Delayed collection group display

RedStripe

AdrianW

It used to be managed by setting up special folder structure and naming conventions.  That was unpopular and has been retired.

I'm not sure that it's been retired (and I'm not sure it was unpopular either). I'd much rather have my boxsets physically grouped together in the file system. Which is the way I have them all right now - and they still appear correctly in the clients I use.

Edited by AdrianW

FrostByte

Agee, the boxset way of collecting was not unpopular as mentioned.  I think a lot of us were absent when that poll was sent out :)

Another reason I liked boxsets is because I had the images and metadata for collections local along with my movies.  Now they are on my server in appdata separate from all my movies and other images and metadata files.  However, I moved on awhile ago since boxsets may not be looked at from what I read here and I didn't want to be caught in a situation in the future where it stopped working totally.

The app is good for making things simple though I give it that.

• Like 1

Beardyname

The problem with the physical location i feel that it's more locked down than this version which IMHO is better and will continue to be better, that way i don't have to make a bunch of shannanigans when i want a movie to belong in for example more than 1 collection.

However I know that each to his own and until the old one won't officially be supported no more this should perhaps be looked into why it's not working for some and why it does for others :)

• Like 3

Deathsquirrel

Guys EBR has said this is no longer a documented feature.  That means they haven't made an effort to rip it out but it also isn't tested and if something breaks it it may not be fixed quickly or at all.  I'd suggest moving forward.

If there are things that don't meet your needs about the newer solution raise feature requests to address it.  Having done this both ways, boxsets implemented in metadata only is a LOT easier to manage.

• 1 month later...
trusselo

The problem with the physical location i feel that it's more locked down than this version which IMHO is better and will continue to be better, that way i don't have to make a bunch of shannanigans when i want a movie to belong in for example more than 1 collection.

However I know that each to his own and until the old one won't officially be supported no more this should perhaps be looked into why it's not working for some and why it does for others :)

A movie in more than one collection? wtf? are you sure you wouldnt be better suited to use playlists then?

FrostByte

Not really.  I have several movies in more than one collection.  For instance The God Father movies.  The plugin obviously creates its own collection for all 3 movies and I manually created a collection called "IMdb Top 250" in which I placed the 2 movies from the God Father collection that are in the top 250.  Many other movies from collections are also in the top 250.  I wouldn't want that to be a 250 movie playlist.  Just an example

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 2

Beardyname

A movie in more than one collection? wtf? are you sure you wouldnt be better suited to use playlists then?

Frostbyte explained it :)

Also collections can do some cool stuff where i can include movies/tv shows in a collection as well.

• Like 2

dchaosblade

Personally I find this rather frustrating.  It's much easier for me to keep things organized in my file system by having movies grouped into folders (e.g. having all the Lord of the Rings movies in a single folder), especially with series whose titles are not the same (James Bond movies, Riddick movies, etc).

It'd be one thing if I could do both, but as it stands, if I have movies grouped into a collections folder in my file system, it seems to break the collections grouping in the movies list.  I add movies to the collections (right click, add to collection), but it still doesn't appear grouped in the movies view.

MndWrp

I haven't played much with mb3 lately (emby i know) but i just noticed that my collections are also broken because im using the old folder based grouping system. I don't mind manually creating the collections if i have to... but all the artwork and themes that reside in the grouping folder will now have to be linked manually on all those? A lot of work in my case... it used to work perfectly before!

MndWrp

I feel collections should have more possibilities not less... they should support artwork, themes, video backdrops, extras and trailers. Now it only supports artwork as i see it? Too bad that used to be a cool feature that drew me here from plex.. (im not going back) but i would have liked to see this feature expanded not diminished in favor of users too lazy to move a few files around.

collections are a popular feature. i see no reason we can't bring those features to collections built with the web interface.

anyway those things are still possible with folder based collections. it's some of the other stuff like grouping and the newer features that they're falling behind on. they're just not getting as much of our dev and testing time because the number of people using them have plummeted since it became possible to design them in the web interface.

MndWrp

Before the issue at hand i had a hybrid way of doing my collections. I would indeed create them via the interface since it's nice and simple and i would move the created xml to my collection folder. I usually prefer when the metadata is saved with the files hence easily backupable. So i don't mind at all working through the interface for creation or management but having them locally stored with the files opened a few more doors that are now closed.

• 1 month later...
DarkKniyt (John)

For what it's worth (my opinion that is!), I am not a fan of the way Boxsets/Collections are now handled.

To be blunt but not trying to be rude to the developers, the Web-Based Metadata manager is slow and very difficult to use which makes setting up Collections difficult.

I can't see it ever replacing MetaBrowser.

I also believe that having all my Movies (1200+) in a single folder without collections is messy at the very least.

Still, cudos to the developers and supporters of this product. Everyone should appreciate all the hard work and support of this great product.

AdrianW

I'm still grouping my collections manually into collection folders and I use metabrowser to populate the collection metadata. Emby (both the WebUI and classic) display them correctly. So it looks like support for that method hasn't been removed.

Deathsquirrel

For what it's worth (my opinion that is!), I am not a fan of the way Boxsets/Collections are now handled.

To be blunt but not trying to be rude to the developers, the Web-Based Metadata manager is slow and very difficult to use which makes setting up Collections difficult.

I can't see it ever replacing MetaBrowser.

I also believe that having all my Movies (1200+) in a single folder without collections is messy at the very least.

Still, cudos to the developers and supporters of this product. Everyone should appreciate all the hard work and support of this great product.

While a flat folder full of movie files is a supported structure, I think, it isn't something I've ever seen recommended.  The most common recommended folder structure is a folder for each movie.  The folder has the same name as the movie and both typically include the production year in the name.  For example:

\\movies\hd\Movie1 (2010)\Movie1 (2010).mp4

\\Movies\hd\Movie2 (2013)\Movie2 (2013).mkv

etc.

The change is that to create a collection you used to create a folder with a [boxset] tag and put the movies inside it like this:

\\movies\hd\MovieCollection [boxset]\Movie1 (2010)\Movie1 (2010).mp4

\\movies\hd\MovieCollection [boxset]\Movie2 (2013)\Movie2 (2013).mkv

Now it is recommended you use the first approach for all movies and just create the collection through the web UI.

DarkKniyt (John)

deathsquirrel, I do understand this. I may not have explained myself very well.

What I am saying is that with this being the new recommended way, it forces us to use the web ui. The web ui is, in my opinion, too slow and hard to work with for metadata. It also forces us to download metadata via the web ui taking away our ability to fully control it. Yes, I know I can go to each individual item (Movie, Tv Show, Episode, Collection) and make changes, but this is just too much work via the web ui. MetaBrowser is still much quicker and easier to use. In my opinion.

Again, I'm not *itchin' and complaining, I love this product and don't plan to remove it and use something else.

FrostByte

The collections plug-in will get most of the movie collections you will need and do everything you mentioned automatically