is - who knows how far out from earth, and claim that - after what is obviously some sort of global missile strike the arctic circle is still survivable but nowhere in the southern hemisphere, including Antarctica would be (90% of any missiles would be targeted at the northern hemisphere). Now, jump to space where, somehow, a projectile completely penetrates an environment suit - in space - without the person inside even knowing it.

And on top of all of that - other than the touching twist at the end (that one could see coming a mile away and is basically the same as Red sky in mourning) - the entire movie is basically pointless.  Nothing really happens and two, yes, two people are left to completely restart the human race.

Yes, I also thought  your last comment, was an odd situation in the movie. How in Earth (or not) was that ever going to happen?

BillOatman
On 12/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, ebr said:

When I look and see "post-apocalyptic" in a movie description, I automatically hit the pass button.

I haven't watched WW84 yet, now I may never.
Maybe that's why it came on on hbo max the same day as theatres (or close to it), they knew how much it sucked, no matter how hot WW was, and suckered hbo max out of some cash.

Edited by BillOatman

sooty234

I watched Greenland last night. That was great drama. I was expecting something different from it. Instead of focusing on the pending calamity, they focused on the people. Very well acted and directed. 

FrostByte
On 1/2/2021 at 6:03 PM, sooty234 said:

I watched Greenland last night. That was great drama. I was expecting something different from it. Instead of focusing on the pending calamity, they focused on the people. Very well acted and directed. 

We enjoyed Greenland also, much more than WW84

• Like 1

WilhelmStroker

Police Story 3. Another Jackie Chan movie. Entertaining and good stunts.
The legend of Drunken Master. Yet another Jackie Chan movie. Again very entertaining.
Rumble in the bronx. Yup another Chan one. Funny to hear Ministry in a Jackie Chan movie and again it's good mindless fun.
Possessor. The latest by Brandon Cronenberg, David's son. Great looking movie, with lots of elements from David's older work. Very bloody and violent in places.
Free Fire. I'm a fan of Ben Wheatley's previous movies (Sightseers in particular) but this left me cold. Basically a Tarantino scene stretched for 90 minutes with dodgy accents.
Murder in the front row. Documentary about 1980's thrash metal from the Bay Area.

1 more off my Razzies list:
Xanadu. With Olivia Newton John. Who can't act. Terrible movie. Xana don't.

And I finally delved into the movies of Neil Breen. He's often compared to Tommy Wiseau (The Room) and yes his movies are just as inept, with lots of stock movie shots, stock music, piss poor acting and weird plots that is the same in pretty much every movie (Breen saves the world from corrupt business men and the government). Out of the 5 he's done, Fateful Findings is the one that mostly resembles a traditional movie. All his movies are hilarious though with some very quotable one liners. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker

A few more:

Kuroneko. Very atmospheric black and white Japanese movie. Loved this.

Inferno of torture. Japanese `pinku' movie. Very violent and no real story. Not a fan.

The Running Man. Entertaining Arnie action flick.

Miracles. More Jackie Chan. Solid.

• 3 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker

Magnum Dopus - Documentary about the making of Jay and SIlent Bob reboot. Not particulary interesting.

Voyage of the rock aliens - Eighties musical movie with Pia Zadora. One of those so bad it's good ones. 

Bad Girls - 2021 grindhouse movie about 3 strippers who after robbing their strip club go on a cross country road trip. Very violent, but a good watch. Apparently made for an extremely low budget, but you can't really tell.

• 3 weeks later...
CharleyVarrick

Just watch Land (2021) with/by Robin Wright

Very nice movie, beautiful and intimate, to watch with your significant other, or even by yourself, if you feel a little down and out.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

15 hours ago, CharleyVarrick said:

beautiful and intimate, to watch with your significant other

Is that the "PC" way of saying its a "chick flick"?

• Haha 2

David Patt

Boss Level - 2021 -  very videogame like , nothing special but fun , basically groundhog day with shooting.

CharleyVarrick
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Is that the "PC" way of saying its a "chick flick"?

You could say that, defintely not for the Fast & Furious crowd.

adamstewiegreen

The Lodger - Early and silent Hitchcock.  He hasn't hit his stride at this point but it definitely shows glimpses of what is to come.

The Getaway - McQueen.

Dragged Across Concrete - Long, slow, some action, occasionally gory and (I think) no swearing.  It's an unusual combination, and it worked about as well as it did in Brawl in Cell Block 99 (i.e. not well) 

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai - This was weird.  I usually like weird.  I did not like this.  What really threw me off was - for no reason that advanced the story (as far as I could tell) - the mafia bosses (and others) sitting around transfixed by 1940's cartoons in pretty much every other scene.

