Transition from MBC & Extenders to MBT

godbodian

godbodian

Okay given that everyone is transitioning to MBT and WIndows 8.1 pretty much killed MBC, transcoding and extenders. If someone is willing, can anyone explain the transition from MBC to MBT for my setup, so I can play those other codec formats? (ie. MKV, etc.)

swhitmore

Yeah, I'm currently struggling to get my Extender working with MBC. It plays videos fine, but the quality is horrid. I think it's more an issue with codecs though. My extender transcodes off the HTPC (not the same as the MB3 server transcode). When I installed MBC, I moved over to K-lite 10 codec pack that uses LAV. I'm not sure if this handles extenders too.

What exactly are you having issues with?

Edit: sorry I read you post wrong. MBT won't work with an extender as they are only designed for WMC. MBC and MBT can be run on the same machine though. I'm planning on running MBC for my extender and MBT on my main HTPC.

Edited by swhitmore

godbodian

See that's my problem, I'm not in a place to have nor do I want to have multiple HTPCs to stream to all of my televisions. The extender setup up was perfect for me, given the amount of available access it gave. But now it's like I'm stuck.

I'm okay for now because the majority of my library is MP4 but for those files that aren't there is no support and while I understand the point of the Devs, I wish they would reconsider given the nature of software is to forge forward but also be backwards compatible. Regardless of how short sighted Microsoft is currently, I hope they come around to the point that streaming local media for people, will always be a necessity given the fact that while most COMMERCIAL media is a fixed conduit, individuals are creating more media on their own, for their own usage and it's not a decreasing marketshare. Right now the only company facing that fact head on is Google, but their software isn't as consistent in quality, although they are a vast improvement from earlier periods.

Still I would like to maintain my system and play virtually any codec possible but apparently it's not "worth" the effort.

swhitmore

See that's my problem, I'm not in a place to have nor do I want to have multiple HTPCs to stream to all of my televisions. The extender setup up was perfect for me, given the amount of available access it gave. But now it's like I'm stuck.

I'm okay for now because the majority of my library is MP4 but for those files that aren't there is no support and while I understand the point of the Devs, I wish they would reconsider given the nature of software is to forge forward but also be backwards compatible. Regardless of how short sighted Microsoft is currently, I hope they come around to the point that streaming local media for people, will always be a necessity given the fact that while most COMMERCIAL media is a fixed conduit, individuals are creating more media on their own, for their own usage and it's not a decreasing marketshare. Right now the only company facing that fact head on is Google, but their software isn't as consistent in quality, although they are a vast improvement from earlier periods.

Still I would like to maintain my system and play virtually any codec possible but apparently it's not "worth" the effort.

Not sure how that rant relates to your issue. MBC works with extenders. You can have your exact same setup by replacing MB2 with MBC. You can then use MBT on the same box if you wanted to. No multiple HTPC's required.

Just curious but are you currently using WMC for live tv? If so that will pretty much limit you always to WMC and MBC. At least for the foreseeable future. Now if live tv isn't in the mix and your just using WMC/extenders for your local content then there is always the option to replace the extenders with Roku's or smaller/cheaper htpcs and run the full MBT when it is released.

• Like 1

I moved over to K-lite 10 codec pack that uses LAV. I'm not sure if this handles extenders too.

Scott if you have Lav installed (which i assume you do for mbt testing) extenders work fine with just lav that is all i have installed and everything plays fine.

swhitmore

Scott if you have Lav installed (which i assume you do for mbt testing) extenders work fine with just lav that is all i have installed and everything plays fine.

Yeah I do, but the bitrate is extremely low while transcoding mkv's. Do you use Transcode 360? I had a look at the LAV settings last night, but couldn't find anything related.

Edited by swhitmore

No transcode 360 should be removed it is such a dead project now I haven't used it for years. Mbc doesn't transcode it plays direct not sure what you are seeing re bitrate

swhitmore

No transcode 360 should be removed it is such a dead project now I haven't used it for years. Mbc doesn't transcode it plays direct not sure what you are seeing re bitrate

I'm using a Linksys DMA2100. I don't think the extender is playing directly. I see a 'buffering' notification come up for a second before the video starts and the quality is really bad compared to directly playing it on the HTPC. I'm assuming it's a transcoding issue. The Transcode 360 option still exist in MBC, I was goign to try that tonight to see if I can get some control over the stream.

godbodian

Same here I've been using transcode up until today when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and it was working perfectly until the very last update. (The one just prior to 3.0.5031.21343.) It and the UNC paths allowed me to play every codec format.

