Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

swhitmore

Well you filled up my week, thanks :) lol

I may or may not be an old-school gamer ;)

Edited by swhitmore

thefirstofthe300

That sucks, I haven't seen it yet. Also, in case you want to hide the spoiler info just use this

[spoiler] place text here [/spoiler]

Thanks for the tip!

swhitmore

I also just checked the IMDB 'recommended' titles and saw this one that as only released a few months ago. I might have to add that to my own collection.

From Bedrooms to Billions

Edited by swhitmore

fantaxp7

Anyone mention "the equalizer"?

I liked it.

Dude takes out the Russian mafia in a Home Depot! +1

Fun fact, that home depot he worked at was an abandoned Lowe's in my home town! Denzel would eat at a restaurant right down town every once in awhile and I had no idea :blink:

• Like 1

Oooh I have a friend who is an EVP at Lowes.  I'll have to razz him about them using (the orange one's) name on their building...

ginjaninja

Good Movies with Great Soundtracks..

i discover alot of my new music via movie/tv soundtracks . (i don't mean orchestral accompaniments - hate those 'soundtracks')..

For me enjoying the soundtrack is a big draw to rewatching movies..

some of my favourites...

• Dirty Dancing...well sort of a classic.
  • Elizabethtown...lots of new artists to discover, great tracks..not a widely regarded film..
  • Eurotrip...secret shame ..ok soundtrack to a highly underated movie tipped over the line by euro version of 'scotty doesnt know' ..great fun however puerile.(million times better than inbetweeners movies)
  • Grosse Pointe Blank..great tracks..fun movie.
  • Pulp Fiction...obscure music i would never have heard if not for a great film...
  • Take Me Home Tonight....youthful..
  • The Beach...great accompaniment to the film
  • The Last Days of Disco (never really listened to disco before, chloe sevigny is very beautiful)
  • Trainspotting..goes with the film

any one have any other movie soundtrack suggestions? preferably if the film is worth watching.

Heckler

I've just watched 'Horns'  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1528071/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Was rather impressed with it, a thoroughly delightful little drama/horror with a few nice comedic touches thrown in.... More surprising was the performance of Daniel Radcliffe who was really good throughout. Some of the supporting cast were a let down... possibly because the focus of the entire movie is on DR's character and there is barely a scene without him in it.

But a good solid film that I recommend to anyone who likes their horror with some drama, fantasy and a few chuckles.

8/10 from me

ginjaninja

watched horns last night too...at the risk of being contentious...

i know its nonsensical to say the fantasy wasnt grounded..BUT the fantasy wasnt grounded in anything to relate to...no reasons to suspend disbelief...WTF springs to mind..

had some good ideas but for me never managed to make any coherence out of them.....im probably not a fantasy person....prefer more science fiction..3/10 for me.

My son and I saw The Theory of Everything last night.  Eddie Redmayne should be up for an Oscar for that role.  He did a fantastic job.

Not sure how accurate it was but it was a lovely story.

Heckler

watched horns last night too...at the risk of being contentious...

i know its nonsensical to say the fantasy wasnt grounded..BUT the fantasy wasnt grounded in anything to relate to...no reasons to suspend disbelief...WTF springs to mind..

had some good ideas but for me never managed to make any coherence out of them.....im probably not a fantasy person....prefer more science fiction..3/10 for me.

See that's what I liked about the 'fantasy' aspect... It wasn't explained, it wasn't a shock as such for everyone around... It was kind of simply accepted because that's how people viewed him. Then there's the aspect of the horns altering the behaviour of those who look upon him.

I even liked the way the religious side of the movie was handled... and this from a person who really dislikes religion being portrayed as truth in movies.

But people like different things, after careful thinking about it though... I'm not certain it would stand up to repeated viewing. Some movies are fun to watch over and over.

• 2 weeks later...
shaefurr

Watched all those game documentaries, thanks @@swhitmore and the others who recommended them, I really enjoyed them. Actually after watching these ive gotten really back into pac-man lol. The championship dx edition of steam is fun :)

Also just watched Outcast which is a sword and sorcery type movie. Its by no means a blockbuster but I still thought it was good. Nicolas Cage hasn't had the best movies in the past few years but I thought he was pretty good in this one even though his part was small. Hayden Christensen's performance was excellent. I really enjoy these types of movies since its my favorite genre so ill give it a 7/10. A movie i'd watch more than once as well.

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 1

ginjaninja

watched a few films over Christmas period

Steer Clear

Tusk 2014 - Comedy/Horror - 5/10 Cronenburg wierd.

Lucy 2014 - Sci Fi - 5/10..rubbish

OK

Are you here 2014 - Drama/Comedy - 7,/10

Damsels in Distress (2012) - Drama Comedy 7/10...

A controversial ....The Interview 2014 - 7/10  - good college humour fun.

Her 2013 - Sci Fi/Romance - 7/10 adventurous.

Neighbours 2014 - Comedy - 7/10 better than youd think.

Rogue 2007 - Thriller - 7.5/10 much better than youd think

Snowpiercer (2013) - Sci Fy - 7/10..quirky...tilda swinton keeps it going.

The Family (2013) & The Equalizer (2014) - Crime - better than youd think..

They Came Together (2014) - Romcom - 7/10 better than youd think.

Zombeavers (2014) - Horror - should have been 'steer clear' but i was in the mood for silly.

White Bird in a Blizzard (2014) - Drama - 7/10

Reccomended

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - Drama / Comedy - 8.5/10

The Place Beyond the Pines (2013) - Drama - 7.5/10

Enemy (2013) - Mystery - 7.5/10....

What if 2014 - Rom Com - 7.5/10 ..better than youd think..

Only Lovers Left Alive 2013 - Drama/Fantasy/Romance - 7.5/10...quirky

Oldboy (2013) - Mystery - 8/10

A Simple Plan 1998 - Drama / Mystery - 7.5/10

Begin Again 2013 - Drama / Romance - 8/10

Girl Most Likely 2012 - Drama / Comedy - 7.5/10

Gone Girl 2014 - Mystery / Comedy - 8/10

Harlem Nights 1989 - Crime / Comedy - 8/10

The Way, Way Back (2013) - Drama - 8/10

I just finished watching Lucy. Good God, what utter tripe.

Is that bad? I was plan to watch it.

ginjaninja

even worse....as scifis go ..automata, the zero theorem, snow piercer, even edge of tomorrow are better...

• Like 1

CBers

I just finished watching Lucy. Good God, what utter tripe.

I watched it a few months back, and it finished before it even got started.

Like the premise, but not executed well.

I guess Scarlett Johansson has to have a naff film every once in a while, although she was still looking hot ;)

• Like 2

fantaxp7

I watched The Judge last night. It felt like it was a good movie but the story didn't quite match the good film making.