Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

Guest asrequested

Hated it. :D See my previous review in this thread.

I saw. For me, the 'science' is almost superfluous. I barely acknowledged it's presence. I think this could be Brad Pitt's finest hour. Listening to this interview from 2004,

https://youtu.be/CFhl2GPYP8g

his character study for parts he plays, is remarkable. I feel that in Ad Astra, he has reached further. His quality of stillness was masterful. I will be reflecting on this movie and his portrayal, for some time. The message. This could eventually be my favorite movie.

I've long put this movie out of my mind but the incomprehensible and completely unbelievable plot line was also a huge problem for me.

Glad you enjoyed it though - to each their own :).

Guest asrequested

All movies like this are unbelievable. They are fantastic and nonsensical, and should be viewed as such. But the characters.....

adamstewiegreen

I'm looking forward to ad astra - I didn't get a chance to see it in the theatre. As for sci-fi requiring believable science, I don't think it's all that necissary. Solaris was also scientific nonsense, but brilliant.

I recently watched the 2012 German film Barbara, about a woman trying to escape life in East Germany. It's slow and understated but well acted and definitely worth watching.

All movies like this are unbelievable. They are fantastic and nonsensical, and should be viewed as such. 

We'll agree to disagree there too as there are many movies of this ilk that have credible plots - even though they may deal with things that are not currently possible.

Contact, Interstellar, Arrival, all come to mind.  Even 2001 or 2010.  The plots makes sense and are believable.

Guest asrequested

We'll agree to disagree there too as there are many movies of this ilk that have credible plots - even though they may deal with things that are not currently possible.

Contact, Interstellar, Arrival, all come to mind.  Even 2001 or 2010.  The plots makes sense and are believable.

You really thought Interstellar made more sense than Ad Astra? It was well acted, but the rest was hokum. Gravity as the fifth cosmological dimension, and humans had evolved to the point of existing outside of cosmological constants to be able to manipulate spacetime....with gravity? I mean....really? Again, the only decent part of the movie were the characters. Arrival also had great characters but the rest was a mess. Contact was always going to work well, as it came from Carl Sagan. But again, acting and characters. Gravity is another example. Purely character driven. There was nothing else in the movie, as is with all of those. Ad Astra makes perfect sense from a human perspective. It had a very discernible lineage. I was able to see and follow every development. And listening to Brad Pitt describe their intentions for the movie after watching it, it matched exactly what I took away from it. It is a very subtle movie, so maybe you were so bothered by your perception of the science, that you missed everything else? And you think a monolith built by unknown extraterrestrials is more believable than a deep space exploration looking for the possibility extraterrestrial life? Well, I guess if you choose to believe without seeing, then sure.

Jdiesel

SciFi doesn't need to be scientifically accurate but exist in the realm of possibility for me. When major plot points revolve around bad science or even worse introduce plot holes it takes me out of the movie.

I was reading something the other day about warp speed travel and the blurring of stars made popular by Star Trek and often replicated even to today. The reality is that because stars are spaced so far apart even traveling at warp 10 (+1000x the speed of light) the stars would fail to wizz past you creating that streak of light from passing stars. Looks cool though and doesn't bother me though.

Interstellar is touted as one of the most scientifically accurate Sci-Fi movies ever...  Space and time are actually relative and time is affected by gravity.  There are a ton of experiments that prove this.  I remember seeing one with Steven Hawking where they took an atomic clock to a very high mountain (less gravity than at sea level) and showed how time actually elapsed differently.  Much of what happens in Interstellar is theoretical, but is actually very credible given the science we understand right now.

And, no totally accurate science is not necessary - especially if you're talking about a "Star Wars" type movie, but these are not those. These types of movies I do expect to follow at least some basic realities (like no sound in space).  But, again, that was only a minor annoyance.  The big problem with this movie for me was the plot.  Nothing about what went on made much sense or was remotely believable to me.

In any case, all of these are for the viewer's enjoyment so, if you enjoy them then that's all that matters.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

So humans evolving into superbeings and manipulating the fabric of the universe is believable to you. Got it.

EDIT:

Apologies. I've been a little cranky :)

Edited by Doofus

dredd1963

Arrbee99@ I like the Earling films too, most British films of that period are well worth watching. Sadly most people today will turn up their noses at B&W films, they don't know what they are missing.

arrbee99

Arrbee99@ I like the Earling films too, most British films of that period are well worth watching. Sadly most people today will turn up their noses at B&W films, they don't know what they are missing.

