Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

techywarrior

Recently watched St. Vincent, the new Bill Murray movie.

Good movie, strange casting. Bill Murray is excellent (as usual) and the kid was pretty good. Pretty weird seeing Melissa McCarthy in a non-comedic role. And I didn't even recognize Naomi Watts.

The movie centers around the unlikely friendship between a crotchety old man and a young school boy who just moved and has no friends.

I'd highly recommend the movie to anyone who enjoys a light drama.

8/10

techywarrior

Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters

Ok, I know I'm not the target demographic. That's probably 12 year old boys, but did a 12 year old write this garbage?

Special effects are impressive in certain places and physical effects are pretty good. Writing, acting, direction are all terrible.

Unless you are watching with kids, just had a lobotomy, or your brain stops functioning I'd recommend skipping it.

2/10

Redshirt

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay part 1.

I wanted to love this movie. I really enjoyed the first two installments. I read, and enjoyed, all three books while on holiday in Mexico two winters ago. I'll let you guys imagine the goofy belly burn I got lying on a deck chair holding a Kindle for hours. All in all I felt the movie was underwhelming. It really departs from the book. You're nearly an hour in before you see the first chapter of the book. That's not to say I hated it, perhaps I expected too much going in. 

In the months leading up to the release I'd been wondering where they'd end the first movie. In my mind there were only 2 points in the final book that would make good cliffhangers. One was too near the end of the book. I was happy that they chose the spot I thought they would. 

Despite being underwhelmed, I think the last movie has the potential to deliver a fantastic closure to the series. Nov 2015 can't get here fast enough.

shaefurr

Recently watched St. Vincent, the new Bill Murray movie.

Good movie, strange casting. Bill Murray is excellent (as usual) and the kid was pretty good. Pretty weird seeing Melissa McCarthy in a non-comedic role. And I didn't even recognize Naomi Watts.

The movie centers around the unlikely friendship between a crotchety old man and a young school boy who just moved and has no friends.

I'd highly recommend the movie to anyone who enjoys a light drama.

8/10

Funny, I watched it last week and thought the same thing, at the end I looked up the cast and was like, oh wow. that was Naomi Watts lol. Enjoyed the movie though, love Bill Murray, even my wife who was reading at the time put her tablet down to watch it, and she doesn't do that often as she reads about 3 books a day.

Also just watched The Guest. Really good movie, my wife didn't enjoy it as much as me. Plot is a soldier comes to a families home after being discharged saying he's a friend of their son he served with, from there it just gets awesome. The soundtrack was just amazing, total 80's retro midi vibe going. 8/10

Edited by shaefurr

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay part 1.

I wanted to love this movie. I really enjoyed the first two installments. I read, and enjoyed, all three books while on holiday in Mexico two winters ago. I'll let you guys imagine the goofy belly burn I got lying on a deck chair holding a Kindle for hours. All in all I felt the movie was underwhelming. It really departs from the book. You're nearly an hour in before you see the first chapter of the book. That's not to say I hated it, perhaps I expected too much going in. 

In the months leading up to the release I'd been wondering where they'd end the first movie. In my mind there were only 2 points in the final book that would make good cliffhangers. One was too near the end of the book. I was happy that they chose the spot I thought they would. 

Despite being underwhelmed, I think the last movie has the potential to deliver a fantastic closure to the series. Nov 2015 can't get here fast enough.

I was underwhelmed as well but I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the series in the first place.  Perhaps if they'd fit in a few more shots of Jennifer crying...  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Heckler

Finally got around to watching Lucy over the weekend.... What a complete and utter disappointment.

I went into it thinking I would be disappointed... I really hate movies that continue the myth that 'we only use 10% of our brains'... and for a science fiction movie to continue a myth that has been disproved for decades... well it's not science fiction, it's just bad writing.

It's also a Luc Besson film, so that raised my hopes... Fifth Element is one of my faves, and I was then a little disappointed when I noticed the run time was only 89mins... and 10 mins of that is wasted on the end credits, giving you 79 mins to watch.

I think this is the reason the movie fails so badly... Constant exposition from the characters to the audience, 99% of it based of disproved science really started to get on my nerves after 30 mins... and it only went downhill from there. The dialogue was poor, the use of multiple languages without adequate subs really got on my nerves because it was sporadic and you weren't sure if that was deliberate or not... Were you supposed to know what was said, or work it out from the response or answer. The pacing of the movie was woeful and some of the set pieces were just plain dumb.

