Poll - Which Live TV Plugin should be next?

bigjohn

267 members have voted

1. 1. Which plugin(s) would you like to see developed next?

• DVBLink/DVBLogic
    • DVB Viewer
    • MythTV
    • TV-Headend
    • VDR

szimat

If we are talking about Linux, then no question, it should be VDR. I know tvheadend is more popular, but VDR is just rock stable, perfect backend. Configure, and forget, it just works, works, works...

EDIT: and it does have excellent plugins, live streamdev-server, live, etc.

Edited by szimat

StoneMonkeyMark

Live TV is all about the channel changing speed. Measure your $100 cheapo TV, Measure them and be surprised, measure them in a server client system and be shocked.

szimat

Actually IMHO this should be divided by platform: Linux and Windows.

For Windows DVBViewer is the best application, it's really a great app. As a tv server backend MediaPortal TV-server is the best choice, once configured properly, it is rather stable and fast (not a small thing on Windows) -- and it is already available. Anyway, I again think Windows should not be used for any server, backend, etc, Linux is far more superior.

Once it comes to Linux, Emby would really need a Linux client. being in the htpc world very intensively, I really must say none of the backends (including Win versions) comes even close to VDR and its plugins. The lack of proper documentations and somewhat non-intuitive configuration makes it quite challenging to configure it properly, but once done, it is there to work and forget about it. (@GrahamH68: have you tried out VDR with Live and Epgsearch plugins for scheduling across multiple tuners? I think it really does the job well. I must admit, didn't try it, as I use a single DVB-S2 tuner).

The good news is that thanks to Tuxx, a VDR plugin is already available, look at: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21231-vdr-plugin-development/

It is working great, I did some testing too and basically not too much I can say, except thanks Tuxx for your great work, it is working:)

TVH might be popular, I did play with it quite a lot, even the recent versions, and I must say it doesn't even come close to VDR. However, it is becoming much more usable now, and being a popular choice for many users, it should be also supported. With these two Linux backends a large portion of Linux users would be covered. Hard to tell which one first TVH or VDR. TVH being more popular, VDR being THE best and rock solid, but less popular because of the above mentioned. I recall there is a beta version of TVH plugin also available?

Keep up the good work!

Edited by szimat

• 4 weeks later...
Blueeyiz702

May i ask,what it good hardware to purchase for live tv on windows 7 32bit?

1971camaroguy

Please Please Please look into a tablo plugin lol

I've been using one for about six months now and love how easy and smooth it works.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
lulzyatlas

Honestly I wouldn't say any of these. Tuners are great but have you seen the Mobdro app for Android? It has no EPG, just a list of channels, but selecting one plays an internet stream of the channel, on a Nexus Player with Emby its a joy.

I think a plugin incorporating this feature would be pivotal, even in conjunction with tuners, the option to plugin internet streams of TV channels and customized niche media channels into Emby's Live TV system with the EPG would open the feature up for pretty much every user. Internet streams are offered for almost all TV channels internationally, and even with a Tuner bringing you local broadcasts, being able to supplement that selection with channels from regions all over would only make a good thing better.

So I'd vote an Internet Live TV Stream plugin.

yes but when you restrict the available sources to legally obtained video feeds then that lowers the value of that considerably

lulzyatlas

yes but when you restrict the available sources to legally obtained video feeds then that lowers the value of that considerably

Yes, but the sources don't have to be bundled. A plugin compatible stream list could be offered in a dozen formats in a remote location far away on two dozen sites and a simple plugin that could accept these streams (I have no idea if they're RTSP, HTTP, etc) and process them isn't limited to those channels, it'd be open to internet TV of all kinds (a lot of custom user made feeds offered in there). If movie and TV libraries were limited to legally acquired copies we probably wouldn't have made it past the good ol MB2 Configurator days. And if sources for plugin content were limited to legally obtained media we would've never had one of our best plugins (The Late Great GameBrowser, RIP).

