Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

CBers

I finally got around to watching Chef last night after always hearing it be recommended. It was realistic take on the restaurant industry that left you walking away feeling good. It was refreshing to watch a movie that told a good story and wasn't packed with filler.

Yeah, I liked Chef.

Chef was great and I loved the soundtrack.

Chef was such a pleasant surprise! Jon Farveau (? I don't know how to spell it) is a talented writer/director/actor.

Thanks guys.

Keep meaning to watch this, but never have.

Will find the time over the upcoming holiday.

adamstewiegreen

Watched It chapter 2 and Rambo Last Blood.

Meh.

It chapter 2 felt like it was mostly a rehash of It chapter 1. It was disappointing.

Oh how far Rambo has fallen. The last 20 minutes of Last Blood felt like a sadistic version of Home Alone. I really didn't like it, lacked spark, imagination and humanity. Its the worst kind of action movie: a depressing one.

• Like 1

WilhelmStroker

I have IT Chapter 2 on my list of things to watch but am not in a hurry. And judging by your comment about Rambo I'll stay far away from that one.

Watched:

Manson: Music from an unsound mind. Documentary focused on Manson's attempts on becoming a rock star. 
A Colt is my passport. Cool Japanese film noir with a great soundtrack. 
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons. 5th one in the series. I'm a big fan of the series.

WilhelmStroker

2 more....

Psycho. Not seen this in years, still an amazing movie.

The Mole Song: Hong Kong Capriccio. Completely bonkers fun by Takeshi Miike. 

Diedrich

Jumanji: The Next Level was a fun flick! It was equal to the first one in entertainment and humor. So if you liked the first one, you'll like this one too! One thing though - the cluelessness of the grandfather characters got old quick and they KEPT using that same cluelessness throughout most of the movie; it got quite annoying. But overall, it was a fun film.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

WilhelmStroker
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains - Eighties movie about teenage girls starting their own band. Not very exciting but weird to see a very young Laura Dern who basically hasn't changed...

Clerks. Loved this when it came out, it hasn't aged very well but still a fun watch.

Mallrats. See above.

Never say never again. Still very funny in places, especially the infamous pen scene. 

The spy who loved me. Typical Bond.

A view to a kil. More typical Bond. And Grace Jones.

My name is bruce. B-movie with Bruce Campbell. Very funny.

• 3 weeks later...
Diedrich

I really enjoyed Super-8 (2011) The train screen was like [emoji2962] I don't really remember it being released in the theaters.

adamstewiegreen

A simple favour - weird tone shifts throughout the movie. Like they started with comic relief and by the end it just over took the movie. I'm not sure it totally worked, but it made a completely unbelievable and ridiculous movie enjoyable (would have been a bad movie if played straight).

1917 - this is a very impressive faux single take WW1 movie. I thought the one take allusion was done better than Birdman. But on top of that it's very well acted and visually stunning too. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Diedrich

A simple favour - weird tone shifts throughout the movie. Like they started with comic relief and by the end it just over took the movie. I'm not sure it totally worked, but it made a completely unbelievable and ridiculous movie enjoyable (would have been a bad movie if played straight).

I liked it because it has my movie girlfriend Anna Kendrick. But yeah, the tone of the movie was disjointed.

adamstewiegreen

Parasite:  I'm not saying anything about this movie.  Don't read reviews or anything, just see it.

WilhelmStroker

Yeah Parasite is fantastic, my favourite movie of the year.

Recently watched:

Salad Days. Documentary about the music scene in Washington with bands like Fugazi/Dischord record label

Blue Thunder. Eighties cheese.

A Dangerous Method. I love most of David Cronenberg's movies, but this didn't do much for me.

Dibbes

Been watching and re-watching a whole bunch of old movies ever since I started using @@pünktchen ´s new Live-TV plugin... Just finished Highlander, which I hadn't seen for at least 20 years...  :)

Edited by Dibbes

WilhelmStroker

Been watching and re-watching a whole bunch of old movies ever since I started using @@pünktchen ´s new Live-TV plugin... Just finished Highlander, which I hadn't seen for at least 20 years...  :)

Yeah that plugin is good fun, it's given me things I didn't remember I had. Highlander was my favourite movie as a kid, it hasn't aged very well, but hey, there can be only one!

I watched Colour out of space. Lovercraftian horror with Nicholas Cage and a bit of Cronenberg body horror thrown in. Definite throwbacks to other eighties horror movies as well so a fun watch.

Also watched I Lost My Body. Animated movie about a hand (yes) trying to get reunited with its body. Lots of flashbacks, and a very well drawn, interesting story. Really liked this.

Edited by WilhelmStroker
  • Like 1

adamstewiegreen

Code8 - alright budget "superhero" flick ... however completely forgettable

Terminator: Dark Fate - it had some **serious** problems but was still better than I expected.  WAY better than the new Rambo.  No where near T1 or T2 but certainly better than all the others.

Jimi Hendrix: Live at Woodstock - it's Jimi, what more do I gotta say?

Certified Copy:  Two people - walking and talking.  If you hated Linklater's "Before ..." trilogy stay far far away from this one.  If you loved it, you'll probably love this movie.

WilhelmStroker

The Lighthouse.

That was right up my street. Atmospheric black and white, great performances by both actors, weirdness and horror. And Willem Dafoe farting and Robert Pattinson masturbating :D The sound design reminded me a lot of Eraserhead.

I had to follow that up with South Park the movie though for some lighter entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...
adamstewiegreen

I have The Lighthouse ready and waiting for me.  Just waiting for a night the stars align and my little brats decide to stay in bed.  I still have some of those Eraserhead sounds etched into my subconscious.

