Feature Request: Auto-Recognition of Extender & Login

godbodian

godbodian

I was thinking about those of us like myself that still use extenders. If there was a way for MBS to recognize a particular extender based upon it's device name, (my device names never change) and then send an auto-execute command to itself on behalf of that extender and a preset login, that would be awesome. Then we could have user profiles, that are remembered by the system, like on Hulu or Netflix.

As well as settings for MBS to remember and use whatever was the last login used or show the profile screen as normal.

If this is already capable to this extent and I somehow missed this feature, please let me know.

Edited by godbodian

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking for here.  What does "Send an auto-execute command to itself" mean? 

The server isn't really involved in extenders at all, though.

When I built my api plugin for MB 2.6, I ran into the issue that there is no way to uniquely identify and differentiate one extender from another. I think any efforts to do this sort of thing would run into the same problem.

godbodian

From my limited understanding, whenever you have software you have commands written in regard to what you want to happen. My thought was that MBS has additional file folders for "setup" where it logs in what login was last used and what login is has been set as the default login PER OR IN CONJUNCTION TO a particular device ID. From what I would believe the Device ID using MBS is known immediately regardless of using an extender or some other device. Why can't MBS knowing Device ID: Xbox 345 is activated, simply issue the same command to itself (per USER settings) that choosing a profile would? Thus allowing some users to bypass the profile login but also giving extenders what would appear as an auto login and "remembered" login feature.

I hope I've explained it in a manner that you can understand, if not I apologize.

godbodian

Luke thats what I dont understand. I've been using the remote feature for a while and always with extenders, it always tells me the ACTUAL device name of the extender or the devices actively using MBS/MBC on my network. Regardless of their being iPhones, Windows Phone, Internet Explorer or one of my three Xboxes. And all the name are unique. They are always the same and they never change unless the extender connection itself changes.

The name always mimics the name in Regedit that I had to find when I was figuring out how to remove the blue borders from around the extender screen.

This would be a function of the client (MBC) not the server.

You can actually setup extenders to login to a specific profile automatically but it is a manual process right now.  If you were to go to the host machine and set that up to auto login to the account you wish, and then copy the MBCommonXml.config file from that user directory to the one for the extender account (mx_n) then that extender will auto login to that account.

However, if you do this, it won't ever be possible to login to any other account on that extender unless you delete that configuration.

MBC doesn't currently have a "remember last user" feature because it isn't possible to switch users within an MBC session.

I still don't see a reason for the server to be involved. I think what you're basically asking for is some additional auto-login settings for MBC related to extenders.

swhitmore

I have auto login working for my extender by manually editing the config file in the extender user folder.