Streaming MB3 over the web access?

Zero_Kool
Go to solution Solved by CBers,

Zero_Kool

I have was wondering a way to easily access the MB3 server from the web without a <ip wan address>:8096/mediabrowser

I could do a no-ip or register a domain or something. Just wondering what works for others or if the server could help generate a url for users, etc.... 

Looking for advice?

• Solution
CBers

DDNS, such as no-ip.

But it's upto you.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
steve1977

I am also using dyndns, but have not succeeded to do over reverse-proxy. I prefer not to open port 8096, but limit my exposure to port 80 only.

I have a feature request open for this, but curious whether one of you has found a workaround?

I'm a network security guy, and i just don't understand the reverse proxy desire. In my opinion, it's another element for a point of failure. Ports are ports, if you expose 80, 8096 isn't any additional threat. For transcoding and steaming, the last thing it needs is PAT overhead. A good firewall is a much better security tool than any reverse proxy.

But anyway, to each his own! If I'm understanding the original post correctly, you could make a website on port 80, and then make a redirect, so it hits a webpage at your domain without all the extra stuff, and redirects. Or, make a page and post links to each website you have, and click one to connect. I'm doing something similar to the second option, since I have like 7 websites between cameras, MB, and a few other projects!

• Like 3

steve1977

Or, make a page and post links to each website you have, and click one to connect. I'm doing something similar to the second option, since I have like 7 websites between cameras, MB, and a few other projects!

And that's what I am looking guidance for how to do it. What I currently have:

my-URL.com                          my web-site

my-URL.com/sabnzbd            sabnzbd

my-URL.com/TV                     SB

my-URL.com/CP                     CP

etc.

I would like to add my-URL.com/MBS to it and look at it remotely. Unfortunately, for some reasons that does not work. I am using reverse proxies. No idea why this fails with MBS. Any thoughts?

Not without opening the 8096 port, sorry :(  Im totally guessing here, but I imagine its a limitation of the software.  The remote clients need to trade data with the server, and the standard port 80 is probably reserved.  In order for the client and the server to trade data about transcoding, etc ...the guys probably had to assign a non standard port to handle both web, and other communications.

Thats just a guess, but MB Server is much more than just a website, and port 80 might not be up to the task.  If they did make 80 work, you would probably have to open other ports to allow it to function.

steve1977

Ok, let me go that route then of opening a second port. I have dyndns already installed and also have a domain. Do I need Apache to host MBS or what would I need to do to make it happen? Thanks for some guidance.

MBS has all the web bits built in. Just install it, and it will bind itself to port 8096 and publish out the page. Glad to help!

• 5 months later...
steve1977

Any chance you can help me with a step-by-step guide how to access MBS away from home. I assume first step will be to open port 8096? What's next and what security measures to take?

@@Sundog