Lego Batman:  The best Batman movie ever made?  According to my (Batman obsessed) 4 year old, absolutely!

Annihilation - Alex Garland wrote and directed, his best work (IMO) is Ex Machina (Devs was ok - even if absurd - but it wasn't nearly as compelling as Ex Machina).  I finally got around to watching this because I read that it was inspired by Tarkovsky (mainly Stalker), and indeed it is inspired Stalker (that's obvious) but Garland is (philosophically, at least) the anti-Tarkovsky, which is why all of Garland's movies make me feel cold and dead afterwards.  It's a bit bitter-sweet, because I generally like his films.

CharleyVarrick
On 3/6/2021 at 11:39 AM, CharleyVarrick said:

You could say that, defintely not for the Fast & Furious crowd.

On second thought, no its is not a mere chick flick at all.

Yes main character is a woman, but what she's going through is applicable to every one with a blood pump.

CharleyVarrick

I watched Styx (2018) yesterday (not the 70's rock group).

Again short actor list with a woman as lead. It cries "What would you do in that situation"

Thought provoking to say the least.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

Without over thinking it, was is your undisputed all time favorite ? and why in a nutshell.

Me: Interstellar (2014)

It gave me odd combo of feeling smarter and dumber at once

Edited by CharleyVarrick

Loved "Interstellar".  However, I don't think it could be an undisputed all-time favorite.

Movies like Diner and The Godfather come to mind...

CharleyVarrick
On 1/14/2021 at 1:57 PM, WilhelmStroker said:

😂 Xana don't

CharleyVarrick
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Loved "Interstellar".  However, I don't think it could be an undisputed all-time favorite.

Movies like Diner and The Godfather come to mind...

The idea here is not to vote up or down, more what is YOUR ATF

That being said Its been a while since I watched Godfather but gripping comes to mind (gripping is good)

Everyone else chime in, 1 shot only

I really liked "The Jacket (2005)" when I watched that when it came out. Always thought there should be a sequel. How much time do we have? ... we have all.. the time.. in the world.. *begin credits*

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick
On 1/14/2021 at 1:57 PM, WilhelmStroker said:

Police Story 3. Another Jackie Chan movie. Entertaining and good stunts.
The legend of Drunken Master. Yet another Jackie Chan movie. Again very entertaining.
Rumble in the bronx. Yup another Chan one. Funny to hear Ministry in a Jackie Chan movie and again it's good mindless fun.
Possessor. The latest by Brandon Cronenberg, David's son. Great looking movie, with lots of elements from David's older work. Very bloody and violent in places.
Free Fire. I'm a fan of Ben Wheatley's previous movies (Sightseers in particular) but this left me cold. Basically a Tarantino scene stretched for 90 minutes with dodgy accents.
Murder in the front row. Documentary about 1980's thrash metal from the Bay Area.

And I finally delved into the movies of Neil Breen. He's often compared to Tommy Wiseau (The Room) and yes his movies are just as inept, with lots of stock movie shots, stock music, piss poor acting and weird plots that is the same in pretty much every movie (Breen saves the world from corrupt business men and the government). Out of the 5 he's done, Fateful Findings is the one that mostly resembles a traditional movie. All his movies are hilarious though with some very quotable one liners. 

Sometime, bad movie leave as much of an impression as great ones.

When I was 8 or 9, late one night, I watched The Night Walker (1964)

It scared the living daylight out of me for years. The haunting music score, the 2$ props, if someone would watch this for the 1st time in 2021, would likely not be impressed.

The original Blair Witch (1999) also comes to mind, buddy and me saw it at the theater when it just came out.

My blood turned to ice by the invisible, yet ever looming threat, my friend barely shrug shoulders and moved on.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
On 2/18/2021 at 4:36 PM, WilhelmStroker said:

Bad Girls - 2021 grindhouse movie about 3 strippers who after robbing their strip club go on a cross country road trip. Very violent, but a good watch. Apparently made for an extremely low budget, but you can't really tell.

Budget and results don't always go hand in hand; sometimes its good to think "OK if I do this 30 sec scene like I first intended, that will cost 100k, but just changing a camera angle or some other details and boom, I just saved 98k.

Necessity is the mother of invention (said FZ) 😉.

Blair Witch (again) being the perfect example with 30K pocket change budget, returned a nice 250M, and was an inspiration to a new gen, but also a ton of knockoffs that achieved mixed if not opposite results.

A more artsy example is Once (2007), 150k out 21M in, not including soundtrack revenue (Falling Slowly; one of the nicest song of the last 20 years)

Edited by CharleyVarrick