Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

ScottIsAFool

@@Lee cannot stand the LOTR films. Found them utterly boring. And, God, their soundtracks. BORING.

Heckler

I loved the first three, the hobbit ones though... Yawn

I glossed over a couple of posts... and thought this was referring to the Expendables... and I was just about to call you a not very nice name when I read the bit after the comma.   :)

ecrispy

I loved the first 3 LOTR movies - everything about them is just great. The Hobbit movies are obviously padded, but they are almost like a homage to fans of the series, you have many recurring characters and a chance to revisit them for those who miss them. The 3rd one should be great! I only watch a few movies in the cinema, its too expensive esp when you add on things like 3D, Imax etc, but this one I will.

I recently got the Oblivion blu-ray and that movie is an audio-visual delight as well as great movie. 

shaefurr

Im a huge LOTR fan, and even I can say the hobbit films aren't up to par with the original trilogy. With the LOTR films I felt like you really got pulled into middle earth for the entire journey and it was such an amazing fantasy experience. While I personally do like the hobbit films, I still feel they're missing that magic and wonder the original films had. That said, still can't wait to see BotFA :)

shaefurr

Watched Slumdog Millionaire last night, which is about a kid from Mumbai that goes on India's version of who wants to be a millionaire, he gets arrested for suspicion of cheating and the rest of the movie shows his life growing up and how he knew the answers to each question. Really good film I enjoyed it a lot. 8/10

Edited by shaefurr

Heckler

Just watched The Inbetweeners 2.... Loved the TV series and the first movie and this one didn't disappoint. Loads of purile dick and fart jokes, and hilarious escapades all completely over the top and unrealistic... and I giggled like a little kid the whole way through.

There's something about unabashed humour like this that just worms it way into and makes you chortle when you least expect it. It's not an oscar winner, it's not even one of the great comedy movies... it's just a good laugh.

and if I'm honest... it reminds me a little of some things I did in my late teens and early 20's... none of which involved getting covered in shit or pissed on.

ginjaninja

just watched...Predestination...

great 1st half, interesting story telling...then the 2nd half went by like a shell game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_game

dada...wasnt that good..

thought i was watching a michael bay movie the story was so unsubstantiated (and no one on the production team seemed to think that mattered) and the science fiction so unintelligible...but dressed up like it was something more meaningful (hence the shell game analogy). 

science fiction, for stories that relate closely to the alternative world supposed,  needs to be intelligible and follow the axioms defined..

i felt there was ham fisted spoon feeding to justify 'oh thats why that happened, or that makes sense now' for bits that didnt matter to the enjoyment of a good film...whilst detail being lacking where it might shed light on the characters hopes fears dreams, reasons for acting one way or tother.

to top it all off rotten tomatoes was generally very favourable and usually a trusted yardstick...

did i miss something? did the story make any real sense when put under scrutiny to anyone else?

going to give inbetweeners 2 a go...expectations are so low it can only be good.

Edited by ginjaninja

Heckler

I've seen Predestination, and as far as the paradox theory goes... it stuck to the script pretty much verbatim.

It was an average film for me, not a great one... but certainly more of a thinkers sci-fi than we normally get... and the ending was to ensure that the whole predestination paradox continues.

If anything, I felt that the movie tended to spoon feed some parts to the audience and I was left in the dark about many things until the midway point... Which means the script writers were doing their job decently enough.

The one word that sums it up is.

Ouroboros

shaefurr

I know this teaser doesn't show really anything new except for the last 5 seconds or so, but damn. Marvel has been building to this moment for so many years its just so epic.

ginjaninja

i watched an old school film..Deliverance 1972...and by old school i mean not only Burt Reynolds and John Voight as actors but also a character and emotion driven film.

Definitely worth a watch....strange mix of psychological horror/suspense, great filming with touch of historical/nature documentary...i read that it had won some awards.

now i know where the phrase "squeal like a pig"...comes from..brutal..