I really tried to enjoy it, I really did... I hoped that the action sequences would bring the movie together but instead... whilst looking good... just reinforced my reasons for disliking the movie... and the ever increasing % that would flash on the screen from time to time... that really, really irked.

In the end, I barely made it through to the final scenes... and what a let down that was. It predictably left an opening for a sequel but the entire thing reeked of desperately trying to find a conclusion. I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth after watching it.

A terrible 3/10, don't waste your time.

• Like 1

shaefurr

Just watched Young Ones which takes place in the future when water is scarce. I usually love sci-fi movies, and while this one had a good cast and good acting, the movie itself was so insanely boring for me. The trailer made it look so interesting, but its really only the first 30 minutes of the film they show a lot of. I just kept waiting for it to get better, but it unfortunately never did. The cinematography is really great, but the overall plot and character development just sucks. Good for a 1 time watch if you got nothing else to do. 5/10

Also watched Night Moves last night, which I found quite enjoyable. It's a slower movie so be prepared for that, half the time there's just a long run of no talking at all. I did have a problem with some of the plot, without spoiling anything I wont go into it, but if you watch it you'll know exactly what I mean. You can really feel the tension from Jesse Eisenberg in the last half of the film, superb acting from him. 7/10

Edited by shaefurr

techywarrior

Finally got around to watching Lucy over the weekend.... What a complete and utter disappointment.

I went into it thinking I would be disappointed... I really hate movies that continue the myth that 'we only use 10% of our brains'... and for a science fiction movie to continue a myth that has been disproved for decades... well it's not science fiction, it's just bad writing.

I think this is the reason the movie fails so badly... Constant exposition from the characters to the audience, 99% of it based of disproved science really started to get on my nerves after 30 mins... and it only went downhill from there. The dialogue was poor, the use of multiple languages without adequate subs really got on my nerves because it was sporadic and you weren't sure if that was deliberate or not... Were you supposed to know what was said, or work it out from the response or answer. The pacing of the movie was woeful and some of the set pieces were just plain dumb.

While I also thought the movie wasn't great I'll have to at least offer a counter argument to two of your points.

First, hating a movie because they are using a myth or falsity as it's premise is pretty silly. I understand your point that they are perpetuating a false myth but I'd much rather have them base the movie on something and stick to it rather then decide half way thru that the opposite to what they have been saying is true. Remember, they never claimed this to be a documentary or real in any way. (if this movie was a 5th grade science lecture I'd be all over your side)

Second, complaining about a movie's use of foreign language and lack of subtitle because you are watching a "questionable" stream of the movie is also ridiculous. That's not the fault of the film or the film maker. (and I apologize if you watched it in the theatres and you didn't understand why they weren't giving you subtitles)

Latchmor

For UK peeps (that don't have Netflix and don't want to pay £2.50 on Amazon Instant) Harry Brown is on Channel 5 at 22:00 tonight.

It's got one of those annoying splits in the middle for the news so if you're recording make sure you get both bits!

;)

fantaxp7

Saw Interstellar at the IMAX this weekend. Fantastic. The bass shakers and the the sound worked together very well. The seats shaking during take off and various other space scenes was an awesome experience.

I think this movie is Nolan's second best film or at least tied for second with Inception.

• Like 1

Heckler

Over the last 10yrs there have been so many movies I've missed seeing at the cinema, and have only ever watched at home on a 32" TV... albeit with 5.1 surround sound.

So since getting a new TV a few days ago... I've been rewatching some of the films I missed on the big screen... as the picture on the new TV is so bright and crystal clear that it's adding new depth and realism to everything I'm watching.

I'm not going to give a review or anything... just if the difference in image quality and the passage of time alters my perception of them.

1: Avatar 2009 - A film I gave a mediocre 7/10 to in the past... Overall the plot/story hasn't improved, but the visuals have by a huge amount and I now appreciate a little more what a stunning visual feast for the eyes it is... Considering watching it again in 3D if/when I get some glasses for the TV. I'd think about raising that to an 8/10 now.

2: Star Trek 2009 -  Already a film I liked and gave a solid 8/10 to... That score remains unchanged as the higher image quality and detail didn't add much for me, just made all the lens flare a bigger pain in the butt.  :)

3: The Avengers 2012 - Was a 9/10 before, still a 9/10 now... still a great movie.

4: Tron Legacy 2009 - A stunning film when you get it on a better quality screen... again raised from a 7/10 to an 8/10. The action sequences and CGI were stunning to look at now and did enhance it for me.

Next up is the Lord of the Rings trilogy, already near perfect movies for me and Jackson is known for his attention to detail, so I'm looking forward to them.

