Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

WilhelmStroker

I tried to watch Body of Evidence yesterday as I wanted one to watch one of the movies from the Razzies book I'm reading....God that was bad. Never saw it when it came out. Madonna can't act at all and the water bottle on my desk is more erotic than the entire movie. Ugh.

adamstewiegreen

Birds of Prey:  Here was my thinking, Harley Quinn was the best part of Suicide Squad so this has to be better, right? ... Wrong!  Didn't even finish it, just terrible.  The best part about it was that the Joker is mentioned so many times throughout that I thought to myself (jokingly), "man, this movie is seriously failing the Bechdel test".  Then there was a scene with dialogue that would pass the Bechdel test - but it was so cringe it made me think of a Rick and Morty scene where Morty is forced to tell a story that passes the test while Rick is suffocating.

• 3 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker
Species. Some good old nineties cheesy fun.

Sucker Punch. Had to watch this after seeing this brilliant review of it by Mark Kermode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzfwDkwUGnM. He is of course spot on. Terrible terrible movie. Awful soundtrack, it's basically a poor 2 hour long music video that exists so that Zack Snyder can have girls walk around in sexy costumes. The special effects look awful too. 

Swept away. More Guy Ritchie and Madonna. She still can't act. 

Miles Davis: Birth of the cool. Documentary about the life and career of Miles Davis..

Looking for Johnny: The legend of Johnny Thunders. Documentary about Johnny Thunders from the New York Dolls. Not a massive fan of the band but I like watching music documentaries. This felt a bit flat and didn't really cover his death.

Belle De Jour. I think this was the first Luis Bunuel movie I've seen. Enjoyed this a lot, Catherine Deneuve was very good and the way it weaved in and out of her fantasies (by announcing them with certain sounds) was very well done. 

Nude Nuns with big guns. Meh, had to turn this off as it was so dumb.

Gruesome Twosome. Typical Herschell Gordon Lewis gore.

The babysitter. Suprisingly enjoyable and very funny in places, about a boy whose babysitter belongs to a satanic cult.

Spookies. Meh. 

808. Documentary about the famous Roland 808 drum machine. Goldie is mad, and I could have done without most of the recent talking heads as they didn't add anything to the story.

adamstewiegreen

Kermode was spot on about Snyder and his (very brief) comparison to Roger Corman is apt - Corman did/does similar things but at least Corman came in it his films with an idea first rather than just (in Kermode's words) "Rubber, rubber, rubber!!!" (ha ha!)

Someone made a doc about the 808 drum machine?  Cool ... I guess?

Duel - A traveling business man pisses off a trucker.  This is Spielberg's first theatrical release and was actually a made for tv movie first then released internationally into theatres after.  No one would ever guess this was a made for tv movie.  It's simply just a really good solid thriller.

Ride in the Whirlwind - Very early Jack Nicholson - about 10 years before he would play the role that actually made him a celebrity (Chinatown).  He also wrote the movie.  It's good but a little slow.

The Host - From the guy who brought us Parasite.  I just couldn't get into it.

WilhelmStroker

Yup and it's a pretty interesting documentary i thought. 

I haven't seen the Host yet, but Duel is a great movie.

Other things I watched:

The passion of darkly noon. This is by the same directory who did the Reflecting Skin which is a movie I really like. This is good as well, has a lynchian vibe and goes completely bonkers in the last bit. 

Blood & Flesh: the reel life and ghastly death of Al Adamson. Documentary about Al Adamson who made loads of thrashy movies in the sixties and seventies before getting killed and buried in his own house by someone who was doing work in his house.

Satan's sadists: An Al Adamson movie, does what it says on the tin.

• 3 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker

Recently watched:

Spawn. Yeah this hasn't aged well at all. Awful special effects, awful acting. Terrible.

Foxy Brown. THis was very entertaining, some great one liners and cheesy action. Pam Grier is badass.

Dreamland. This was weird, but I found it very enjoyable. It's the Bruce McDonald one, who also did Pontypool (which I still haven't seen). 

The Boondock Saints. Trying way too hard to be a Tarantino clone, pretty unpleasant violent movie. Unlikeable characters and extremely weird accents.

Naked Gun 33 1/3. Yup still funny.

