Delayed collection group display

RedStripe

RedStripe
...it's prettyrare there is so little going on in development of an app that they'll go back and fix something that barely gets used.

Are you sure that it is barely used? Are you sure that users wouldn't prefer the [boxset] approach if they had a choice? Just as discussion brought about the advent of the current implementation, further discussion may bring back the [boxset]/collection.xml  implementation.

Deathsquirrel

Are you sure that it is barely used? Are you sure that users wouldn't prefer the [boxset] approach if they had a choice? Just as discussion brought about the advent of the current implementation, further discussion may bring back the [boxset]/collection.xml  implementation.

Since I remember the conversation around it, as I was a user of the folder method too, yes, I'm sure.  The folks that posted in the discussion overwhelmingly preferred the approach that required them to do absolutely no work in managing folders.

RedStripe

What discussion? Doesn't matter. You like the current implementation, some of us don't. Let's agree to disagree.The discussion/politicing continues.

Deathsquirrel

Well if you want a third fully tested and supported method of creating box sets, particularly one that the community already tried and rejected as too much extra effort, it could help to explain what problem you're trying to solve in the existing methods.

In the existing method you organize all films the same way and then run a plugin or manually create a boxset.  In this method you have to create a different folder structure for movies in boxsets and then still run a plugin or create boxsets by hand.  What are you gaining with the extra work?  Perhaps that's a benefit that merits a feature request.

StealthDefender

Ok i take it as it is, dont think its the right way but makes no sense i think!

Beside the [boxSet] discussion the collection show not correctly in views.

When i go under genres or latest movies the are all seperatly not collapsed.

No mather how they are created! Is this the will of the developers or a bug?

Greetz Stealth

Deathsquirrel

Ok i take it as it is, dont think its the right way but makes no sense i think!

Beside the [boxSet] discussion the collection show not correctly in views.

When i go under genres or latest movies the are all seperatly not collapsed.

No mather how they are created! Is this the will of the developers or a bug?

Greetz Stealth

Correct, the collections don't show when looking on the latest or genres tabs.  They also dont show when looking at the Movies tab if you filter the view in any way.  Think I'll log an enhancement for continuing to collapse things into collection on the genre tab and in filtered movies tabs.  Latest I'm not so sure about personally but someone else can certainly request it.

StealthDefender

Correct, the collections don't show when looking on the latest or genres tabs.  They also dont show when looking at the Movies tab if you filter the view in any way.  Think I'll log an enhancement for continuing to collapse things into collection on the genre tab and in filtered movies tabs.  Latest I'm not so sure about personally but someone else can certainly request it.

So, i ve tested around a liitle bit for myself. It makes realy no sense which method i use to create a collection there are several bugs in this.

In "collections" all is fine and the sets shown correctly! But in all the other views like "all movie", "genre", "newest" etc the collections appear and dissappear every time i get in!

Tetsted on the actual beta and public relese of the server.

Greetz Stealth

Vidman

It is not a bug it is on purpose as not all items in a collection may be latest or the same genre or whatever the sort /filter may be so media Browser list's the individual items

Edited by Vidman

StealthDefender

It is not a bug it is on purpose as not all items in a collection may be latest or the same genre or whatever the sort /filter may be so media Browser list's the individual items

Ok this seems clear, i don´t see this in that way :D .

But beside of that often the collections appear and dissappear unter "all movies", no matterif i use the old "BoxSet" tag or the built in collection feature.

Deathsquirrel

Ok this seems clear, i don´t see this in that way :D .

But beside of that often the collections appear and dissappear unter "all movies", no matterif i use the old "BoxSet" tag or the built in collection feature.

In the web UI movies will group into collections under Movies > Movies if the user account used to log in has the "Group Movies Into Collections" box ticked.  The collections will not be shown under Movies > Genres or under Movies > Movies with any filters applied.

If you are using a different client check if the problem exists in the Web UI.  If not, report the issue in the forum for that client.

If you're seeing a different behavior than this in the web UI I'd start with providing some screenshots of what you're seeing.

I have my file system set up with grouped collections:

Movie1

Movie1.mkv

Collection1

Movie2

Movie2.mkv

Movie3

Movie3.mkv

Collection1.xml

Movie4

Movie4.mkv

The collections show up in metadata manager with the appropriate TheMovieDB ID and in the collections view in the Web UI but are not grouped into collections in the Movies view in the Web UI even though "Group Movies Into Collections" box is ticked and no filters are applied. They do get grouped as collections in MBC with Subdued theme in the Movies view. They do not get grouped into collections in Kodi with the Titan skin in All Movies view with the group in collections option selected in that skin. This is in the server version 5518.2 and 5518.3. 

I am using the legacy views in MBC. So I am wondering if the folder method is already seeing issues with the latest server releases. It was asked earlier what is wrong with just moving to the new way and the problem is now those that have from the start just set up their folders in an organized manner now have to redo everything so what was easy to begin with if started in an organized way now requires extra work to redo to the supported unorganized format it seems.

Edited by sasaba
  • Like 2

Happy2Play

I have my file system set up with grouped collections:

Movie1

Movie1.mkv

Collection1

Movie2

Movie2.mkv

Movie3

Movie3.mkv

Collection1.xml

Movie4

Movie4.mkv

The collections show up in metadata manager with the appropriate TheMovieDB ID and in the collections view in the Web UI but are not grouped into collections in the Movies view in the Web UI even though "Group Movies Into Collections" box is ticked and no filters are applied.

I just noticed this broke in 5518.3 but still works in 5490.2.  Now only the collections created by plugins show in movie list in current beta.

