Resume Works 50% of the Time

agentvasz

agentvasz

I have 3 XBox 360s as extenders with Media Browser in my network.  I have my media stored on a Drobo and the server is on my HTPC.  One externder is using an ethernet over powerline to connect to the server.  I have no end to problems on this extender.  It is slow, even with the most stripped down theme.  But what gives us fits is the extender will not save our place in a movie.  Then when we try to fast forward, in many cases the chapter and fast forward sliders won't work.  I have many files saved as M2TS with a 7458 bitrate.  

Any ideas?  

agentvasz

So what I thought was one issue appears to be two.  I can watch a movie and have it appear in the activity area of the server

post-15035-0-89505100-1419788410_thumb.jpg

but not appear in the resume section on the web UI 

post-15035-0-25021900-1419788409_thumb.jpg

This movie did allow me to fast forward.  Most movies that don't resume also have fast forwarding (sliding the bar) disabled as well.  It appears that is a second issue.  

Does that help?

agentvasz

Oh and the server and MB classic are fully updated to the latest version. 3.0.5464.40000 for the server via auto update and 30238 for MB Classic.

it's all connected and related to the ending time not being reported to the server, or the server not being aware of the correct runtime, so check that in the web interface.

agentvasz

So it appears that some of my new media isn't appearing in the web interface at all as recently added.  It seems like if the web interface doesn't see it, no resume option will be available.  

I add all my media and then clean up the metadata with the metadata manager.  

Why wouldn't the web UI recognize new media files?

That has nothing to do with resume. It's probably due to the date created timestamp if the files or your view settings regarding latest items

See my answer here about resume on extenders.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/15909-resume-not-functioning-from-xbox-extender/?p=160538

On a side note, fast forwarding and chapter skipping has always been a problem on extenders unless your positive everything about your file is compatible with 360 including what type of video and audio are inside the file container.

Try using the type to jump feature, I always had much more reliability on extenders with that. For example you are watching something and want to jump 30 mins in. Type 30 and hit play and it should jump right there.

Macburp

Try using the type to jump feature, I always had much more reliability on extenders with that. For example you are watching something and want to jump 30 mins in. Type 30 and hit play and it should jump right there.

I've never been able to get the numbers pad working using the new interface in MBC on my extender. So now I chapter skip :)

the new custom player interface paired with extenders is a bad idea and opens up doors for even more playback hiccups on extenders, but that's just my opinion. I have it disabled on all of mine.

• Like 1

tornadotj

I have this same problem on both my extenders and on the main HTPC. Remote won't skip forward or back, FF and RW don't work, and resume doesn't work. And like I said, this isn't just on extenders, if I stop a movie on the HTPC then go back the next day to finish, I have to get out the keyboard and put the movie back to where we left off. 

And this happens after playing other content, then trying to resume the previous movie.

BAS, can you tell me what you mean by custom player interface? I would gladly turn off any custom interfaces if possible. 

WAF is going down rapidly. MB2 worked great, but now that I've gone to MB3 we are having all sorts of issues.

Edited by tornadotj

I have this same problem on both my extenders and on the main HTPC. Remote won't skip forward or back, FF and RW don't work, and resume doesn't work. And like I said, this isn't just on extenders, if I stop a movie on the HTPC then go back the next day to finish, I have to get out the keyboard and put the movie back to where we left off. 

And this happens after playing other content, then trying to resume the previous movie.

BAS, can you tell me what you mean by custom player interface? I would gladly turn off any custom interfaces if possible. 

WAF is going down rapidly. MB2 worked great, but now that I've gone to MB3 we are having all sorts of issues.

That sounds like you are not direct playing the content which leads to incorrect setup as far as either permissions or network paths.

However, even if you are not direct playing, resume should still work - unless your content hasn't been recognized properly and we don't know how long it is.

tornadotj

Absolutely going direct. Forgot to mention that. I have the paths set up as (example) \\192.168.1.1\movies, and I have a redirect set up to catch anything that I might miss during configuration (although I know they are all correct at the moment).

Rights are set to allow all to read.

Edited by tornadotj

tornadotj

Well, I did a little testing. Forward and reverse skip are working on the HTPC. I will have to test later on the extender. Resume did not work on my Die Hard mkv file, so I watched another movie, then went back to Die Hard, and the Resume selection still wasn't there. Went back to the second movie, and the Resume button was there. Both movies are .MKVs. 

So let me do a little more testing when I have full access to the extenders. The family is using them for other stuff right now. Is there a way I can test turning off the "custom player interface" mentioned above? Is a custom player interface configured by default?

The custom interface is not going to affect resume at all.  It would only potentially be a problem with skipping ahead and back on extenders.  There is an option in the config pages.

tornadotj

I forgot about the extender in my guest room. I just gave it a shot. I turned off custom player interface, then went to the second movie I mentioned above. No resume (this worked in MB2 and was one of the main reasons I went to extenders). So, now to try playing back a movie... started up Die Hard, and tried to forward skip. It didn't work and I think I see why. MB seems to think the movie is 0:00 long. So I tried another movie, same issue. 

I can send logs if needed, but where do I need to send them from, the MB3 server, or MB3 classic on the HTPC?

Edited by tornadotj

MrWebsmith

do all movies that exhibit these problems have a length of 0:00??  i would imagine that a good deal of player functions like resume or skip cant if it doesnt compute the duration correctly..

what does the metadata and/or web client show for the length/duration for these.. a screen cap would be great also

Yep, if we don't know the duration then there is no way we can track resume points or skip.  This has nothing to do with the extenders.  It is related to the metadata and media info on the server side for these items.  Try refreshing them with the metadata manager.

techywarrior

ebr, not sure if this is worth it since it would be a fix to something that shouldn't be happening anyway. I am assuming that the reason resume doesn't work without the duration is because you don't know if the video has reached the "mark as completed" threshold. The player should still be submitting the current location in seconds to the server so when the server sees it doesn't have a duration can't it still mark the resume point? This would prevent the video being marked as complete automatically but instead you would have resume functional and also it won't mark it as watched as soon as you start playing.

Ultimately the video should have it's metadata updated to have a valid duration but if there are no technical issues in how you are handling resume on the server side wouldn't my suggestion make more sense then the current method?

It may not be worth the time to change and getting the proper meta data would be the better solution. On the other hand, could the server not automatically try and re-get the metadata when it does a library scan and sees a video file that currently has no duration?

The server really needs accurate media info to be able to do any of its main functions so I think starting to fudge that in places would be a bad path to take.

However, from the MBC side, I already fall back to user-entered metadata for duration if the media info isn't there.  That should allow seek (if it is accurate) but not resume as the server handles that determination.

techywarrior

Understandable. However, since the metadata is so important. Shouldn't every library scan try and get the metadata for a video file that lists itself as having no duration? That should be very easy for the server to do since a single query on the DB will give it all of those items to check and it knows what is a video file versus what is an image or something that shouldn't have a duration.