667 replies to this topic

#661 Waldonnis OFFLINE  

Waldonnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

Anyone have any recommendations for movies with a good Atmos audio track? Just tested out my new Atmos setup last night with Mad Max: Fury Road and was blown away. Now I'm on the hunt for some others as most lists or recommendations I've found date back to 2015.

Mad Max: Fury Road is hands-down the best Atmos track that I've heard outside of a demo track, so it's going to be hard to top that.  I've heard good things about the Atmos tracks on Logan (4k), John Wick, and Batman vs. Superman (mostly the action scenes in this one), but I haven't personally heard them on a proper Atmos speaker setup.  Sadly, my audio setup is in a woeful state since I moved into this tiny condo with weirdly-angled walls and concrete ceiling, so I can't check out some of my newer movies to see how they compare.

#662 swhitmore OFFLINE  

swhitmore

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2700 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:41 PM

Watched a few movies recently and thought I'd do short takes on each.

Despicable Me 3: Took my 3yo daughter to watch this. She loved it. I was pretty disappointed. Even as an adult, I loved the first 2 movies, and this one just didn't seem to capture any of the brilliant and funny moments that made the others a hit.

Fast and the Furious 8: Pretty much exactly what you'd expect. The movie was fine. I think it's definitely lost the appeal from the first ones, and you can probably watch the trailer to get the whole story line. However, if you're looking to spend 2 hours watching fast cars, gun, girls. and explosions, then this is not a bad way to do it. Sometimes that's all you need from a movie.

Beauty and the Beast: One of my favourite movies of the last year, and I was not expecting it at all. I was never a huge Disney fan as a kid, and my favourites were more like The Lion King and Aladdin. This movie still managed to bring out so much nostalgia in me. They nailed everything about this movie. It stayed true to the original, while still appealing to an adult audience.

The Great Wall: Terrible movie, stay away. They spent all their effort getting Matt Damon to star, and forgot they had to make a movie.

Logan: Loved it. I'm a huge X-Men fan, and I'm going to miss Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart. I loved that it was very character driven. I feel like X-Men is really the only superhero series that still cares about characters (I haven't watched Wonder Women yet). 

Edited by swhitmore, 25 June 2017 - 09:42 PM.

• CBers likes this

#663 Blueeyiz702 OFFLINE  

Blueeyiz702

Advanced

• Members
  • 757 posts
  • Local time: 08:38 AM
  • LocationLaying My Mom to Rest In Piece.(August 1941-August 2018)

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

All i can say about Wonder Women,is i never what to meet that &^%$# in a Dark Alley! :o

#664 Diedrich OFFLINE  

Diedrich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • Local time: 11:38 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

All i can say about Wonder Women,is i never what to meet that &^%$# in a Dark Alley! :o

WW: decent movie, WAY too much Chris Pine! I felt like the movie became all about him. That's where they lost the "wonder" for me (pun intended).

Baby Driver: Fantastic movie! despite being extremely predictable - a plot line I've seen a dozen times before.

#665 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 9691 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:22 PM

Just watched Annihilation. So good!

#666 Blueeyiz702 OFFLINE  

Blueeyiz702

Advanced

• Members
  • 757 posts
  • LocationLaying My Mom to Rest In Piece.(August 1941-August 2018)

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:43 AM

Avengers: Infinity War 

First time i ever saw the Avengers get The Smackdown Put on there Candy Asses,haha. Thanos and his Goons just dismantled the Avengers!! 

#667 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 AM

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:50 AM

The Apu Trilogy has been on my 'to watch list' for a number of years but with 3 kids and a wife who isn't keen on foreign cinema stalled me from getting around to watching them.  Then when the recent Simpsons "scandal" about Apu brought to light that Apu is actually named after the character in these films - well, now I had to watch it.

They are fantastic.  Poignant and beautifully shot they remind me of something from Goddard or Truffaut, Ray here had created something like Indian neo-realism.   Highly recommended.

#668 jachin99 OFFLINE  

jachin99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • Local time: 11:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:04 AM

Just finished Ready Player One, and everyone liked it including the wife who hates most games and 80s movies.  The visual and sound effects were really cool, and there were a ton of pop culture references from the 80s and 90s.  It really wasn't as cheezy as we thought it would be, and it does a good job of holding your attention

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Movie, Discussion, Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users