Correction just restarted server with 5490.2 for an update and now they are not grouped.  But the only update was Coverart 4.0.7.6. 

Edited by Happy2Play

Deathsquirrel

I just noticed this broke in 5518.3 but still works in 5490.2.  Now only the collections created by plugins show in movie list in current beta.

Correction just restarted server with 5490.2 for an update and now they are not grouped.  But the only update was Coverart 4.0.7.6. 

Note that is collections created by the plugin OR collections created in the UI manually.  I don't use the plugin but my manually created collections work just fine.

TMDB and I occasionally disagree on what should constitute a collection :)

StealthDefender

In the web UI movies will group into collections under Movies > Movies if the user account used to log in has the "Group Movies Into Collections" box ticked.  The collections will not be shown under Movies > Genres or under Movies > Movies with any filters applied.

If you are using a different client check if the problem exists in the Web UI.  If not, report the issue in the forum for that client.

If you're seeing a different behavior than this in the web UI I'd start with providing some screenshots of what you're seeing.

Today updated to last official release, collection problem already exists!

No mather which method i use to create a collection they only show under the "collection" tag, under "Movies" they are don´t!

And no i have no filters ticked and yes Collections are enabled in webui settings.

Greetz Stealth

post-3982-0-51953900-1424544270_thumb.jpg

post-3982-0-79245000-1424544271_thumb.jpg

The only way I was able to get collections (boxsets) to show up anywhere except in MBC with legacy views was to go into each of my collection folders (the actual hard drive folders) and remove the collection.xml file then either manually (in WebUI) or using Auto Boxsets plugin recreate the boxsets. So it looks like the legacy folder method of defining boxsets is broken except in limited circumstances where special provisions have been made to continue to recognize the legace view system. Had already done this before 5518.7 server version came out so can't say if would have made any difference. 

Deathsquirrel

The only way I was able to get collections (boxsets) to show up anywhere except in MBC with legacy views was to go into each of my collection folders (the actual hard drive folders) and remove the collection.xml file then either manually (in WebUI) or using Auto Boxsets plugin recreate the boxsets. So it looks like the legacy folder method of defining boxsets is broken except in limited circumstances where special provisions have been made to continue to recognize the legace view system. Had already done this before 5518.7 server version came out so can't say if would have made any difference. 

Try creating a collection in the web ui for any two movies that have not been part of your collections in the past.  If that collection shows up I'd start doing what sasaba describes.  If you can't even get a new collection with two random movies to work then I would hold off until that is figured out.

• Like 1

StealthDefender

Try creating a collection in the web ui for any two movies that have not been part of your collections in the past.  If that collection shows up I'd start doing what sasaba describes.  If you can't even get a new collection with two random movies to work then I would hold off until that is figured out.

Ok in this case you are right! when i set a complete new collection (movies they dont have anything to do with another then the collection appear in films.

When i want to create a existing collection (with the boxset tag)this collection would be ignored.

The funny thing on this side is that when i create a manual collection with a bunch of movies this collection would be save on the server as Iron Man Collection [boxset]!!!! :rolleyes::angry:

What the hell is this! A bad joke from the developers or only to demonstrate their "Uh i am the developer and you have to do what we are say!!!"

In any way this shit makes no sense to ignore the self created [boxset] tag but create the same [boxset] on the server.

This is not listen to the community or something else. Sorry but this is so big bullshit i can´t understand!

Sorry for be a bit pissed of there are some great people in this community, but this case is not the way it could go on and far away from compatible to other systems like Kodi or something else (they use the <set> string in nfo, which is the best way in my opinion.

What should bebetter on  put all my movies without collecting or sorted in folders than the old way. Hm?

Now to see my "allready" created collections, i have to delete them completely and put all my collected movies unsorted in any folder. Then i have to create them with the web ui. No posters or fanarts in the correct movie folder.

I think the way of a good collected media is to have all the information i need in the folder itself. Not on the servers folders!

Greetz Stealth

Deathsquirrel

You certainly do get collection posters, logos, etc., if they exist on TMDB...or you can create your own if you like.  Backup the art you already have and reuse it, whatever you like.  But yes, you clearly will need to follow the documented process of organizing your movies and creating collections since the old method isn't working for you.

Vidman

From what you say the new method is more similar to kodi than the old way as the collection is defined in metadata rather than file/folder structure

StealthDefender

From what you say the new method is more similar to kodi than the old way as the collection is defined in metadata rather than file/folder structure

In that way you are right, but what i mean is that Kodi save the metadata in the nfo.

MediaBrowser is all Server based. This is not a compatible way in my opinion.

In that way you are right, but what i mean is that Kodi save the metadata in the nfo.

MediaBrowser is all Server based. This is not a compatible way in my opinion.

There is no server in Kodi.  But, anyway, this method, in the long run works much better and can be extremely automatic if you are willing to accept the standard definition of the sets (use the auto box set plug-in and it just does it all for you).  And, even if you don't like some of those you can just create those few manually.

Happy2Play

I don't understand why grouping only works on collections created by the plugin when the server still sees all the manually created (folder structure) collections.

Example Alex Cross Collection and Alien Collection

54ea27be9103f_collections.jpg

• Like 2

Deathsquirrel

I don't understand why grouping only works on collections created by the plugin when the server still sees all the manually created (folder structure) collections.

Folder based collections appear to work for some people in some cases.  It's a deprecated feature and is no longer documented or tested.  Clearly it's partly broken.  It's my understanding that it will not be looked at.

I recommend anyone using it begin migrating to server-created collections created by hand or with the plugin.