Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

shaefurr

By the way, this thread should be pinned! maybe even a whole "General" area put aside for FILM CLUB.

... First rule of Film Club: Pin the Thread for FILM CLUB @@Luke   

Micheal Bay! Ka-Boom!

Totally second that, This is one of those threads I can see with hundreds of pages at some point.

Cheesegeezer

Good day,

I always like the unexpected ending movies, like The Sixth Sense , The Others, last I saw of this type as Now You See Me.

My best

OMG The Others dts stream is amazing, have you noticed that all the paranormal activity hits you in full 5.1, but when its not paranormal its only centre speaker.... Its amazing and the film is bloody darn good too!!

• Like 1

techywarrior

OMG The Others dts stream is amazing, have you noticed that all the paranormal activity hits you in full 5.1, but when its not paranormal its only centre speaker.... Its amazing and the film is bloody darn good too!!

Hm, I may need to go rewatch it now. I don't remember that. although with my shitty speakers I'd probably not notice.

I'm in the process now of deciding what new speakers to buy. It's pretty sad that I've upgraded everything else but my speakers still suck. I'm not an audiophile but even I can tell that currently there is no depth or impact to the sound and it really hurts the feel of some movies (not talking about bass when I say impact)

Cheesegeezer

Hm, I may need to go rewatch it now. I don't remember that. although with my shitty speakers I'd probably not notice.

I'm in the process now of deciding what new speakers to buy. It's pretty sad that I've upgraded everything else but my speakers still suck. I'm not an audiophile but even I can tell that currently there is no depth or impact to the sound and it really hurts the feel of some movies (not talking about bass when I say impact)

Monitor Audio all the way for fronts and centre, the rest is upto you, i cant say how happy i am with them.

Heckler

On a side not: I see that "Taken 3" is ready to come out...

At first I thought: You can't be serious! TAKEN 3!  How the hell is Taken 3 even produced?!?  But, I am a sucker for action movies (like Die Hard, I love me some Die Hard...), and I also love Liam Neason.

Taken 3 looks like I'm going to watch it, and maybe even sadly... love it!

The movie looks like a great action plot! Just enough one-liners to keep me happy, and Liam Neason being freakin' awesome!!

I'd much rather Taken 3 than Expendables 3... because those movies are complete and utter turds in my opinion,.. If they were making a parody of all the action movies they've ever done it might be funny... But they're not, it's not even tongue in cheek with a nod and a wink to the audience... Just a bunch of old guys pretending to be action heroes in their 60's.

If you want to see exactly how to make that kind of movie... Then watch RED and RED 2... very funny action movies with something that the Expendables movies are lacking... Quality actors all round.

• Like 1

gthrift

On a side not: I see that "Taken 3" is ready to come out...

At first I thought: You can't be serious! TAKEN 3!  How the hell is Taken 3 even produced?!?  But, I am a sucker for action movies (like Die Hard, I love me some Die Hard...), and I also love Liam Neason.

Taken 3 looks like I'm going to watch it, and maybe even sadly... love it!

The movie looks like a great action plot! Just enough one-liners to keep me happy, and Liam Neason being freakin' awesome!!

I didn't realize there was going to be a 3rd until you just mentioned it.  A quick search says its at least not about someone being kidnapped again.  If someone got taken a 3rd time, it's just time they give suck it up and move on, lol.  

I'd much rather Taken 3 than Expendables 3... because those movies are complete and utter turds in my opinion,.. If they were making a parody of all the action movies they've ever done it might be funny... But they're not, it's not even tongue in cheek with a nod and a wink to the audience... Just a bunch of old guys pretending to be action heroes in their 60's.

If you want to see exactly how to make that kind of movie... Then watch RED and RED 2... very funny action movies with something that the Expendables movies are lacking... Quality actors all round.

I'll agree with all of this.  Expendables were terrible.  I was expecting more along the lines of RED, which the 1st was great and the 2nd was not quite a good, but still very enjoyable.  A quick search also shows there is a RED 3 coming, so hopefully it was be as good.

Edited by gthrift
  • Like 1

techywarrior

I just re-watched it tonight because I haven't seen it a long while and also because I never noticed the audio changing for the paranormal vs. non.

Man that movie is good!

Of course with my shitty speaker setup and a lot of sound only being from the center channel I had to really crank my receiver to hear it well... I think this weekend I may go for the new speakers.

• Like 1

Heckler

I just re-watched it tonight because I haven't seen it a long while and also because I never noticed the audio changing for the paranormal vs. non.

