High Memory Usage with Kodi skins

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Hi guys,

I am not sure what aspect may be causing this, but I noticed that whenever I run either Titan or 1080XF I get a very high memory usage with Kodi.

It goes from 68mb without any skin selected (but with the addon installed) to 350 to 400mb with the skin installed. I am not sure if it's the helper service or what.

If I launch the addon from Confluence, the addon works fine and the memory usage maybe goes up to 80mb at the most.

I only even noticed it because suddenly when watching a tv show, everything will run fine until about 20 minutes into the show it would start buffering, hanging up and the video would slow down or pause. I opened my task manager and saw the high memory usage and thought it may be the problem.

I tried it this way with both the Titan skin and the 1080XF skin and the same thing happens.

I am on Windows 8.1 running Kodi RC3.

Here is my log: kodi.log

Thanks,

Jason

im85288

Can you also try removing the skin helper service, it's no longer needed and could be causing problems.

jasonmcroy

Can you try beta?  

Thanks,

xnappo

Hi Xnappo,

I tried the Beta repo and I still get the same thing. It says for the addon it's version 0.9.735. Is that the correct number?

Can you also try removing the skin helper service, it's no longer needed and could be causing problems.

Hi im,

I can't find anything that is the skin helper service. I do remember seeing that in past versions but it's not showing up now. In the addons section I tried the Services section (I see "Grab Fanart", "Library Data Provider", "MediaBrowser", "Skin Widgets" and "Version Check"). Also nothing in the Programs sections.

-Jason

saitoh183

Since which version?

im85288

Since which version?

It's been integrated into the Main addon since version 0.9.733 and removed as a dependancy from my skin since version 3.0.91. I am pretty sure it has now been removed as a dependancy from the Titan skin but marcel can validate that.

Either way the helper service is no longer needed and should be deleted as it carries out the same functions we now have in the main addon.

saitoh183

It's been integrated into the Main addon since version 0.9.733 and removed as a dependancy from my skin since version 3.0.91. I am pretty sure it has now been removed as a dependancy from the Titan skin but marcel can validate that.

Either way the helper service is no longer needed and should be deleted as it carries out the same functions we now have in the main addon.

@@marcelveldt

Can you validate above? What about the "Titan Mediabrowser Helper Script (Beta)"?

@@im85288

We are talking about the "Mediabrowser Skin Helper Service"? I have 0.0.12 & Mediabrowser 0.9.735 installed...so i should remove it? 

im85288

@@marcelveldt

Can you validate above? What about the "Titan Mediabrowser Helper Script (Beta)"?

@@im85288

We are talking about the "Mediabrowser Skin Helper Service"? I have 0.0.12 & Mediabrowser 0.9.735 installed...so i should remove it?

Yes, it should be deleted/removed

xnappo

I know this is a major pain, but can you go through and selectively disable the AddOn services (these are in the settings).  You need to restart each time for it to take affect.

Could it just be the massive amount of artwork in these skins?

xnappo

saitoh183

I don't have that service to delete. Any other ideas as to what may be happening?

How about your MBS memory usage?

jasonmcroy

I know this is a major pain, but can you go through and selectively disable the AddOn services (these are in the settings). You need to restart each time for it to take affect.

xnappo

Yes, I can try that later tonight.

jasonmcroy

How about your MBS memory usage?

MBS by itself only uses between 68 and can sometimes go up as high as 150 depending on what it's doing in the background. It has never been a problem.

im85288

I did take a look at the log you provided but it does not show anything noticeable. It's not something I have experienced so find it difficult to analyse really, I honestly wouldn't know what it was previously and experience no playback issues at all.

My memory usage is as below so quite a lot free, but all in all about 500mb for the whole OpenElec OS and Kodi etc.

HbJAYPD.png

I guess the best thing is to do as xnappo suggested to see if disabling any service helps, other than that unless you can capture it in the logs it's going to be tricky. There's been various little issues with the Dev server recently (at least for me quite a lot of crashes) so I'm not sure if that's anything to do with playback problems.

jasonmcroy

Well, I had some time I didn't expect to have today so I tried your recommendations. Still getting the same thing. The odd thing is that even with the amount of memory it's using, I am only at about 60% of my overall memory being used and I still get the buffering issue I mentioned before. Removing all of the services didn't change anything.

The only thing that changes the memory usage is changing the skin back to Confluence and then opening the addon directly. It works fine then and memory usage only goes up to about 100mb for Kodi.

I am going to mess around with a few other ideas and see if anything changes. Otherwise, if there is anything else I should try, let me know. If not, maybe the next update to server and/or addon may just make it go away.

-Jason

marcelveldt

@@marcelveldt

@@im85288

If you're running the beta version of the addon you can remove the MediaBrowser skin helper service as it is no longer needed.

The skinhelper service is now merged with the main addon

marcelveldt

I know this is a major pain, but can you go through and selectively disable the AddOn services (these are in the settings).  You need to restart each time for it to take affect.

xnappo

I'm thinking the same thing. 500MB is not that much if a very big movie collection is loaded....

I don't know if XBMC caches all artwork in memory ?

The MB3 adjusted skins adapt lot's of the fanart from the MB3 addon so I wouldn't be wondered this just costs a few MB's.

I don't have a really big movie collection so I don't notice any memory usage (about 200MB).

Is the cause for the buffering not just something else ?

saitoh183

If you're running the beta version of the addon you can remove the MediaBrowser skin helper service as it is no longer needed.

The skinhelper service is now merged with the main addon

@@marcelveldt

What about Titan Mediabrowser Helper Script (Beta)?

marcelveldt

@@marcelveldt

What about Titan Mediabrowser Helper Script (Beta)?

No, you can't remove that because it's needed for the skin. But no worries it isn't a service so nothing running on the background.

saitoh183

No, you can't remove that because it's needed for the skin. But no worries it isn't a service so nothing running on the background.

oki doki :)