Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

Cheesegeezer

I watched it a few months back, and it finished before it even got started.

Like the premise, but not executed well.

I guess Scarlett Johansson has to have a naff film every once in a while, although she was still looking hot ;)

Yeah she has a lot now, like Avengers, Captain America Winter Soldier, Lucy, Under the Skin

My favourite Johansson movie is The Island

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

I watched "The Drop" last night.

It's not an action movie by any means.  The storyline is ok.  But it's excellently acted by all. It feels a little more like a documentary but not filmed in that fashion.

I kinda enjoyed it alot, but you defo need to be in the mood for a dark drama to watch this one

CBers

Yeah she has a lot now, like Avengers, Captain America Winter Soldier, Lucy, Under the Skin

You don't like the AVENGERS movies then ;)

Heckler

well thats the last time i listen to you lot :-)

John Wick....facepalm

stylised violence with zero story line and a john woo body count....he loved that dog...

But that's what made it so good... it's not trying to be anythiing other than a pure action movie... and don't forget the car man... He really loved that car too.

If you didn't like John Wick... under no circumstances watch "Shoot Em Up" with Clive Owen... similar movie but with more humour.

ginjaninja

If u like sci fi and SJ , have u tried "under the skin"...less certain ..more evocative.

Cheesegeezer

If u like sci fi and SJ , have u tried "under the skin"...less certain ..more evocative.

See my quoted post on films I didn't think she was good in, although you got to see some SJ boobies lol :D

Heckler

I struggled with this one, found it kinda dull and only got halfway through it... Must watch it again on the big TV I have now as I was watching it on a crappy little 24" the first time. I didn't even get as far as the boobies... So I've got that to look forward to, but I feel I may be disappointed. I don't think they will live up to my expectations... They look so perfect when she's in a tight sweater or slinky dress, and I have many personal experiences of disappointment when unleashing bosoms into the light.  :)

• Like 1

Heckler

It's a Micheal Bay movie I can actually stomach the whole way through... In fact I've watched it several times. But then I like Ewan McGregor too and with SJ too... It's not a bad MB movie.

Interesting fact... there's a scene in The Island that MB reused in Transformers... ripped the entire scene from it and added a fucking robot in there.

Cheesegeezer

Interesting fact... there's a scene in The Island that MB reused in Transformers... ripped the entire scene from it and added a fucking robot in there.

Holy crap, well you learn something new everyday lol

swhitmore

I think this happens a lot more than you think. Stock footage is re-used to save money all the time.

Heckler

Here ya go @@Cheesegeezer

This shows it as two scenes, but it's actually elements from the same scene in The Island... This one is from Transformers 3... which was news to me as I heard there was a scene from the first transformers film. Currently looking for that scene and will edit with link if/when I find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7kcqB3thJM

My bad... it was a scene from Pearl Harbour that he reused in the first Transformers movie.

• Like 1

TolkienBard

I've noticed fottage re-used from time to time, but MB does seem to be a bit more overt about it than most that I can think of. What I tend to notice even more though is the rather prolific reuse of set pieces, especially houses in different movies. One would think that with as inexpensive as rotating sets has become, that being able to pick out same houses being used would be a thing of the past.

ScottIsAFool

Watch the Honest Trailers for transformers, you'll see he even uses the same shots in those films from other transformers films :)

• Like 1

Just watched "Nightcrawler" with jake gyllenhaal.

That is one messed up movie. Worth the watch if you can stand the idea that there are some really messed up sociopathic people out there I. The world...

ginjaninja

St Vincent with Bill Murray...

nothing new..but all done well....new take on/American version of  "about a boy"...

Bill's (seemingly) effortlessly watchable as always..

7.5 Recommended

similar temperament to another bill murray film "Broken Flowers" which is also good.

Heckler

Is it just me or does every Hollywood movie seem to use the same Prison set?

I dare say there aren't that many prisons in the US that are closed... they probably closed the one that had the most white people in it.

On another note... has anyone ever noticed that there is only ever one newspaper. Watch closely and everytime you see a papr in a TV show or Movie it's the same one.  I did read something that explained why, but I forget now.

• Like 2

Maleficarum

On another note... has anyone ever noticed that there is only ever one newspaper. Watch closely and everytime you see a papr in a TV show or Movie it's the same one. I did read something that explained why, but I forget now.

Oddly enough I was reading about this the other day. The prop was first made in the 1960s. It's to do with people having selective attention. We tend to focus on a certain sapects of a scene and ignore the rest. The newspaper generally isn't important unless it's specifically pointed out by a character so as it's not going have any real attention paid to it they can use a fake one, and avoid any legal complications at the same time.

Is it just me or does every Hollywood movie seem to use the same Prison set?

They probably do, was looking up the prison i saw in a music video not long ago and came up with this place. Looks like it's been used quite a bit.

swhitmore
Hector and the Search for Happiness

I watching this last night. Seriously brilliant movie. If you get a chance, please watch it. Some very cliché moments, but tastefully so. One of the best performances by Simon Pegg I've seen. It has the perfect balance of comedy, drama, and romance.

• Like 3

ginjaninja

Just watched "Nightcrawler" with jake gyllenhaal.

That is one messed up movie. Worth the watch if you can stand the idea that there are some really messed up sociopathic people out there I. The world...

Ty for reccomendation..great film...9/10.

Darkest blackest comedy/social allegory in a long while...my concern would be that such films normalise anti social behaviour in the minds of viewers to an extent that it is counter productive..sort of self fulfilling prophecy. I guess (for me) louis is not as far fetched a sociopath as (i) we want him to be.

• Like 1

TolkienBard

For a movie about social behavior, I just rewatched a movie I had almost forgotten about, The Conformist (1970), by Bernardo Bertolucci. It just got cleaned up for Blu ray recently and now looks amazing. It's originally in Italian, so that might throw some for a curve, but it's well worth the watch for anyone looking for a trul definitive social film. It's easy to see the influences on The Godfather and The Godfather Part II and well as Apocalypse Now in the film.

Cheesegeezer

I watched Birdman today...

uggghhh... I can see why it got such high reviews.... because of all the Thespians jerking each other off that can relate to it and are bigging it up.  It's well acted, don't get me wrong but what a crap story line, I was an hour in and thought, this must get good now, basically they could have wrapped up the first hour in about 20mins, but didn't..... I was expecting a lot more in the second hour but..... Alas.... it never came. Trailers are so misleading!!!

Utter load of Shite

My Score is about a 3/10

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 2