Sad but true - 'if your going to watch one of those black and white things again, I'm going to bed'.

Some people just don't appreciate Alec Guinness as half a dozen D'Ascoynes, or Katie Johnson in The Ladykillers, or Alastair Sim as Miss Fritton, or just listening to Joan Greenwoods voice, or Margaret Rutherford / Terry-Thomas in anything.

dredd1963

I tend to find that's very few films that peek my interest these days, too many remakes shows the lack of ability to create new films these day and purely a money grab. Prequels never look right when made years after.

Too many lead actor changes, the current James Bond as killed it for me. It should be ended. To me kinsman and Johnny English are worthy successors.

On a positive side I do enjoy nit-picking films witch are history base.

WilhelmStroker
The Vanishing. Not seen this since it came out (watched it in the cinema). Still pretty decent and creepy movie.

The Wedding singer. Guilty pleasure. Still very funny even though I am really not a fan of Adam Sandler...

The Velocipastor. Does what it says on the tin :D 

Evil Aliens. One of the worst things I've ever seen. Although...

Doghouse. Tries to be as clever as Shaun of the dead and the other Cornetto trilogy movies but ends up being a worse Lesbian vampire killers. And that was awful.

adamstewiegreen

The Vanishing. Not seen this since it came out (watched it in the cinema). Still pretty decent and creepy movie.

The Wedding singer. Guilty pleasure. Still very funny even though I am really not a fan of Adam Sandler...

The Velocipastor. Does what it says on the tin :D

Evil Aliens. One of the worst things I've ever seen. Although...

Doghouse. Tries to be as clever as Shaun of the dead and the other Cornetto trilogy movies but ends up being a worse Lesbian vampire killers. And that was awful.

Which "The Vanishing" did you see? The American (w/ k. Sutherland) or the original Dutch (? I'm pretty sure it was Dutch...)?

I haven't seen the American version but the original is very good and definitely creepy.

WilhelmStroker

Which "The Vanishing" did you see? The American (w/ k. Sutherland) or the original Dutch (? I'm pretty sure it was Dutch...)?

I haven't seen the American version but the original is very good and definitely creepy.

The original Dutch one, not seen the American version. It's one of Steve Buscemi's favourite movies apparently:

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/steve-buscemi-10-favourite-arthouse-films-of-all-time/

He's got Man bites dog on it as well, which is very dark and very funny.

adamstewiegreen

I haven't been watching many movies lately. 

I did make an effort to see Ad Astra.  It wasn't bad but it wasn't brilliant either.  I didn't have a problem with the sci-fi elements but I did have a problem with the story, or at least how it was told.  it felt like something written by someone who was trying to come to terms with their own father's commitment to a career.  That's not a bad topic, but my problem with it was that it came across so heavy handed that it was distracting (and maybe a little preachy?).  There was really nothing more to it.  So all those comparisons to the sci-fi greats that the critics gushed all over this movie don't really apply.  This is a movie for simpletons by comparison.  In great sci-fi movies the sci-fi is an important aspect of the story, here the sci-fi is accidental or inconsequential - the father could have been across the country and Brad Pitt could have been going on a road trip and the movie would have been - basically - the same.

I finally watched the original Lolita.  Quite a brilliant piece of film making by Kubrick (as usual) who had his hands tied due to the censors.  He said given hindsight he wouldn't have made the film, but I wonder if it actually made the film better.  My wife came in while I was 45 minutes into it and caught on quite quickly what was happening.

WilhelmStroker
I walked with a zombie. Classic 1940s atmospheric `horror'. 

Inflatable Sex Doll of The Wastelands. A weird movie title. Japanese 60ies movie, directed by someone who had a writing credit on Branded to Kill (which I really like). Enjoyed this too.

Spaceboy

Just wanted to say I really appreciate this thread and the out there movies suggested

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jdiesel

I finally got around to watching Chef last night after always hearing it be recommended. It was realistic take on the restaurant industry that left you walking away feeling good. It was refreshing to watch a movie that told a good story and wasn't packed with filler.

adamstewiegreen

Chef was such a pleasant surprise! Jon Farveau (? I don't know how to spell it) is a talented writer/director/actor. His Mandalorean series, while by no means perfect, has been entertaining too.