ScottIsAFool

I know this isn't a film any of us will have seen yet, but oh my days, the Jurassic World trailer just dropped and it looks awesome!

• Like 1

ScottIsAFool

First, I thought the trailer was only being released Friday? Lol, it's on IMDB's homepage.

It doesn't look like a reboot. In the story/original movie the park wasn't open yet and they had all sorts of dinos. In this new one it appears they have gotten the glitches out (ie, removed the carnivores) and opened the park to the public (Sea World meets Safari park).

Of course someone had to genetically engineer a carnivorous semi intelligent dino.....

It was originally meant to be friday. Colin Trevorrow (director) tweeted and said due to circumstances out of their control they're releasing it early.

As for reboot/sequel, it's a sequel. as Shaefurr said, it's set 22 years after the original film (ie, real time).

shaefurr

Yeah that trailer looks awesome, glad they finally got around to making this movie. Can't wait to see what small teaser they have for episode 7 this week too.

Speaking of trailers, sad to see Middle Earth is finally coming to an end. Love this trailer though, so epic, really shows how amazing the LOTR trilogy was.

Edited by shaefurr

fantaxp7

I was just going to post this.

I am so excited for this. Looks like they are giving it a proper sequel...not like the last two.

I know this isn't a film any of us will have seen yet, but oh my days, the Jurassic World trailer just dropped and it looks awesome!

TolkienBard

Yeah that trailer looks awesome, glad they finally got around to making this movie. Can't wait to see what small teaser they have for episode 7 this week too.

Speaking of trailers, sad to see Middle Earth is finally coming to an end. Love this trailer though, so epic, really shows how amazing the LOTR trilogy was.

My brother and I are checking out a marathon of the Hobbit Extended in 3D HFR for this final movie. The extended versions of 1 & 2 followed by the theatrical "premiere" of this year's final installment. I am stoked.

shaefurr

My brother and I are checking out a marathon of the Hobbit Extended in 3D HFR for this final movie. The extended versions of 1 & 2 followed by the theatrical "premiere" of this year's final installment. I am stoked.

That sounds awesome, I'm gonna start rewatching LOTR this week and watch the 2 hobbit films next week, all extended of course. Slightly over 18 hours all together. :D

CBers

So, is Jurassic World a reboot, or is it Jurassic Park 4?

After watching the trailer, it looks like a reboot to me.

shaefurr

its 22 years or something after the last movie, when they get the kinks of the park worked out.

• Like 1

techywarrior

First, I thought the trailer was only being released Friday? Lol, it's on IMDB's homepage.

It doesn't look like a reboot. In the story/original movie the park wasn't open yet and they had all sorts of dinos. In this new one it appears they have gotten the glitches out (ie, removed the carnivores) and opened the park to the public (Sea World meets Safari park).

Of course someone had to genetically engineer a carnivorous semi intelligent dino.....

Heckler

I watched Fellowship of the Ring Extended last night

Tonight I shall watch Two Towers Extended

Friday... Return of the King Extended

Saturday Unexpected Journey Extended

Sunday Desolation of Smaug Extended

Not sure if I will get to see Battle of Five Armies at the cinema or not... Health issues make it very difficult to be able to spend the 5-6hrs required out and about... Why 5-6hrs... Because my nearest cinema is about 25 miles away, and when you factor in parking, and my current inability to walk more than 20 meters without extreme pain. It could take me a while to get to the cinema if I can't park right outside... Then 3hrs or so for the movie and trailers/adverts... plus the return to my car and drive home. It's a huge undertaking at the moment and one that needs to be very carefully considered... I blew of going to see Interstellar for the same reasons. So many factors, like what if I am unable to sit through the entire movie (very likely). What if I start having the spasms in my lower back (I suffer from spinal stenosis) which would potentially leave me unable to walk at all for a period of time and unable to drive back home.

I figure it's best not to go... which is a shame because I've been to every one before... In fact not been to see a movie since the last one due to my health... and I only go on a Tuesday when it's A) Cheaper and B) as early as possible to avoid crowds.

• 2 weeks later...
ScottIsAFool

UK people who were disappointed that the 3rd Expendables film was only a 12A, they have released an extended cut, which is a 15 (and so presumably more like an Expendables films). However, be warned, it is THREE HOURS LONG! http://www.blinkbox.com/movies/expendables-3-(extended-edition)-(66942)

I will likely watch this tomorrow and report back :)

ScottIsAFool

That is three hours of your life you will never get back... ;)

I've done worse. I have watched all the LOTR films :P