Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

I also loved Hector and the search for happiness.

It was really well done. It gets a 9/10 from me.

I am going to watch Birdman tomorrow night.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Heckler

I watched Dumb and Dumber To because I loved the original, hated the lame prequel and wanted to see if they could capture the originals humour again.

They couldn't.

As far as comedies go, it's head and shoulders above most of the crap that hollywood puts out... major studios just can't do proper comedy it seems. You have to let the smaller indie companies do them, because they aren't facing up to a bunch of bean counters worried about money more than product.

So whilst it's not that good, it's still better than 90% of the mass produced hollywood comedies... that's not a good thing, it's just the way it is.

There were several moments I chuckled and even a few I laughed semi out loud, even a few guffaws. But it lacked the sparkle of the original and I was ultimately disappointed, it certainly isn't a movie that you'd want to rewatch again.

I'd give it 6/10

Then I watched Big Hero 6, and I loved it... everything you want from an animated movie. Laughs, feels, a decent plot that's fun for kids and adults and it stands up to repeated viewings. I did find that the attempt to try and blend Japanese and American culture a little irritating at first... Probably because I am neither and found the blending unnecessary... But gloss over that and underneath it's your typical family orientated plotline... I think it appealed because I lost my older brother and the plot echoed those feelings back at me... I'm not afraid to say that the sad bit near the end had me in tears... But after losing 10 people in 7yrs (2 friends and 8 family)... I find that scenes around death affect me greatly, and those that do it well affect me more... This falls into the mildly affected me, it got a few tears rather than the huge blubbering wreck I became when watching About Time (A film I highly recommend BTW).

I'd give BH6 a solid 8/10

I'd also give About time a very respectful 9/10

At the moment I've got the following lined up to watch, but I can't decide which...

Fury

Birdman

Son of a Gun

Theory of Everything

Nightcrawler

The Interview

The Riot Club

Hector and the search for Happiness

Before I sleep

The Judge

Tombstones

• Like 1

TolkienBard

Big Hero 6 was way more fun than I first expected it to be. It's nowhere close to their best work, but it is a solid entrant to the catalog.

• Like 2

Heckler

Tombstones, should actually have been 'A Walk Among The Tombstones'... Not Tombstone the 90's Wyatt Earp movie.... which is an excellent movie and I highly recommend it to all.

TolkienBard

Tombstones, should actually have been 'A Walk Among The Tombstones'... Not Tombstone the 90's Wyatt Earp movie.... which is an excellent movie and I highly recommend it to all.

Ah, Tombstone, the movie that was incredibly popular and succesful for all the wrong reasons. A film that was supposed to help re-establish Kurt Russell as a Hollywood action heavyweight wound up with Russell chewing the scenery while Val Kilmer turned in one of the finest performances of his career which was tragically overlooked come Oscar consideration time.

• Like 2

Swynol

Theory of everything, very powerful film and great acting by the lead Eddie Redmayne. Highly recommend watching it. i dont like giving any film 10/10 so this will have to be a 9.5/10

• Like 1

shaefurr

Just saw 50 Shades of Grey.. and wow was it terribad. My wife and I thought both of the leads weren't very attractive in the first place, but there was absolutely no chemistry between them. The acting was very sub par, and the "intimate" scenes were boring, and the exact opposite of what they should have been. The entire film felt very unemotional and monotone. I'd give it a 3/10. Maybe go watch it once if you want, but I made the mistake of taking my wife for valentines day, which is not a good idea.

EDIT: I should add, don't take your girl expecting her to be in "that mood" after, It has the opposite effect lol

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 2

Having read portions of that book, there was no way they could translate that to a mass-market movie but I guess they even did a bad job of turning it into the new 9 1/2 weeks.

techywarrior

From my understanding (from my GF's description of the books), the writing is pretty terrible with the redeeming value being the sex. So I guess to make it a mass market movie they improved the writing (sounds like that wasn't hard to do) and removed the graphic sex that made the book so popular. And who thought this would end up well?

techywarrior

lol, and the problem with the movie industry, and society, is that this movie will make a fortune where other much better movies lose money. And then we get 5 sequels and 10 remakes of this trash.

• Like 2

Maleficarum

Isn't there like 3 books already ? So we're guaranteed at least two more outings of this nonsense.

dark_slayer

Theory of everything, very powerful film and great acting by the lead Eddie Redmayne. Highly recommend watching it. i dont like giving any film 10/10 so this will have to be a 9.5/10

Just saw it myself

Definitely not for everyone, but very powerful

The omnipresent disability truly comes to life. That doesn't usually sit well with most people, especially for movies. However, it truly does a fantastic job at bringing the audience to the experience of the protagonist. Lead actor was fantastic

It some ways it reminds me of a serious version of the satirical movie "Simple Jack" from within the real movie "Tropic Thunder" -- and a little of RDJ's conversation with Ben Stiller later on about how great his performance was in Simple Jack, but why it inevitably tanked in terms of mass appeal

TolkienBard

Having read portions of that book, there was no way they could translate that to a mass-market movie but I guess they even did a bad job of turning it into the new 9 1/2 weeks.

9 1/2 Weeks also starred a pair of much better looking leads that also had far more acting ability. Unfortunately, this film began with poorly written material, filled with more poorly written "sex scenes", and then was put onto the screen by allowing the original author final say on the script and removing all of the parts of the sex scenes that actually get the blood going.

Heckler

The books 50 Shades of grey are nothing like a realistic portrayal of a BDSM relationship.

I'm not going to go into detail... but a quick breakdown of some of the things in the book.