I've seen a couple movies recently:

A beautiful day in the Neighborhood - quite disappointing.  I know Fred Rogers was an eccentric, but this film makes him look like he couldn't even hold an adult conversation, and because of that he comes across as a simpleton.  Given that he had numerous degrees in various fields (from broadcasting to theology) - he was anything but a simpleton.  Add to that most of the conversations are ripped from speeches he gave or straight from his show, this feels fake and disingenuous.  No wonder the reporter wanted his name changed for the movie.

Alien 3 (Assembly Cut) - this is the not-Director's director's cut - put together from David Fincher's notes as Fincher himself refused to make a director's cut.  It's actually not all that bad.  By far the worst part was the decision to (a little more than) occasionally use CGI for the zenomorph in 1992!!!.  (a year before Jurassic Park) But other than that, yeah, definitely not terrible - it's one of those unfortunate doomed to fail movie sequels.  How could he possibly have followed Alien and Aliens?

WilhelmStroker

Zombieland Double Tap. Not as funny as the first one but still had its moments.

The saddest music in the world. I'm a big fan of Guy Maddin's movies (the ones i've seen) and this has all his trademarks. Looks like a silent movie from the twenties with quick editing and has some very funny moments.

Bait. Set in Cornwall and deals with the tensions between locals and tourism / gentrification. Very relatable. Loved this.

Edited by WilhelmStroker

• 2 weeks later...
adamstewiegreen

JoJo Rabbit - My wife walked out within the first 10 minutes.  It's a great movie!  I really enjoyed it's dark, quirky humor.

Incendies - this is the 2nd film from one of my favorite directors (Denis Villeneuve, his first being Polytechnique).  This is superb, he steps his game up big time to make an unpredictable, gripping and touching story.  Possibly his best film! (which is no small thing as he directed Arrival and Blade Runner 2049)

Where is my Friend's House? - I watched it again.  It's just so refreshing to watch a movie that is this simple and "Good" (morally, not aesthetically).  It's the type of movie Hollywood seems hell-bent not to make.

Edited by adamstewiegreen

Recently watched:

Parasite: fantastic movie! Great it won the Oscar.
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: Good comedy-drama film. I watched it being on vacation in Greece in order to buy Athens apartments. I love Tarantino movies. 
The Gentlemen by Guy Ritchie: interesting comedy.

Edited by Ed5
Removed dubious link

WilhelmStroker
Melvins The Colossus of destiny. Documentary about the band Melvins. Love the band and this is a great and funny documentary. Weird to see Chris Cornell in it... (the documentary is from 2016)

Sample this!. Another documentary this time about the legendary song Apache by the Incredible Bongo band which got sampled and cut up by loads of hip hop artists. 

Jdiesel

Anyone watch Ford v Ferrari? Its on my list of movies to see unfortunately I am the only one in my house who has it on their list. Might have to find some personal time to watch this one. 

adamstewiegreen

The Name of the Rose.  It was ok.  The movie probably trims too much "fat" from the book.  Now I'd like to see what a good filmmaker could do with Foucault's Pendulum ...

Raw:  A french horror/thriller.  Budget but well made.  The ending was clever and it made me chuckle a bit.

Zombieland Double Tap - If you liked the first one then there's more of that right here!

Knives Out: Possibly the most air tight murder mystery movie I've ever seen.  Funny, clever and unpredictable.  I'll be first in line at the theatre if there is a sequel - (as much as a hate hollywood milking a franchise) I wouldn't mind more Benoit Blanc. (and a quick internet search has confirmed that there is a sequel on its way)

WilhelmStroker

Raw and Knives out are on my list of movies I need to see.. Watched:

House of the dead. One of the worst rated movies on pretty much every site and definitely terrible acting, cheesy special effects and random shots of the video game it's based on but I found it highly amusing and cheesy.

Unlike Climax. That will go on my list of unpleasant movies I never want to watch again, next to Irreversible by the same director.... The music and dancing was great and energetic but the violence was pretty unpleasant, and whatever dialogue there was was awful. 

adamstewiegreen

The Lighthouse: The preferred "The Witch".  The main characters psychosis is, in my opinion, too sudden ... probably requires a second viewing before I decide whether I liked it or not...

The Elephant Man:  A very humane movie.  I rather enjoyed it.  For a David Lynch movie it is remarkably accessible and still very "Lynchian".

Star War: Rise of Skywalker: Terrible. Terrible.  Terrible.  I don't know who to blame, the director? the editor? the writers? this is a mess from start to finish.

Full Metal Jacket:  While the entire movie is quite good, the first act outshines the rest by such a large degree that it feels somewhat uneven.  On the plus side it isn't set in the jungles of Vietnam, go ahead name another Vietnam war movie not set in the jungle ... I'll wait...

In Bruges: I have a soft spot for black comedy.  I rather like this movie.

Doulos:  This is a classic example of a movie where filmmakers were forbidden to show criminals profiting from their crimes.  Nevertheless, it was a good flick.  And Melville packs it with his undeniable style.  Bonus fact:  In first century A.D. Greek "doulos" means slave or servant.  In French, apparently it means hat or snitch. 

Edited by adamstewiegreen

adamstewiegreen

Come and See:  The title of the movie invites us to see the atrocities of war through the eyes (and ears) of a teenage boy whose 'romantic' viewpoint on the subject (just look at the way he smiles about the thought at the beginning, like he's in love) very quickly comes tumbling down after trying to join the local militia.  This is a brutal movie.