Inconsistent streaming of Live TV from Chromecast

twos50

It seems to work a little better.  Some channels would stream quicker than others.  I mean like a 1 - 2 min difference.   Some channels would stream without problems and others exhibit the behavior of my original description.   Here are the logs can you take a look??

twos50ServerWMC 121714 (3).txt

Edited by twos50

krustyreturns

Well the good news is that the log shows you have dlna streaming working now with your hdhr prime.  The bad news its still performing terribly with cromecast, 1 to 2 minutes is insanely long.  Swmc says everything is working fine, if you search for openlivestream in the log you can see that its handing back the address immediately (.05s).  What is burning the other minute or two before the stream starts I don't know.

I noticed that it seems like the stream is transcoding.   My trancoding folder is steady filling up as I stream live tv. I was under the impression that trancoding would not take place.  I looked in the log and it has transcoding set to false.  Is this correct??

with hd homerun dlna MBS gets it directly from the tv tuner, but then it still has to transcode to convert to a format that is supported by the client application.

it is still a big advantage because without the dlna feature it goes through wmc, so first the stream gets converted to wmc's wtv format, then is processed again by MBS. As you can probably guess that is significantly more complicated and not nearly as reliable.

So if it looks like the HDhomerun tuner is streaming via DLNA and the SWMC logs look good then that leaves the server.  

@@Luke. I will lower the bandwidth consumption for the chromecast and the chrome browser (make them both 480p) and will post the server and transcoding logs.  Could you take a look again??  Thanks much.

@ Krusty.  Can you send me that beta version of serverwmc that you mentioned before??   Also can you tell me how it may resolve my issue.

Thanks

krustyreturns

@@twos50 what beta version are you referring to?  As to resolving your chromecast issue, I am out of ideas; running in dlna mode swmc really isn't doing anything except giving mbs the url of the tuner to use for live-tv.  So I really have no idea why chromecast is working poorly.

Thanks Krusty. The dlna url makes a world of difference, to the point where the old way feels a little legacy now and is much more difficult to work with.

I can take it from here, but he hasn't posted any useful information yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the late response.   Krusty, you mentioned earlier in the post about a "pre-release" .  

I was thinking that maybe the "pre-release"  you mentioned would resolve the issue of swmc using the ceton tuner instead of the hdhomerun tuner if I have both types of tuners active on the network.   

And the "pre-release" would in fact keep me from having to:

"I suggest picking a channel to test with and opening wmc and looking at the sources for that channel.  In wmc see:

Settings>TV>Guide>'Edit Channels'  then select the test channel and then choose 'Edit Sources'

Look at the sources for the channel and put the hdhr sources at the bottom of the list, then save the channel.  Then start swmc and start a live stream on that channel with MBS.  It should be doing dlna streaming."

krustyreturns

Sorry for the late reply, I am already in the habit of only checking the swmc subforum.  I don't have this added to swmc yet, but will look into putting it in the next rev.  When I have it implemented I'll pm you with a test build.

This might be dumb but have you checked to see what speed your Chromecast is actually pulling? I assumed mine was good because my other devices work great but that wasn't the case. There's a handy Ap called Speed4cast that will test the network speed of the Chromecast... It's pretty slick.

Edited by Bert