It's 2015 and when it comes to Live TV the HTPC community on all platforms still exists under the boot of draconian cable card DRM regulations they were only able to make law by having a monopoly. Why continue buying $200+ tuners and CableCards every HW, codec, and DRM revision just for the gimped stepchild of the real thing? It'd be nice for someone to have a solution that doesn't involve the hurdles they've added. Support for internet TV streams with a Live TV interface would give us a massive leg up as a suite and community as it simply isn't offered by the other guys, and it'd possibly help break the cycle of HTPC media suites implementing ways to talk to backends which have updates and caveats of their own, for tuners which updates and caveats of their own, for CableCARD access which is pretty much just a caveat in and of itself.

The hardest part would be building and maintaing the channel/stream list for importing into the plugin, though that could be dug up by the users once we have a format and syntax to work with as I'm sure something of this sort would attract cord cutting Live TV aficionados from all platforms.

Edited by lulzyatlas

Nothing in the core functionality or sanctioned plug-ins directly accesses illegal media content.  We need to keep it this way so Luke's statement still stands.

• 1 month later...
tacticalcity

What I would absolutely LOVE to see is the ability to have your live TV source be the streaming services from the major providers like Xfinity, DirectTV, or even something like SlingBox. So you don't have to have a hard line going to your computer from your setbox located where you have your Emby server running. You could just use your paid TV providers streaming services as your Live TV source and take full advantage of the remote friendly enviorment. 

Sure, you can go to their websites and use your mouse and keyboard to navigate them. But they are not remote friendly like Emby is. Which is the primary reason I like Emby for managing my digital movie collection. And it would be nice not to have to leave Emby to take advantage of those online services. 

I realize there are a host of issues involved. But it is what I would find most useful in my everyday life as an Emby user and that would keep me inside the Emby enviorment rather than bouncing back and forth between Emby and my TV Service providers website (which is a major pain to use compared to Emby). Especially Xfinity - since that is the service I subsribe to. Me first, right! ;-)

Edited by tacticalcity

• 2 weeks later...
blauter78

SiliconDust's DVR software. In the house I use their view app but having it through Emby for remote/mobile viewing and especially for scheduling recordings remotely would be awesome (SD does not offer remote scheduling yet and not sure if planned).

SiliconDust's DVR software. In the house I use their view app but having it through Emby for remote/mobile viewing and especially for scheduling recordings remotely would be awesome (SD does not offer remote scheduling yet and not sure if planned).

Our built-in support for the HDHR should provide you this functionality now...

• Like 1

blauter78

Our built-in support for the HDHR should provide you this functionality now...

If I decide to ditch cable channels flagged copy once, I would definetly use it, I love the Emby interface/apps/guide. I was hoping for a way to use Emby as remote DVR scheduling using SiliconDust backend.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
StealthDefender

Any chance to get an dvb viewer plugin for server in any way?

Or has anybody an similiar choice?

In first place i need the tv server with 2 cable cards to record 3 or 4 series a day!

Live TV is not that importand, i use to give web os 2.0 on the new tv a chance.

Problem is tv has only one tuner and i need the tv server in this case anyway.

I am happy for any solutions, hints and tips!

Maybe i can get rid of ma htpc in living room and can all view over the web os.

Greetz Stealth

• 3 weeks later...
Zeze21

There is apparently a dvbviewer plugin:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21717-dvbviewer-plugin/

the sources can be found here:

https://github.com/shfatimi/ unfortunately i am to stupid to compile it myself with msbuild and csc i just get errors

Maybe soneone here is smarter and could compile it to make it available for technically limitied users such as myself...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
hoppel118

Only 6% voted for vdr.

What's up with you guys? [emoji6]

I would really love to see this as a emby plugin. vdr runs really flawless with vnsi and kodi.

I use vdr as a plugin from the nas distribution openmediavault which I also can recommend to all of you.

Have fun and greetings from Germany!

Hoppel

EDIT:

After searching again for this, I found the following:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21231-vdr-plugin-development/

Nice, I am going to check it out later. [emoji2]

Edited by hoppel118
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...