It's all about control, there's no attention payed to safe words and respecting the submissives role... and the one time there is... the Dom ignores it and continues. That's sexual assault.

Another time the man forces himself upon the girl... that's rape.

I could go on, but the entire book is about an abusive relationship where a woman is subjucated, abused, beaten and controlled in every way... Which is nothing like a real sub/dom relationship. In reality, it's only at certain times with both parties consent that control is given up... the entire book is about forcing control on a woman and making sure 'she knows her place'.

It's a pathetic attempt at literature that is so badly written that it's laughable, and apparently started out as twilight erotic fanfic. The author has no idea of the world that she is writing about, has a deluded sense of what is a healthy relationship, and no idea about proper BDSM relationships... It's like it was written by some teenage fangirl whose only knowledge of the subject is what she overheard other girls whispering about in the school hallways.

But on the plus side... We have finally found a worse love story than twilight.

• Like 1

godbodian
Heckler, on 15 Feb 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:Heckler, on 15 Feb 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:Heckler, on 15 Feb 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:Heckler, on 15 Feb 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:

The books 50 Shades of grey are nothing like a realistic portrayal of a BDSM relationship.

I'm not going to go into detail... but a quick breakdown of some of the things in the book.

It's all about control, there's no attention payed to safe words and respecting the submissives role... and the one time there is... the Dom ignores it and continues. That's sexual assault.

Another time the man forces himself upon the girl... that's rape.

I could go on, but the entire book is about an abusive relationship where a woman is subjucated, abused, beaten and controlled in every way... Which is nothing like a real sub/dom relationship. In reality, it's only at certain times with both parties consent that control is given up... the entire book is about forcing control on a woman and making sure 'she knows her place'.

It's a pathetic attempt at literature that is so badly written that it's laughable, and apparently started out as twilight erotic fanfic. The author has no idea of the world that she is writing about, has a deluded sense of what is a healthy relationship, and no idea about proper BDSM relationships... It's like it was written by some teenage fangirl whose only knowledge of the subject is what she overheard other girls whispering about in the school hallways.

To be honest, there are a lot of women that are so broken the thought of "safely" being abused or raped is their concept of BSDM or even worse a "normal" and EXCITING relationship (sexual or otherwise). Yeah it's sad... and the story itself is FILLED with cliché after cliché. The stuffed shirt business man with movie star good looks and a "six pack", just so happens to be into "sensitive" and romantic domination. LOL.

It's like I tell my daughters about why I don't like Twilight... "...okay, I get that Vampires as a whole are fiction but you don't find Vegan Vampires struggling to fit into a society while STILL remaining secretive, a little trite, offensive and obvious? Not to mention that they just so happen to be made out of glitter and beefing with the only true masculine characters in the story (aside from a father that's completely ignored and disregarded) who happen not only to be every cliché of masculinity but also ACTUALLY TURN INTO LARGE OVERSIZED DOGS?!?!" To which she looks at me, blankly stares, blinks twice, sighs softly shaking her head and says, "You don't get it..."

SMH.

Edited by godbodian

Heckler

Watched Supernova on Saturday... It's one I'd heard about but never got around to seeing before.  I actually got it confused with another movie as I thought it was the one that had George Cloony in and was panned by the critics.... Turns out that was Solaris (never seen that one either.

As far as sci-fi movies go... it wasn't that scary considering it was supposed to be scifi/horror. It was pretty predictable... performances were average rather than good. I almost didn't recognise James Spader at first, as I've gotten used to how he looks now rather than 15yrs ago... I'm more used to how he looked in Boston Legal and Blacklist than his previous movies these days.

But after watching it... I was neither sensing a feeling of enjoyment, nor one of disappointment... it was an average 'meh' film. Not one I'd watch again, perhaps not one I'd recommend to others... But then again, not one I tell people to avoid watching altogether.

I think that warrants a meh 5/10

gthrift

I watched A Walk Among the Tombstones and Transformers 4 yesterday. Transformers was as bad as everyone said it was. 3/10

A Walk Among The Tombstones was good. Similar in tone to Taken but different enough that it doesn't feel like a rehashed story. There is also a lot more substance to Tombstone, better, deeper characters, etc. 7.5/10

ScottIsAFool

there was absolutely no chemistry between them. 

Apparently that's because the two leads actually can't stand each other :)

You know these books started life as Twilight fan fiction, right? 8-) There's a reason they're bad.

spootdev

You know these books started life as Twilight fan fiction, right? 8-) There's a reason they're bad.

That is such a scarey statement it's beyond belief.

Heckler

I did know that... mainly because I said that in a previous comment further up this page.

Actually that's not quite true.

I said 'erotic twilight fanfic'

:)

Starkadius

Watched Supernova on Saturday... It's one I'd heard about but never got around to seeing before.  I actually got it confused with another movie as I thought it was the one that had George Cloony in and was panned by the critics.... Turns out that was Solaris (never seen that one either.

Finally someone mentions Solaris (even though it wasnt watched in this experience). Solaris is one of my favorite films mostly because of the mood it evokes; a dreamlike state at times. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic (if you are into ambient music that is).

If you enjoy the occasional psychological genre title such as The Fountain, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Tree of Life, Waking Life etc. then you might enjoy Solaris. It really is similar to those movies I mentioned (slow pace, story takes quite a while to pick up). I highly recommended it but only if you enjoy analysing the heck out of a movie like I do and seeing if there are any philosophical meanings to it or finding out more about the human psyche from a director's artistic standpoint. On the other hand if you did not enjoy any of those titles mentioned then I would steer clear of Solaris.

If anyone knows of other similar movies please let me know. The psychological genre is my favorite, especially psychological sci-fi.