Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

techywarrior

Going to watch Automata later today which looks like a ripoff of I, Robot, but still looks decent, anyone seen that yet?

It's more a ripoff of Blade Runner then I, Robot.

The movie wasn't too bad if you can understand Antonio Banderas :)

Cheesegeezer

hahaha well I watched "Into The Storm" last night..... luckily I'm stuck on a Rig, otherwise I would have been quite annoyed at losing that time from my life.

I actually can't think of a single good thing to say about it,  who ever wrote the script needs to be shot.....  This is pretty much the script from the movie

"Are you ok?"

"Are you hurt?"

"Is everyone ok?"

"Quick"

"Trey? Trey?"

Repeat 300 times... oh and mix it up a little so it doesn't sound so rehearsed.

And c'mon Richard Armitage..... I'm used to seeing you being cool calm and collected in Spooks, and your Yank accent is sooooo bad, you could be South African for all I care in this movie.  

I think the Human Centipede was better than this :lol: and that was baaaaad!!!

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

@@Cheesegeezer you never watched Panic Room then...

That the one with Jodie Foster and Forest Whitaker in?  Yeah I've seen that, it was quite shocking, but not as bad as the two i mentioned!! 

ScottIsAFool

That the one with Jodie Foster and Forest Whitaker in?  Yeah I've seen that, it was quite shocking, but not as bad as the two i mentioned!! 

It's also the one that introduced the world to Kristen Stewart. So to make a bad film worse...

Cheesegeezer

It's also the one that introduced the world to Kristen Stewart. So to make a bad film worse...

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh I hate that actress soooo much, just being on the screen winds me up.... quite similar to Cheryl Cole!!! 

ScottIsAFool

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh I hate that actress soooo much, just being on the screen winds me up.... quite similar to Cheryl Cole!!! 

Just don't call her Cole anymore ;) 

Heckler

Watched the extended Desolation of Smaug, a lot of the new scenes I think should have been there in the first place. If you read the book and watched both versions you'll know what I mean. As with any other LOTR film, I give 400/10 :P

I put it on last night but I was tired and only got as far as the spiders when I fell asleep... The extra scenes to that point added some depth to characters and the story... But it also felt like some scenes were shortened simply so they'd have extra for the extended edition.

I'm a kiwi and was a big fan of the rotr trilogy ...but can't help feeling the hobbit movies are just over indulgent as the hobbit book is much different in tone detail and length. .and imho does not need 9hrs to tell the story

Couldn't agree more on this... there is so much fluff in the movies that the pacing can be atrocious at times and I wrote a review over on trakt about the first Hobbit extended edition... But overall I love the way they've woven so much in from the silmarillion and LotR appendices. and I love the attention to detail and the scenery, the excellent cast... But I could really live without the obligatory 'chase' sequences in every movie... Radagast and his rabbit powered sled in the first, the dreadful river barrel scene in Smaug and in the trailer for 5 armies, there's a whole chariots on ice chase scene it appears... Give me a break.

I for one am hoping to go and see Interstellar in the next week or so... I have no local cinema and it's quite a trek to the nearest one.. and I only go during the day when there aren't many people about and no kids to ruin it... Last film I saw was Smaug and with only 30 people in a screen that could easily hold 300... it still felt like too many.  lol

TolkienBard

@@Cheesegeezer you never watched Panic Room then...

I was entirely underwhelmed by that film, but I didn't think it was nearly so bad as to be in the same category as Human Centipede and others mentioned here. Despite the trerible script and somewhat suspect directing, Whitaker turned in yet another solid performance, Foster wasn't bad, Bauchau gave another decent turn.

ScottIsAFool

Couldn't agree more on this... there is so much fluff in the movies that the pacing can be atrocious at times

Yeah.. but...

Catrollinginmoney.jpg

shaefurr

I put it on last night but I was tired and only got as far as the spiders when I fell asleep... The extra scenes to that point added some depth to characters and the story... But it also felt like some scenes were shortened simply so they'd have extra for the extended edition.

Completely agree, the book had such good detail on Beorn and Mirkwood, yet it was like 2 seconds in the theatrical version of the movie. I can't see why it was cut in the first place except to use in the extended.

techywarrior

Remember when it was more important to spend money on your product rather then marketing? It seems now days if you have $10m it's better to spend $9,999,999 on marketing and $1 to create the product and have it fail then the other way around. Since 90% of the money is made in the first week/month before everyone talks about how bad the product is.

It's not just Hollywood movies either, lots of things lately (10-15 years) have had this happen.

Of course, it's not every movie, product etc. but I think we could all list a lot of trash that made money simply because of the enormous marketing behind it.

• Like 1

Heckler

but I think we could all list a lot of trash that made money simply because of the enormous marketing behind it.

Virtually every 'pop act' of the last 20 years, and 100% of the 'karaoke TV show winners', ipods, iphones and ipads

Or were you being rhetorical?   :)

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

OMG people. I've just watched the best film so far this year for me.

Now You See Me

Thoroughly entertaining, clever, funny, twisting with a great ending. Not once did i wish the ending to come.

Having a movie fest at the moment while i wait for my equipment to arrive on the rig

Also watch, Automata and Lucy.

I quite enjoyed Lucy however the CGI was shocking in it, but Automata is just a waste of 2 hours

Heckler

'Now you see me' would have been good if they'd left the big reveal out at the end... that was an 'Oceans 12' moment, crapping on the audience from a massive height.

Edited by Heckler

Cheesegeezer

'Now you see me' would have been good if they'd left the big reveal out at the end... that was an 'Oceans 12' moment, crapping on the audience from a massive height.

I'm inclined to disagree with your statement, I think an audience would need the reveal for closure on the events that happened,

shaefurr

I have to agree Automata as fairly dumb, I didn't hate it, but I really expected something more, especially at the end, I mean they built.. that, wow.

Just watched the Babadook, which was actually pretty good, that book alone is creepy, if I read that to my kids id be scared too lol. Some good scares here and there, and the ending is pretty good compared to a lot of other horror movies with terrible endings. I'm going to go around my house making ba-ba-dook noises at night for quite some time now 7/10

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

I mean they built.. that, wow.

Hahaha yeah.... how underwhelming is it!!

shaefurr

Hahaha yeah.... how underwhelming is it!!

Seriously, so much of the movie builds to that point, and you finally get there and its.. friggin stupid. lol

• Like 1

techywarrior

Seriously, so much of the movie builds to that point, and you finally get there and its.. friggin stupid. lol

but but but that was the perfect evolutionary being! lol

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

but but but that was the perfect evolutionary being! lol

lol

hmmmmm

Heckler

I'm inclined to disagree with your statement, I think an audience would need the reveal for closure on the events that happened,

But the ending negates everything that happened with the story regarding the illusionists and the police... Everything that they do turns out to be meaningless... Take that out and what you are left with is a sad little story about a bank robbery to frame the guy who exposes the illusionists tricks of the trade.

It's exactly like Oceans 12... where they did the stealing at the beginning and everything they did afterwards was irrelevant... but don't tell you what they did until the end... thinking it would be this great reveal. Instead what they actually did was shite on the audience from a massive height.

I fail to see how they differ in the execution of the plot details... Granted I thought the rest of the plot, the acting, direction and set pieces were done better in NYSM... But it was a dreadful movie for me when you look at the sum of it's parts.