Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

6 hours ago, CharleyVarrick said:

A more artsy example is Once (2007)

Fantastic movie.

I don't have a single all time favorite.  There are too many.

CharleyVarrick
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

Fantastic movie.

I don't have a single all time favorite.  There are too many.

Yeah, ATF all time favorite is though, and a bit of an exageration. At best its  more ATF up to now, and even that is subject to change.

I could have asked differently:

If you permanently move to a desert island, which single movie would you commit to bring along ?

My former answer would still stand. Even though I watched it only once (for now).

And yes, I have watched some movies 10 times if not more. They've become old friends 🙂

Oh, and just like old friends, I still pick up details I've missed before.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

WilhelmStroker

Deerskin. The latest Quentin Dupieux movie, who does weird movies. I liked this a lot, even though it's one of his more normal ones. Reminded me a bit of the Belgian movie man bites dog.

Jack Reacher. Meh. Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher. 

Slaxx. About jeans that kill people. Suprisingly good and funny with an interesting message about child labour.

CharleyVarrick

Is it just me but  I've never seen so many chick-flick romance or holiday-romance "feelgood" movies coming out in the last year, like two dozen a day, or so it seems.

I'm talking 2020-2021 B-movies with cast of unknown, all sporting a cute couple on movie poster.

OK honey, I'll let you watch this while I stare at snow melting.

No one wants to release a "good" movie right now when there is nowhere to go see it and/or no one will go see it.

CharleyVarrick
17 hours ago, ebr said:

No one wants to release a "good" movie right now when there is nowhere to go see it and/or no one will go see it.

Valid point.

BillOatman
On 3/20/2021 at 11:40 AM, ebr said:

I'll expand on that a little and say no one wants to release an expensive movie when they know it's going right to stream. They better figure to a way though as I suspect attendance in theaters is going to syay lower than what it was pre-covid so maybe paying a single actor $30 Mil a movie isn't a stellar idea :)

Edited by BillOatman
  • Haha 1

WilhelmStroker

Slashlorette party. Fun slasher movie with interesting commentary on mental health.
Nest of vampires. Got a really bad review in the Guardian, and yup it wasn't very good
Deerskin. A movie by Quentin Dupieux. He makes weird movies, this is no exception. About a deerskin jacket that makes people kill.
Slaxx. About a pair of jeans that kill people. Very funny in places, and good commentary on child labour.
Hiroshima mon amour. Not seen this in years. Great french new wave movie.

WilhelmStroker

2 more:

The wolf of snow hollow. This didnt do much for me, I found the main character extremely annoying.

I'm thinking of ending things. Enjoyed this a lot more but I'm thinking of watching it again as I probably missed a lot of the symbolism the first time round.

• 3 weeks later...
David Patt

Mortal Kombat 2021 - In short first movie is little better.

In more detail movie has atleast for me, little pacing issues. Fights are great but it still have flaws like very quick cuts. Next issue for me is characters.

For example Kano is just some hobo. Sonya Blade i dont know in comparison with first movie, she is little bland. Same for Raiden.

David Patt

Yes , if i mentioned first movie i talk about movie from 90'. I compare 2021 version to that and movie from 90' wins closely. 2021 version is not bad but not special either. 90' version is somewhat more dynamic and better paced in my opinion.

I tore this game UP in the 90-ish era.. One of my friends who is no longer.... We used to play sometimes until it hurt.

It wasn't a bad movie.. I sometimes find going back and looking at the old movie its different than what I remembered... LOL.. special effects and some things have improved so much.. I sort of found myself laughing at some of them.. Stuff I guess I never noticed.

I should go back and watch that movie though..

I honestly like the new movie better..

The 1995 version... ( Would have been my graduation year 😜 ) was good in its time.. is more direct as far as the tournament or to the tournament is concerned... They play in a lesson-learned thing more.. Tsiang Sung - spelling - used to be one of my favorite Asian actors.. The old movie fit the old style better.. BUT the new movie fit a few aspects closer.. and incorporated players that came later... 

Watched them backwards New -> Old, which is playing now..

LOL.. Last night I found online emulators of the old games.. :) played a few of my fav players..

I think it would be cool if they continued the story... Like most franchises do these days...

Edited by Guest

mediacowboy
3 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

I think it would be cool if they continued the story... Like most franchises do these days...

One of the actors has signed on for 4 more films, so we will see. I thought the new movie was better. It gave it the violenc it deserved where the 1995 version is more of a story telling.

• 4 weeks later...
David Patt

Army of the Dead. What to say most of the movie was mess of stupidity and illogical things. Few scenes was good but for that long movie it is little.

• Thanks 2

BillOatman
3 hours ago, David Patt said:

Army of the Dead. What to say most of the movie was mess of stupidity and illogical things. Few scenes was good but for that long movie it is little.

Not really a "zombie" person but did set a reminder to check into it today.  All that I have seen agrees with you.

• 2 months later...
Bingie

I've never been a fan of zombie movies, been way over done, but the two movies that Woody Harrelson made are outrageous!  Very funny.

Zombieland (2009)

Zombieland Double Tap (2019)

The sequel is actually funnier than the first one, but both are great.  You should watch them in order, since the second one picks up after the first, with same cast.  Some other stars in them too, but I won't spoil it.  Worth a watch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Cheesegeezer

A few i watched recently on Netflix I think was

Self/Less - Ryan Renolds - it was actually quite enjoyable, probably coz i wasn't feeling well at the time and just watching movies all day.  But still all in all, entertaining, very far fetched, but just watch it, switch off brain and enjoy.  7/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2140379/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

The other one i watched was Jolt! that's exactly the same experience, however really let down by the ending. 6.5/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10228134/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

But another great pointless action movie was Nobody - this was great! reminded me of a late 80's/early 90's action movie.  8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7888964/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 7 months later...
Junglejim

The Batman (2022).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877830/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I really liked this, it was a different take on the usual DCU. There are a lot of mixed reviews on this one but I thought it was ok. It's a mystery/detective/action movie and I enjoyed it.

But I enjoy anything involved with DC comics. I have all the animated stuff.. 😄

8 🌠

FrostByte

I liked this version of Batman.  He was different and dark and a bit troubled himself.  My wife probably wasn't as impressed as she's used to the clean-cut Batmans like Adam West and most of the rest of them.

• 3 months later...
chef

Just watched Elvis.

The acting is well done. Probabaly will win some awards.

Pretty good movie, that I'm glad I saw, but will most likely not watch more then once.

• Like 2

Junglejim
5 hours ago, chef said:

Just watched Elvis.

The acting is well done. Probabaly will win some awards.

Pretty good movie, that I'm glad I saw, but will most likely not watch more then once.

Yea.. I got dragged along to watch this at the cinema. I wasn't expecting much, not my type of movie but hey I love a large serve of popcorn. :)

Strangely enough I really enjoyed it, like you said it's a watch once kind of move but worth a "one for the money...🎶" :)

Edited by Junglejim
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Just watched the movie Prey.  I would say it may even be better than the first Predator movie.  Oh, and if you've seen all the rest of the movies there are nods to all of them.  I liked the one of the pistol from Predator 2.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2