I didn't know you guys had stopped supporting it, until earlier this month. 

• 3 weeks later...
ordinarybanter

So, my MCE Live Tv has just lost its mind. I've spent a few hours trying to get it back again. Getting very tired of this. I can't wait to go to MBT but Live TV is important to me. What do you guys use for alternatives? I remember some chatter about what MBT will look at for implementing that support. Anyone know what that is?

So, my MCE Live Tv has just lost its mind. I've spent a few hours trying to get it back again. Getting very tired of this. I can't wait to go to MBT but Live TV is important to me. What do you guys use for alternatives? I remember some chatter about what MBT will look at for implementing that support. Anyone know what that is?

It really depends upon your live tv setup. If your using cable cards well basically WMC is all there is. If your not using that type of tuner, then you have some options. MBT's Live TV initial design is going to be around Next PVR. While there are some other options for Live TV if your not using Cable Cards, none of them are going to be as complete as WMC. I wish there were other options, but there really aren't.

Cheesegeezer

I've heard that Sharks Codec Pack works well if you make sure that you select the option for Alternate Extender.  This improves everything from pixelation issues and audio on your WMC extender.

Although In my experience I hate Sharks Codec pack and the complexity for setting the damn thing up.

It may be a quick alternative for those wishing to use extenders that have MKV's in their library and don't wish to spend days remuxing their collection.

Cheesegeezer

What does "Alternate Extender" do?

:huh: I dunno, it's on the MKV Tab during your setup.  By all accounts it helps video playback.

Cheesegeezer

You can't Scott!!! 

MBT is locked with LAV Filters installed as default.  Even messing with the merits of LAV filters and FFDShow's merits I can't override the default LAV filters.  Uninstalling the LAV filters after initial setup just prompts LAV filter re-install. The only way to override the LAV filters is to use an external player.  When I was messing with MPCHC as an external player (a month or so ago) it ruined the experience for me.  I like things to be native in an app! If I get time I would like to have a go at adding FFDshow filters, either as a plugin or as part of the core and allow Luke to preview it and hopefully push it, to allow for more directshow filters to be used. However this won't be for at least a month as I have other things I'm currently working on.

XBMC and mediaportal handle Directshow Filters extremely well and allows the end user to have a perfect setup for their experience.

All that being said, I think that once MBT is released (even without extra filters support), Luke needs to go away for a while and take a well earned break from MB, sit back on a beach in the Caribbean with a large Pina Colada and just watch the sea go in and out :)

ordinarybanter

It really depends upon your live tv setup. If your using cable cards well basically WMC is all there is. If your not using that type of tuner, then you have some options. MBT's Live TV initial design is going to be around Next PVR. While there are some other options for Live TV if your not using Cable Cards, none of them are going to be as complete as WMC. I wish there were other options, but there really aren't.

Thanks - I'll have a look at Next PVR. I am in using a Satellite STB and colossus card from Hauppauge my MCE setup is generally fairly stable but inexplicably lost its mind and now I am trying to wrestle it back. Just hoped for an alternative.

• 1 month later...
Rickt1962

I'm using a Linksys DMA2100. I don't think the extender is playing directly. I see a 'buffering' notification come up for a second before the video starts and the quality is really bad compared to directly playing it on the HTPC. I'm assuming it's a transcoding issue. The Transcode 360 option still exist in MBC, I was goign to try that tonight to see if I can get some control over the stream.

Just checking in to see if you found away to Transcode DMA2100 yet ? I spent the last several months setting up a complex multisystem Using a DMA2100 using MB and my home PC using XBMC and my Bluray player using PLEX and my 4th TV using XBMC with Raspberry Pi ! all using the same network and same Movie folders ! The only mistake I found out If you want to use MCEBuddy to remove TV commercials automatically from WMC DO NOT USE KLite or Shark007 only use FFDShow Every thing is working on Windows 7x64 great and FAST ! except for my DMA2100 it takes along time to buffer the movie doesn't matter what formats it plays them all ! But just trying to figure out how to Transcode it before its streamed