• Like 1

Redshirt

I watched "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes". For some reason the first time subtitles didn't show, so I felt like I was watching a Charlie Chaplin movie. It made so much more sense the second time around :) 

shaefurr

lol seems to be a typical problem for that movie, at first you're just watching like ok, then it gets to a point and you're like, OK, there HAS to be subtitles or something im missing here.

i watched an old school film..Deliverance 1972...and by old school i mean not only Burt Reynolds and John Voight as actors but also a character and emotion driven film.

Definitely worth a watch....strange mix of psychological horror/suspense, great filming with touch of historical/nature documentary...i read that it had won some awards.

now i know where the phrase "squeal like a pig"...comes from..brutal..

Yeah, that's a classic.  Any film buff needs to see it.

ginjaninja

Just watched The Inbetweeners 2.... Loved the TV series and the first movie and this one didn't disappoint. Loads of purile dick and fart jokes, and hilarious escapades all completely over the top and unrealistic... and I giggled like a little kid the whole way through.

There's something about unabashed humour like this that just worms it way into and makes you chortle when you least expect it. It's not an oscar winner, it's not even one of the great comedy movies... it's just a good laugh.

and if I'm honest... it reminds me a little of some things I did in my late teens and early 20's... none of which involved getting covered in shit or pissed on.

Oh well..i got what i deserved / expected. Cringe comedy...i did laugh out loud possibly more so from embarassment/shame than anything more positive.

Anyone mention "the equalizer"?

I liked it.

Dude takes out the Russian mafia in a Home Depot! +1

• Like 3

shaefurr

Yeah I just watched it as well, I really liked it. There is one thing I really expected from this movie and was pleasantly surprised when it didn't happen, spoilers below.

In almost EVERY movie when you see the typical head bad guy you expect some huge fight at the end where the hero actually has a challenge, I was so surprised in this movie when he just kicked the guys ass no problem, it was actually quite a relief to not have him meet anyone with his level of skill. Really enjoyed the ending with craigslist or whatever it was with him offering help to others on a forum.

Odds against you? Nowhere to Turn? he posts

I'm in trouble, can you help?

Yes, he repiles

awesome, hes a badass

• Like 1

shaefurr

Watching Video Games: The Movie which is a documentary about the history of video games and their impact on the world. Its actually really enjoyable and has a lot of good info in it. If you're curious about the history from pre Atari to todays consoles (including PC gaming), give it a watch. Plus it has clips of all the popular games from the past 30 years, and some of the terrible like Ataris E.T., all my favorites are in there.

If you like documentaries and games, watch it 8/10

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 1

swhitmore

Watching Video Games: The Movie which is a documentary about the history of video games and their impact on the world. Its actually really enjoyable and has a lot of good info in it. If you're curious about the history from pre Atari to todays consoles (including PC gaming), give it a watch. Plus it has clips of all the popular games from the past 30 years, and some of the terrible like Ataris E.T., all my favorites are in there.

If you like documentaries and games, watch it 8/10

Have you watched The King of Kong and 100 Yen?

Edited by swhitmore

thefirstofthe300

Just saw the Hobbit Part 3. I actually somewhat liked the first two movies, but I almost barfed in the theater this one was so bad.  It felt like the writers took a shotgun to the whole LOTR mythology, there were so many holes.

Really???  The writers decided to push the elf/dwarf love interest?  WHY!!!

And don't even get me started with the physics and CGI.  You might as well have made the entire movie a cartoon.  It would have been just as realistic.

Also, the writers decided it should be the battle of the seven armies.  I swear.

Worst $10.50 I ever spent on a movie.

Edited by swhitmore
spoiler tags

shaefurr

That sucks, I haven't seen it yet. Also, in case you want to hide the spoiler info just use this

[spoiler] place text here [/spoiler]
  • Like 1

swhitmore

King of Kong was next on my list to watch, ill add 100 Yen to it as well :)

Also add Indie Game: The Movie to that list. Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters and Free to Play are 2 others to check out, but I  personally haven't had a chance to watch these yet.

Edited by swhitmore