Beta 3.1.0

7illusions

Don't know if this is doable or not but I know it is something that is asked for a lot on the Plex side.  If you don't like it just ignore it or keep in as an idea for a later version.

Admins of systems have asked for the ability to manage not only who can and can't sync but if they are allowed to transcode or not.  The thought is that you could give users the ability to sync content in ORIGINAL only format but not allow them to choose any other option.  If they can't play the native file - tough, but the idea is to save the server CPU from having to deal with additional transcoding (on top of normal transcoding).

I'll use my daughter as an example.  She will play and figure out that she can have synced 20 TV episodes on her Galaxy Note or her tablet (whatever) instead of 6 in ORIGINAL format. So for selfish reasons she will choose the medium setting.  Me as the server operator on the other hand may know her devices can direct play her content and since I don't care how many episodes she can store at one time will want to force her to only use original format so my CPU doesn't have to transcode everything.

Or maybe I've got someone who barely gets the concept of sync and won't have the slightest idea what original vs high means, even when reading it and will just choose "high" because it sounds better.  They might relate "high" to HD or something.  By being able to allow them to sync without transcoding it may be a feature more people can use especially if they are already CPU limited but not bandwidth limited.

Carlo

PS I don't use plex sync because I can't force users to use the original file and my CPU is often close to saturated.

Edited by cayars

swhitmore

I've gotten 2 of these while syncing a bunch of stuff overnight. Did you want logs?

Convert media failed.

3 hours ago
ffmpeg subtitle extraction failed for file:"\\SERVER\Videos\Movies\Fury\Fury.mkv" to C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\cache\subtitles\2\2a38b60c-ff4b-6c23-cfff-f30f60f20150.srt
it looks like it still converted and transferred. I won't get a chance to play the file until I get home from work tonight. Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

SilentAssassin

Well that sync job has only one item so the answer is no, and perhaps we can improve that in the future by limiting the options that are displayed there.

But for multi-item sync jobs it's valuable because you can cancel individual items that you change your mind on, you can mark individual items to be removed from the device. Or if the sync conversion fails for whatever reason you can see that on an item basis and queue them for retry, things of that nature.

Thanks, as soon as I posted the query I realised myself that's the purpose.

Maleficarum

Sorry i haven't had much time to test as yet. Getting a new box set up so hopefully i can get something done then.

Edited by Maleficarum

Deihmos

if transcoding is required it will take about as long as the video itself. we'll add settings for that later i'm sure.

I was wondering why it was taking so long. Hopefully that is fixed eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
Skkittlebomb

Finally had some time to sit down tonight and install the beta to test the sync. 

Got all the way to Step 3 (as per this link (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243053

3. On the Start screen, choose the tile that shows the name of your app.

The app starts.

I have no link for any app.  Guess I'm not off to a great start! 

SilentAssassin

Finally had some time to sit down tonight and install the beta to test the sync. 

Got all the way to Step 3 (as per this link (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243053

3. On the Start screen, choose the tile that shows the name of your app.

The app starts.

I have no link for any app.  Guess I'm not off to a great start! 

You don't need the beta anymore, the updated App has been published to the Windows 8.1 store. Also when you install Apps now they don't get added to the start screen automatically, they go into the all apps screen (swipe up on touch or click the arrow in bottom left), where you will find new apps highlighted. From here you can pin the App to the start screen.

• Like 1

Skkittlebomb

Wow, these guys are fast! Perhaps I can help out elsewhere =)