Inconsistent streaming of Live TV from Chromecast

twos50

when I try to cast from my laptop chrome browser the video stops and starts every intermittently between 5 secs- 3 mins. Is streaming live tv fully supported??  has anyone else had this behavior? 

Attached are the log files from the Severwmc and MB3 casting session.

Edited by twos50

For one i would turn off debug transcoding logging unless you need it. second, what we're trying to do here with your live tv setup is unfortunately a really difficult thing to do. there are multiple processes touching the live tv stream along the way which can make it difficult to track down these issues. if you want more reliable live tv transcoding you should consider an hd homerun model that supports Dlna output. If you have that we skip over server wmc and go straight to the tuner hardware which offers much better performance and reliability. If you don't have that, then it's not going to be as reliable.

I have a ceton tuner and a HDhomerun.  Both tuners show up in ServerWMC.  But I thought the Live TV portion of MB3 would only stream from the HDhomerun tuner.  If this is not the case, do you know how I can configure the ServerWMC and/or MB3 server to recognize only the HDhomerun tuner.

Edited by twos50

I did check the SeverWMC and the HDhomerun tuner was the active stream.  I checked the logs and did a search through both of them from above and did not see "ceton" or "Hdhome".  Is there an indication in the logs that I provided that indicated which tuner was being used???  I will remove the ceton from the network to see if that would improve the Live TV casting performance.

Edited by twos50

krustyreturns

In the following, I am assuming you have the same channels on both the hdhr and the ceton.  These mixed tuner cases are more complicated where dlna is concerned.  Live tv will stream from all of the tuners that are configured in serverwmc, if the tuner does dlna, like your prime, it will use dlna, but if it chooses the ceton tuner it won't.  When you select a channel, swmc searches through all the tuners, and will stream on the first non-busy tuner it finds.  By default swmc searches through the tuners in the opposite order to the source order defined in wmc for the channel sources (why we use the opposite order is a long story, but that can be changed in the swmc config if you want)

So if you are with me so far, for a test, I suggest picking a channel to test with and opening wmc and looking at the sources for that channel.  In wmc see:

Settings>TV>Guide>'Edit Channels'  then select the test channel and then choose 'Edit Sources'

Look at the sources for the channel and put the hdhr sources at the bottom of the list, then save the channel.  Then start swmc and start a live stream on that channel with MBS.  It should be doing dlna streaming.  If its not, send me the swmc log (see debug tab) after the test.

I think I follow.  I will try when I get home.  

Question@krusty:

Are your instructions a 1 time setup??  Or will I have to repeat those steps for every channel I want to view in MB3???

krustyreturns

Lets see if that's the problem first.  If it turns out dlna solves your chromecast problem, I will think about the best way to handle it going forward.  It will probably involve me giving you a pre-release build of swmc to test if your willing.

ok. i was going to remove the ceton tuner from the network.  Then try to chromecast. If that was acceptable, then I'm gonna try your instructions.  I will report back with results and logs.

Edited by twos50

Correct.  But I don't intend on not using it.  I'm just trying to figure out and isolate the issue.  If it is in fact because of the ceton tuner, then your instructions and/or possible pre-release build will hopefully resolve the issue.  If it's not the tuner, then back to the drawing board. lol..

I didn't get a chance to try it out yet.  But I will report back in a day or so.

Edited by twos50

I got the same result when I removed the ceton tuner from the network.  Do you think because I have the "Tempswmc" folder on a "slower" drive than the mediabrowser transcoding drive will cause the issue??

Here is the requested log from my latest try.

twos50ServerWMC 121714.txt

krustyreturns

No something is wrong, dlna is not getting enabled. If you look toward the top of the log where it discovers the tuner info it says dlna:false.  Also if dlna is working the tempswmc folder isn't even used.

The way we determine if the tuner is dlna capable is to request the line up from your tuner and see if the channels have a URL element. So to test it, open a web browser and enter:
http://192.168.0.198/lineup.xml

See if the each channel has a URL element;

Edited by krustyreturns

I just downloaded and upgraded the hdhomerun software and firmware but get the same screenshot when I try the test.

Edited by twos50

Ok I finally got to the page you were referring to mine webpage ended in html not xml.  I do see channels after I did a "Detect Chnnels".  Here is screen shot.  I will try again and look for the DLNA enabled.  If it doesn't detect again I will report.

krustyreturns

That's not the page I am referring to, it really should be the xml page.  I think for some reason dlna mode is not enabled on your prime.  I don't know whether its possible that older primes don't support dlna mode, how old is your prime?