Suburbicon. Watched this because of the Coen brothers but it didnt much for me. Pretty much 2 movies in one and neither are fleshed out properly.

• 2 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker

More movies with Pam Grier as she's badass. Enjoyed all of them.

Coffy.

Friday Foster. 

Sheba Baby. 

Scream, Blacula, Scream. (and Blacula, but that doesn't have Pam in it) 

Given Joel Schumacher's death:

Lost Boys. Hasn't aged well but a fun watch.

Trespass. Terrible terrible movie. Lots of shouting and gun pointing and not much else. One for the crap Nic Cage collection. 

WilhelmStroker

Infamous. Basically Natural Born Killers / Bonnie & Clyde for the instagram generation. Awful acting, unlikable characters, and some glaring plot holes (rob a bank, cover your face but not the pretty distinct tattoo on your arm...seriously??). 

BillOatman

Watched Hamilton today. Original broadway cast performing a show.  I'm not one for musicals, but my family wanted it so I watched too and enjoyed it.  Very well done.

WilhelmStroker

Watched:

Malcolm X. For some reason I'd never seen this when it came out. 3 hours was pretty long but a great powerful movie.

BlackkKlansman. Really enjoyed this, a lot funnier than I expected it to be.

Rewatched Never say never again. Still my favourite James Bond movie as it's funny, cheesy and just a good time.

WilhelmStroker

VHYes. About a boy taping over his parents wedding tape with cable tv segments and home videos. Has some funny moments but I much rather watch UHF (Weird Al) in the same vein.

Cherry Falls. Typical 2000 slasher movie with a twist, as the killer only kills virgins, which prompts people to try and have sex as quickly as possible. Pretty decent slasher movie, with Brittany Murphy as lead.

Black mama, white mama. Another Pam Grier movie. A bit meh.

Orgies of Edo. Anthology featuring three stories revolving around the punishment and torture of women. MOvie looks absolutely gorgeous and the filmography is very good. This was entertaining but I did struggle with some of the depictions of race and the violence against women, and the abortion in the last bit was fake but shocking.

RoboGeisha. Bonkers Japanese fun.

I am Divine. Documentary about the drag queen Divine who did a number of movies with John Waters. Not bad.

adamstewiegreen

A Hidden Life - This is very good. It's definitely a Terrence Malick film (i.e. not for everyone) -but it's not as cryptic as Tree of Life or as distracted as To The Wonder. It sticks to the story while also delivering Malick's philosophical insights and at 3 hours long, it takes its time.

Hoaxed - On MSM bias against conservative causes/voices and the new rise of independent journalism (Cernovich, Tim Pool etc...).

• 1 month later...
WilhelmStroker

Surf Nazis Must Die. A Troma movie so it does what it says on the tin. Not very good.

White Fire. Very typical cheesy Eighties action movie with some very dodgy scenes (brother ogling his naked sister, saying if only you weren't my sister...). Some hilarious dialogue and fight scenes though.

Police Story. Very funny Jackie Chan although I watched the American dubbed version which was a bit grating.

Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion. Despite some dodgy scenes (rape) and gratuitous nudity and violence I really enjoyed this. Very well shot, and you can see why this was an influence on Tarantino.

Host. Heavily hyped horror movie all filmed on Zoom. Very meh, I found most characters extremely annoying, and didn't find it scary in the slightest.

WilhelmStroker

Brainscan - Early nineties horror cheese with an interesting soundtrack by George Clinton, and a few bands I was suprised to hear.

The Beyond. Early eighties horror, not that interesting/

The accidental spy. Fun Jackie Chan flick, with some amazingly choreographed fighting scenes

Sonatine. Pretty generic Japanese yakuza movie

Dead Heat. Cheesy eighties horror flick with some cringeworthy scenes and one liners. And naming your main character Roger Mortis is just terrible.

The 3 Bill and Ted movies. The first one still holds up ok, the second one was not as good and the 3rd was suprisingly entertaining.

adamstewiegreen

Mr. Jones - The story of the journalist who broke the story of the Soviet famine brought on by their removal of wealthy farmers from the land and the millions who died because of it.

Dogville - Kind of a minimalist stage-play on film.  Long and slow but not at all boring.  About a woman who seeks refuge and the town who exploits that need.  Worth seeing.

