Poll - Which Live TV Plugin should be next?

bigjohn

267 members have voted

1. 1. Which plugin(s) would you like to see developed next?

• DVBLink/DVBLogic
    • DVB Viewer
    • MythTV
    • TV-Headend
    • VDR

• 1 month later...
QDivision

I have spent the last couple of months trialing the majority of TV backends, my set up is:

• Linux Server
  • HDHomerun Connect
  • Main PC running Windows & Kodi frontend

TV backends I have tried:

• TVHeadend (on ubuntu 16.04)
  • DVBLink (on windows 10 and ubuntu 16.04)
  • DVBViewer (on windows 10)
  • MediaPortal (on windows 10)
  • NextPVR (on windows 10)
  • ServerWMC (on my old set up on windows 7)

My requirements are:

• Easy to use DVR that has proper series linking (or as close to as possible using repeat flags in EPG file), I only want to record new episodes of series and not ones that have aired previously.
  • Stability
  • Time-shifting (preferably on RAM since I use an SSD and want to reduce reads/writes to that but need it to have fast access to the time-shift buffer)
  • Compatibility with HDHomerun
  • Plugins available with Kodi and Emby (I use kodi as my main interface on my home PC with emby backend for my movies but also want to schedule recordings with emby when away from home)
  • Channel editor (I use Freeview UK but there are a lot of junk channels that I want to disable or rename)

My experience has been:

• DVBLink on Windows worked really well in terms of recordings but Kodi kept crashing.
  • Next up was NextPVR, this was very stable however series recordings were awful, it kept scheduling recordings from old series.
  • DVBViewer I gave up trying to set up with HDHomerun
  • MediaPortal was a pain to set up but once working the recording scheduling were similar to NextPVR
  • I switched form windows to ubuntu to use TVHeadend, this was proabbly the worst in terms of how easy it was to set up. The recordings on this were better (utilizing schedules direct xml grabber) however it was based on new flags and you couldn't set it up based on repeat flag not being present, this meant if the epg data wasn't good enough (rarely was) then a lot of shows were being missed!
  • Back to DVBLink but on ubuntu this time (hoping the stability issue would be gone) hey presto! it all works beautifully, the EPG data uses there own paid for TV source but it seems to be better than any XML grabber I've used (more data) the series recordings are near perfect, i can move the time-shift to ram fairly easily (modification to a simple xml user file) and it is by FAR the easiest to use problem out of the ones I've tried, ok you have to pay for the software unlike the others but if it works I'm happy to pay!

I mentioned serverWMC, my old set up was a WMC frontend on windows 7 but as that is a dead project I have been wanting to move away from that set up, at the time I had no issues with ServerWMC.

I hope this helps anyone looking for TV backends to use, obviously your requirements and experiences may differ.

EmbyLearner

Just went through DVB, Media Portal, Emby Theatre, Myth TV, and NextPVR in my effort to move to Windows 10. Hands down NextPVR has them beat with picture quality (relative) ease of setup and it is the closest to WMC in lLve TV Performance and controls. Myth TV seems to be the right solution but it is only for Linux. Here's some rankings from a user that has tried.

1. Next PVR

2. Myth TV

3. Headend

4. Media Portal

5. DVB

Emby Theatre:

Now that WMC is gone you guys really need to step up the Live TV interface in Emby Theater. That is the only thing holding me back and has me, a loyal Emby user, looking at other solutions.

Picture quality is not the best.

Very limited controls

Slow connecting

Slow channel changing

No aility to organize recordings into groups by show or season

One can't even type in a channel number to change the channel yet.

Development of the Live TV app is the one thing that would make Emby theatre the NUMBER ONE choice for replacing WMC. But even with all that said. Emby is still the best out there in terms of where we are and where we are going.

• 2 months later...
khaweri

Your list doesn't include Cast4ME, which is a lightweight, easy-to-use IPTV and DLNA server for Windows, allowing you to stream TV signals from TV tuners connected to your PC, through the network to multiple client devices on your LAN or via the Internet.

Regards,

khaweri

Your list doesn't include Cast4ME, which is a lightweight, easy-to-use IPTV and DLNA server for Windows, allowing you to stream TV signals from TV tuners connected to your PC, through the network to multiple client devices on your LAN or via the Internet.

Regards,

khaweri

@@khaweri, Cast4ME is already supported via our M3U support, therefore the work is already done. No plugin is needed.

• 3 months later...
lalascott71

DVBViewer PRO

What's that? So this works well with Emby?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

if you have an enigma tv tuner then we have a better way of using that with Emby. Now with OpenVix you can add your enigma tuner directly to Emby using Emby's native support. No VU+ plugin needed.

You can learn more here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52762-enigma2-livetvdvr-support/

Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...