Man that movie is good!

Of course with my shitty speaker setup and a lot of sound only being from the center channel I had to really crank my receiver to hear it well... I think this weekend I may go for the new speakers.

Not got that one, will have to check it out.

As for speakers... Mine are getting long in the tooth now... but money is tight and I can't afford to replace them...  nor can I afford to replace my aging Yamaha DSP A5 amp. My front L/R are JBL control 1's, whilst the rears are Control 5's. The centre is a kenwood and the sub is a Yamaha... The sub is 14yrs old now and has been repaired once, the speakers are around 11yrs old, the original Yamaha speakers I had came with the subwoofer and are now used on my PC and still going strong.

I'd love to replace the amp with a 7.1 amp, with plenty of HDMI slots... but have more pressing things that need doing with money.

On the movie front... I watched Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure again, for the first time in many years.... It's still as funny and goofy as I remember and well worth a watch.

Anyone hear about the Ghostbusters reboot. Apparently an all female cast. Hmmm...

I love my Bill Murray, too bad about Harold Ramis. Hopefully the rest if the cast will at least make cameos.

techywarrior

Anyone hear about the Ghostbusters reboot. Apparently an all female cast. Hmmm...

I love my Bill Murray, too bad about Harold Ramis. Hopefully the rest if the cast will at least make cameos.

Yea, heard about it... and the all female cast.

It's going to be really weird to see Ghostbusters without Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, etc.

It's being directed by the guy who did Bridesmaids, which was a really funny movie, but also The Heat which didn't look as good (I haven't seen it tho). I'm personally hoping that we get cameos from Bill Murray and that the girls are all his (from different women to fit his personality), or all the guy's, daughters. That would be a great/funny start. How can the new "Egon" not be the daughter of Bill Murray (Venkman) and Sigourney Weaver (Dana Barret). Remember she was a professional Celloist and seemed smart too.

Heckler

Oh dear... Given that Bill Murray had always refused to be involved with a third installment... and that it is a comedy classic... I can't think of any 4 females that would be suitable to fill those roles... and with Ivan Reitman pulling out from the directors role... It just seems like a really, really bad idea.

Some films should not be remade, or re imagined with a new cast... and Ghostbusters is one of them.

techywarrior

Some films should not be remade, or re imagined with a new cast... and Ghostbusters is one of them.

But... but... Hollywood has been on such a roll lately with remaking 80's classics:

Robocop, Total Recall, A-Team, 21 Jump Street, Fame, Conan, Clash of the Titans, Footloose, Arthur, Miami Vice, Dukes of Hazzard...

ScottIsAFool

But... but... Hollywood has been on such a roll lately with remaking 80's classics:

Robocop, Total Recall, A-Team, 21 Jump Street, Fame, Conan, Clash of the Titans, Footloose, Arthur, Miami Vice, Dukes of Hazzard...

To be fair, 21 Jump Street was pretty good (and 22 Jump Street was hilarious)

Heckler

21 Jump Street was OK, but the sequel went way to far with the 'we're going to joke about how this movie is a sequel'... If they'd left it one or two little jokes in the beginning... Like the scene showing them building across the road at '23 Jump Street' and so forth... It would have been ok. But the non stop barrage of jokes about how it's a sequel and copying the format or not copying the format and so forth wore very thin with me very quickly... In fact if you take all of those jokes out of the script, you are left with very few decent ones at all... they must account for a good 50% of the total jokes.

The end credits on the other hand were excellent... they should have removed all the 'sequel jokes' from the script and just relied upon the credits as they were funnier than the movie.  :)

hedgehogg

Watched The anomaly Last night - I do liked a good British film (Being British) This had a decent scenario only 9.47 mins to actually do something - as sci fi movies go it was different enough to keep me watching and gets a 9/10 from me low budget but great story - Give it a go:

http://bolt.cd/board/f32/anomaly-2014-720p-1080p-bluray-1040203/

techywarrior

I didn't think 21 Jump Street (the movie) was very good at all. I couldn't even watch the whole movie. It had none of the spirit of the TV show and the jokes were pandering. Sometimes it's just the mood or expectation going into watching a movie that can sway your feeling but I couldn't stand it.

Cheesegeezer

21 Jump Street I thought was great - perfect hangover movie that doesn't require much brain power at all, just sit back and enjoy.

I'll have to check out "The Anomaly" sounds quite good.

