XBOX app plans?

TheRealScottR

I can create drivers for the x1 kinect, but I have to be able to plug it into a computer, which is not possible at this time.

Until then, gesture and voice control of media browser can be attained through PC with generation one kinects only.

I would love to hack that x1 kinect to shreds, but will have to wait until Microsoft has made their millions off the product before I can.

Mark my words: "I will hack the x1 kinect and make it media browsers top of the line remote" but just not right now.

• Like 2

trooper11

yeah my bro-in-law does it, all using voice as well, you can pause and play by voice i believe too - dunno if you've tested it?

Wow, really?  I didn't even try voice commands since I didn't think there were commands for IE that worked with media apps.  I'll test that out today.  I'll want to include that in the video for sure. 

I can create drivers for the x1 kinect, but I have to be able to plug it into a computer, which is not possible at this time.

Until then, gesture and voice control of media browser can be attained through PC with generation one kinects only.

I would love to hack that x1 kinect to shreds, but will have to wait until Microsoft has made their millions off the product before I can.

Mark my words: "I will hack the x1 kinect and make it media browsers top of the line remote" but just not right now.

I know you'll make it happen! :D

It definitely is a step up.  Considering how well your software works with the original Kinect for me, I can only imagine what could be done in the future.

• Like 1

skywalker993

@@AgileHumor, Yeah, that would be nice. But for now, is there a way to set the default play mode to fullscreen? Having an extra click on such a small button is annoying everytime I want to play an episode.

Or to set auto-play to the next episode, instead of looping the same episode?

Edited by skywalker993

trooper11

This has not been announced yet for the X1, but MS is working to bring their new voice assistant, Cortana, to both Windows and the X1.  Right now though, it will launch first for WP:

http://www.wpcentral.com/cortana-privacy-prioritized-notebook

If MS allows third party developers to leverage Cortana, then I could see a lot of potential there.

7illusions

ahhh no XBOX 360 love.... so many out there just waiting to connect to MB3 :D

Have patience. ;)

*secretly working on magic*

• Like 2

Redshirt

I've owned an XBox One for a couple of weeks now and it's funny... MB is the linchpin determining whether I've wasted my money or whether the console is pure awesome. With Netflix and Crackle (as well as live TV pass through) I could see myself  replacing my living room htpc with the One. If MB isn't an option, then the One is just a graphically under powered system that doesn't have a hope of competing with the PS4. Hopefully I'll make the right decision with the next generation of consoles....

swhitmore

Microsoft just need to say these 3 words "self published apps" and all will be right with the world.

Redshirt

Microsoft just need to say these 3 words "self published apps" and all will be right with the world.

Now just imagine those three words with Tom Cruise and Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry Maguire. "Self published apps" lmao.

• Like 2

swhitmore

Now just imagine those three words with Tom Cruise and Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry Maguire. "Self published apps" lmao.

"Say it again Jerry!"

• Like 2

ahhh no XBOX 360 love.... so many out there just waiting to connect to MB3 :D

What do you mean?  The 360 works now via MBC...

nickgrill

I can attest to the fact that it does work well, but as was said, its not the same as having a native app that can leverage Kinect and just be all around a more seamless experience.

For now though, I am fairly happily using it via IE on the X1.  If only I could get my harmony remote to control it, it would be even better.

my harmony remote works great with media browser.

trooper11

my harmony remote works great with media browser.

Maybe you can help me then.

I have set up my Harmony to work with the X1 and it can be used with MB, but its fairly limited.  Did you bind keys for say making the video window full screen or to leave full screen?  What about a stop command or maybe being able to page down the list of media your trying to look through? 

I have tried binding keyboard hot keys that the X1 recognizes when a real keyboard is plugged in, but it will not respond to those commands when received through the harmony.

I end up just using my controller because its faster to navigate with the joystick vs moving the cursor with my remote.

nickgrill

I have not figured out how to make it full screen by pushing a button.  I mapped the B button to the harmony back button and use the directional buttons to navigate the page.  works pretty well.  my biggest complaint is not being able to rewind or fast forward.  has anyone figured out how to do this?

This has not been announced yet for the X1, but MS is working to bring their new voice assistant, Cortana, to both Windows and the X1. Right now though, it will launch first for WP:

http://www.wpcentral.com/cortana-privacy-prioritized-notebook

If MS allows third party developers to leverage Cortana, then I could see a lot of potential there.

This looks interesting, with a name like cortanna I will feel like the master chief! Lol!

trooper11

I have not figured out how to make it full screen by pushing a button.  I mapped the B button to the harmony back button and use the directional buttons to navigate the page.  works pretty well.  my biggest complaint is not being able to rewind or fast forward.  has anyone figured out how to do this?