Ordet - A masterful and moving film from one of the greats of transcendental film-making, Carl Dreyer.

• 2 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker

Superfly. One of the classic blaxsploitation movies but this was pretty boring I thought. 

To the devil a daughter. Later Hammer horror movie. The ending is terrible, Nastasja Kinski was way too young to do a nude scene, but other than that it was pretty decent.

Lost girls & Love Hotels. Alexandra Dadarrio is lost in Tokyo and has a string of kinky sex with random men until she falls in love with a member of the yakuza. Has its moments but it's never explained why she behaves the way she does so a bit unsatisfying.

The Vampire Lovers. Typical Hammer movie. Good fun.

Flesh and blood - the hammer heritage of horror. Pretty dated documentary about Hammer horror.

• 4 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker

Sweet Sweetback's badassss song. One of the first blacksploitation movies. Not much of a story and a bit of a slog to sit through. Great soundtrack though.

Rope. Hitchcock movie, all filmed in one location and all filmed in 8 minute shots. Enjoyed this.

The killer must kill again. Giallo movie from 1975. Not bad, but a dodgy rape/sex scene wasn't really necessary. Then again, it's a giallo.

Satan's mistress. Pretty terrible early eighties horror movie, I enjoyed the soundscapes on the soundtrack though.

The reincarnation of Isabel. Vampire Giallo. Not much of a story but some of the seance scenes looked amazing.

Onibaba. Classic Japanese movie from 1964. Very simple, very intense and very well filmed.

• 2 weeks later...
Diedrich

Over The Moon - Netflix Original animated movie. Really nice story, GORGEOUS colors and visuals, fun characters, GREAT music and a few amazing musical scenes. Can't recommend this one enough for a family movie night or just those who enjoy animated movies.

• 2 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker

His House - Atmospheric contemporary horror. I liked this a lot.
Elvira, Mistress of the dark. Cheesy eighties
Man Bites Dog. Not seen this in years. About a documentary crew following a Belgian serial killer. Hilariously funny and also very dark in places.
Kurt & Courtney. Documentary about Kurt Cobain.
Hit and run squad. South Korean action movie that felt really flat, even during car chases.
In search of darkness. Documentary about Eighties horror movies. Pretty interesting.
Invention for Destruction. Movie by the Czech director Karel Zeman. A mix of anmiation and live acting. Very well done, especially since it was made in 1958.
Pale Flower. Japanese film noir. Enjoyed this a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker

A few more:
Robocop 2. Not seen this since it came out, it is not a patch on the first one.

Cool As Ice. Yup. With Vanilla Ice. It's as bad as you think it is. 

Booksmart. I'm obviously not the target audience but this is a  pretty funny coming of age movie with some very funny gags.

Blow Up. Sixties movie about a photographer who unknowingly takes pictures of a murder. Nothing much happened.

• 1 month later...
sooty234

Wonder Woman 1984

So hammy....with a thick slice of cheese. Patty Jenkins should be ashamed, and never allowed to direct a major movie, again. Maybe with some bread and mayo, it might make a nice sandwich? But not a movie...and certainly not 2.5 hours. I hate myself a little, for watching it.

• Like 1

David Patt
2 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Wonder Woman 1984

So hammy....with a thick slice of cheese. Patty Jenkins should be ashamed, and never allowed to direct a major movie, again. Maybe with some bread and mayo, it might make a nice sandwich? But not a movie...and certainly not 2.5 hours. I hate myself a little, for watching it.

Yeah. I agree with you. After Wonder Woman movie i was really excited for this. And even for the 80´s feeling. It was snoozefest as hell. Some scenes was good but then movie should be 1 hour long. 3/10. 

FrostByte

Agree about WW 1984 being a snoozefest.  Thought the villain very unimaginative and just some plot to bring Steve Trevor back from the dead because that's what the whole story was about.  The wife and I both had to fight off boredom with several breaks in order to finish it in one night

sooty234

The thing is... I didn't much like Wonder Woman, so I was expecting WW84 to be rubbish. And even with such low expectations, it exceeded them. Patty Jenkins should never direct, again. She's utter shite, just like J. J. Abra-douche-ms. My big toe (on my left foot) could do a better job (my toe can't read you know). It's a good thing we have Zack Snyder to make things better.