"Starred Up" is a great British prison movie, nice and gritty, a bit like McVicar. Watched it the other day and found it proper good.

shaefurr

Watched TMNT Yesterday. As a kid I was obsessed with ninja turtles, I loved the cartoon and I remember seeing the first film when it came out in theaters. I really loved the original first 2 (3rd was terrible). I found this movie typical of what you expect in newer movies, a huge CGI budget with the rest of the film lacking everything else. It was enjoyable, but I found the entire movie a little too goofy and kiddish, and splinter just looked retarded.. like a mutant Deer.  A good movie for kids but adults not so much, I'd say 6/10. A good one time watch but nothing amazing. I'd stick with the original if your a fan of TMNT.

Also watched The November Man, its exactly what you would expect from a movie with Pierce Brosnan and the spy type genre. Good acting, action and a decent plot. Kept me interested the entire film. 8/10.

Heckler

Watched The anomaly Last night - I do liked a good British film (Being British) This had a decent scenario only 9.47 mins to actually do something - as sci fi movies go it was different enough to keep me watching and gets a 9/10 from me low budget but great story - Give it a go:

I have this on my watch list at the moment,  some movies I have to be in the right mood for... Which is why I only tend to watch movies like 21 Jump Street when I want to be distracted by dumb humour (which isn't often)... If The Anomolay is more of a thinkers sci-fi... I'm in the mood for something like that tonight.

Watched TMNT Yesterday. As a kid I was obsessed with ninja turtles, I loved the cartoon and I remember seeing the first film when it came out in theaters. I really loved the original first 2 (3rd was terrible). I found this movie typical of what you expect in newer movies, a huge CGI budget with the rest of the film lacking everything else. It was enjoyable, but I found the entire movie a little too goofy and kiddish, and splinter just looked retarded.. like a mutant Deer.  A good movie for kids but adults not so much, I'd say 6/10. A good one time watch but nothing amazing. I'd stick with the original if your a fan of TMNT.

Ignore the 2014 snoozefest that is so bad I had to split into 2 sittings to be able to watch it all the way through... I got sick of it just over half way trough and had to turn it off... A few days later I remembered to finish it and wondered why I'd bothered. It's an utter pile of shite... Competes with the new Transformers movie for lamest piece of crap of the year... and both have Michael Bay involved... one as producer and the other as director. If there was ever a film maker that I wish would have a tragic accident that left him brain dead... there would be no change in the quality of his movies. What we need is brain dead and in a coma.

What... It's not like I'm wishing he was dead.   :)   OK... maybe just blind, deaf and mute  :lol:

If you really want to see a great TMNT movie, then grab the animated film from about 8yrs ago... That's how you make a decent turtle movie.

I've been watching some old faves recently... Last night I curled up in bed with Iron Man... Great movie.

I also started watching TMNT last night and I fell asleep. I am going to attempt it again tonight.

All I can say so far is:

"Michael Bay! KaBoom!!"

What is that sub frequency he always uses?

And what the heck is all the J.J. Abrams lens flares?

I will say this as a huge fan of action movies (even the worst action movies, which I can still find entertaining ie. Die Hard with a vengeance) the Shredder in this movie looks amazing...

Until stupid Michael Bay over does it with how many knives shoot out if his arm... Come On Mr. Bay just because you can doesn't mean you should completely over do it!

Splinter looks the best out of all the animation in the whole movie, but I much rather the original actors voice from the 90s movie.

INTERESTING FACT ABOUT TMNT: in the original comic book, The ooze which changed the turtles in to mutants, just happens to be the same toxic canister which changes Daredevil from the Marvel universe into a blind man and gives him powers to see sounds instead.

Unfortunately, the original comic book firm couldn't actually say so in the story of the turtles, the images drawn in the first comic book, draw the canister exactly the same, and the label is exactly the same as that which is drawn in Daredevil issue 1.

Since the canister is never mentioned again in the Daredevil story line it was used by the other company.

That is pretty interesting if your an old comic geek like me, with an embarrassing five hundred comic books in boxes, in storage... Yep...

techywarrior

I pretty much try and avoid Michael Bay movies. They are all the same and all leave me wanting more. I'm sure you guys will be glad to hear that he is producing ANOTHER Transformers movie and TMNT 2.

One movie of his that I actually liked was Pain & Gain. Not because it's a great film but because he actually didn't blow anything up!!!

Cheesegeezer

Hmmmm i didnt mind the latest transformers, it was a bit weak, the issue was the length of it!!! Holy crap its long.

However a movie i watched tonight was Enemy, quite clever but a bit slow. Its one of those that i'm not sure if its good or crap yet. But i cant be bothered to watch again.

• Like 1