The problem is that there is no documentation about remote control support within IE.  I have been looking into keyboard commands since MS added full keyboard support in the last X1 update.  I plugged in a keyboard and did some testing.  So far, I have found the following that work:

Spacebar : Play/Pause toggle

Alt+Enter : Toggles full screen*

+ : FastFwd

- : Rewind

*This only works as long as the small video windows is already the active window

That's all I could find.  The problem is trying to map those controls to my harmony remote.  I have not found a way that works yet. 

nickgrill

with the + and - you are able to fast forward and rewind?? try adding this as a device.  it gives you the buttons you need to toggle full screen

Manufacturer: Microsoft
Device: MCE Keyboard

trooper11

with the + and - you are able to fast forward and rewind?? try adding this as a device.  it gives you the buttons you need to toggle full screen

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Device: MCE Keyboard

Yeah, I did that.

I added the device and then added it to the activity for the X1.  I went into the custom buttons section and added the keyboard controls as listed, but they don't respond when testing the remote.

I wonder if the problem is that the ir receiver in the X1 is not able to pass along those commands?

As far as the fast fwd/rewind controls, yes, when you hit the + or - keys, the video will speed up or reverse.  Each press of the keys increases the rate at which the video is moving in either direction and then you have to hit the keys in the opposite direction to get it back to normal speed. There is no chapter skip or such controls that I can find, but at least that allows me to skip past an intro. 

• 3 weeks later...
godbodian

Does anyone on the development team own an Xbox One? 

From what I understand, any Xbox One can be made into a developer kit.

At which point I believe one could sideload apps.

At least if you begin development, if the powers that be decide that they are interested you can have already had began.

http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2013/12/02/access-dev-kit-option-retail-xbox-one/

Edited by godbodian

swhitmore

Does anyone on the development team own an Xbox One? 

From what I understand, any Xbox One can be made into a developer kit.

At which point I believe one could sideload apps.

At least if you begin development, if the powers that be decide that they are interested you can have already had began.

http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2013/12/02/access-dev-kit-option-retail-xbox-one/

Fairly sure that only works for games for now.

subkamran

I'll be attending Build 2014 (Microsoft's conference) in two weeks, so I'm sure they'll be announcing Xbox One dev support. That way, the team can just release their Windows 8 app for Xbox One and it'll "just work." I can help assist in testing as well since I'm a dev and can install apps.

Also, here's my thread on using MB3 with XOne: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/2773-confirmed-mb3-can-stream-to-xbox-one

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
trooper11

Well the keynote for today at Build just finished and they indeed called out Xbox One support for app developers.

This was more than the teaser they did last year, but they did not go into much detail about the specifics for things like certification or delivery to the end user.

They were heavily emphasizing the notion that you could take much of your existing code/assets from your Windows/RT/Phone app and migrate it to the X1, focusing just on any UI changes that you would like to do.  They also showed off VS changes that would aid in debugging, performance testing, and the built in UI templates for each platform that you can apply by default.

They also showed real-time changes being reflected on all of your devices at once so that your pc, phone, and xbox would auto close/reluanch the app with the changes you make.

What they still did not elaborate on was when they would open this up for general app submissions and if you use the standard Windows Store path or something as part of the ID@Xbox program.  I really hope we hear more specifics over the next couple days of Build.  I also hope that means the team of developers here will have an opportunity sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

swhitmore

When they mentioned that Xbox Apps could use the Kinect, I peed a little. This is exactly what I've been hanging out for, and the very reason I've invested so much in Microsoft products. Now they just need to deliver!

Microsoft's new universal Windows apps run everywhere, from phones to the Xbox One

Edited by swhitmore

godbodian

I think if everything is true or rather not laced with underlying policy and red tape, you guys that designed the Kinect plugin, Windows Phone app, the Windows RT app and MBT should work together, reboot and consolidate. Because technically if it stands as it is now the Xbox One will have two MB3 apps potentially competing for the same space.

I would think aesthetically it should leverage all the design qualities of MBT initial load & Chocolate on MBC menu, functionality and playback wise with minor amounts of the two native Windows apps splashed in regarding scrolling, suggestion and remote features.

With regard to consolidation, I think that the "mobile" UI's should work in a two or three fold/tiered process to best maximize on the ONE EXPERIENCE or "UNITY" of Microsoft devices. Where each device receives a number of "screening importance" between 1 and 3. Xbox Ones are always one, Windows tablets are two and Windows Phones are three. If all three devices are connected, number 1 acts as the main viewing medium, 2 relays any additional, noteworthy and DETAILED information about what is being viewed and/or acts as a remote control or primary viewing medium for number 3, number 3 acts as a remote control for either number 1 or 2 and offers minimal information. Otherwise if NOT connected or "joined in" each "unified" version acts independently and separately with no difference or distinction.

While the coding would be a challenge I think something along these lines would be awesome. I've often wanted my Windows phone to turn into a dedicated remote for my Xbox. I'm aware it's possible basically but I think if, it was designed to do so with instantaneous response time in both directions, a UI that upon opening recognizes the other app running and asks if a user would like to "join in", asking next if the user would like to "view" or "act as remote", would be flippin' awesome!

Again just thoughts...

• Like 1