Which Version of Roku?

Netbug
Go to solution Solved by gcw07,

I'm looking to extend my MB experience beyond the HTPC for the first time and the Roku looks promising.

Is there any reason I would want to get the Roku 3 over the Roku 2 if I intend to use it only for MB?

Would any other "extender" be recommended over the Roku (Apple TV, etc.)?

I have the Roku LT, same as the NOW TV box in the uk and it works very well and im very please with it.

I can access all my movie and tv content via MBS.

The other big factor for me was the cost as I don't have a high speed internet connection streaming over the net wasn't viable but the Roku allows me to access my stuff over my local network 

Cant comment on the apple tv as ive never used one

Edited by Jasoon
  • Like 1

Scott84Z28

I have a Roku3 and it works great.  I got the 3 instead of the cheaper ones for the performance.  I haven't used a 2, but the specs of the 3 should make it smoother and faster.  I'm just using it for MediaBrowser mostly.

I have a Roku3 and it works great.  I got the 3 instead of the cheaper ones for the performance.  I haven't used a 2, but the specs of the 3 should make it smoother and faster.  I'm just using it for MediaBrowser mostly.

Same here.  The difference was only $20-30 so I just got the 3.

• Solution

Out of the new Roku line that was just introduced (which have really confusing names btw), I'd definitely recommend the Roku 3. It is $20 more then the new Roku 2, but it has a duel core processor so the overall speed of the entire thing feels all that much faster and smoother. 

Not sure where you live, but if your in the US, Amazon currently is selling it for $88.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-3-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00BGGDVOO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382977189&sr=8-2&keywords=Roku+3

That makes it only $10 more then the new Roku 2 and well worth the extra money imo. 

• Like 2

cpttango30

I have 2 networks in my home. I am assuming that to get MB to work on my Roku 3 it would need to be on the same network. 

I have 2 networks in my home. I am assuming that to get MB to work on my Roku 3 it would need to be on the same network. 

The MB roku channel will attempt to find a MB server running on your local network. If it is unable to do so, it will ask you to input the IP address and port of the MB server. So you should be able to just let it fail to initially find the server then manually point it to your other network and the MB server on that network.

• 1 month later...
tobias-tobin

Christmas time and I bought 3 Roku's off Amazon as refurbished.  These were for people that are not in need of highest quality levels or performance.  

These are $39.95 (Roku HD), wireless b/g/n, and 720p.

Above lithium630 had to return his Roku 2's because of wifi only.  Just an fyi, the Roku 2 XS model has Ethernet and USB support.

These are $59.95 (Roku 2 XS), wireless b/g/n, Ethernet, 1080p, USB port, and free 6' HDMI cable

Yes, the Roku 3 is the best right now, and the improved processor does speed things up (in the interface).  But, if you are wanting to acquire a Roku for a less discriminating person, these refurbished offer a cheaper route.  I've bought 3 of them with no issues.

Koleckai Silvestri

I have the Roku 3 hooked up via Ethernet and my gigabit network. The media center has its own switch that goes back to the main hub. I haven't had any major issues streaming from MediaBrowser, Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Instant or M-Go. Our next Roku boxes will probably be in the 2 series. Will have to check them out. I don't have ethernet upstairs currently so they'll have to rely on WiFi. Being able to hide the box behind the television for a clean look is a plus.

If your going wifi only, I'd really consider the 3 or the brand new roku 2 (not the older model, the model just released in Sept). Those are the only two units that have duel-band wireless built in. You will get a much better wireless signal from them.

Koleckai Silvestri

Thanks for the heads up. Haven't decided at this time whether I should run a switch upstairs or not. We have a lot of devices so am worried about wireless saturation as well.

tobias-tobin

@ - you can do broadband over powerline.  I use it in the house for locations where I have ip cameras and the wifi strength is not enough for a good stream.  The powerline devices are doing a fine job and so far have been solid and easy to setup. I'm using these from Actiontek.  2 for $38.50.  And then you can buy single units if you want to add another.  You don't have to plug one directly to the router either.  Connecting to a switch works too.  I have four of these going and they do fine. These are good too (maybe better) and about the same price.  Don't expect 500Mbps but you should get enough to stream high definition without problems.  The only other thing you should know is these do need to be plugged into an outlet.  With that in mind, getting the nano models, or something small is good.