3.0.5464.40000 on FreeNAS random stopping

grizlyadams

grizlyadams

Hi,

my MB3 server keeps randomly shutting down on my freenas box.

I have pbi mediabrowser-3.0.5464.40000-amd64 installed (recently upgraded).

it seems everytime I come to watch something it cant find  the server and I have to go an start the plugin.

anyone else having this?

what should I look for/check?

thanks

Griz

woodsb02

I have seen it before that if the server is left inactive for a few days it stops responding. I haven't been testing recently to be honest.

Next time this happens, can you try logging into the FreeNAS jail and extracting the log file BEFORE restarting the plugin? Then we can see what the last few lines are in that file

woodsb02

my MB3 server keeps randomly shutting down on my freenas box.

it seems everytime I come to watch something it cant find the server and I have to go an start the plugin.

What interface are you trying to use when you say it can't find the server? DLNA?

I think I remember when I had this problem before, the DLNA interface would stop showing up after a period of inactivity, but if I visited the MediaBrowser server webpage it would all come back to life and once again appear in DLNA?

Edited by woodsb02

grizlyadams

What interface are you trying to use when you say it can't find the server? DLNA?

I think I remember when I had this problem before, the DLNA interface would stop showing up after a period of inactivity, but if I visited the MediaBrowser server webpage it would all come back to life and once again appear in DLNA?

Either MBC from 7MC (mostly) or via a web browser (IE11)

nothing brings it back - I have to go onto the freenas webgui and start the MB plugin.

grizlyadams

I assume the plugin is showing as running already, and you have to REstart it?

no - the plugin is showing as stopped and I just have to start it, although I did have an instance a couple of days ago where it was showing as running and restarting fixed the issue, but of the several instances of it not being running, that's the only one that needed a restart rather than a start.

woodsb02

no - the plugin is showing as stopped and I just have to start it, although I did have an instance a couple of days ago where it was showing as running and restarting fixed the issue, but of the several instances of it not being running, that's the only one that needed a restart rather than a start.

That's interesting. Even if MediaBrowser server crashes, I don't think the plugin jail should stop.

@@josh4trunks any idea what would cause the plugin to stop?

grizlyadams
woodsb02, on 30 Dec 2014 - 12:53 AM, said:

That's interesting. Even if MediaBrowser server crashes, I don't think the plugin jail should stop.

@@josh4trunks any idea what would cause the plugin to stop?

just for info, the server is an HP microserver N54L with the AMD Turion 2 Neo 2.2GHz dual core processor, 8GB ram, only 3.5TB disk space on 2 physical disks at the moment,  ZFS, with volumes shared via CIFS, I tried to set up/run AD directory to my win2003 server but gave up as I was wasting too much of my life that I'd never get back and for the home setup its not necessary, so I just connect with a freenas user credentials now. lan direct access to MB server libraries is via redirects.

josh4trunks

mediabrowser crashing shouldn't also crash the jail.

im guessing the one time he needing to restart was caused by the process locking up where the init script still thinks it's running.

you *should* never need to restart the host. worst case scenario just restart the jail.

grizlyadams
josh4trunks, on 30 Dec 2014 - 01:29 AM, said:

mediabrowser crashing shouldn't also crash the jail.

im guessing the one time he needing to restart was caused by the process locking up where the init script still thinks it's running.

you *should* never need to restart the host. worst case scenario just restart the jail.

yeah, I know it shouldn't crash the jail, but MBS is definitely just stopping at random points. It's fair enough to start/restart MBS,but that shouldn't be happening.

That being said, it hasn't happened since I started this thread - BUT I haven't been using 7MC/MBC/MBS the same way since -usage should return to normal over the next few days, so if it stops again i'll get the logs to you guys.