Import playlists

hedgehogg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
The next release of Emby Server will support importing playlists of the following formats:

• m3u

• pls

• wpl

• zpl

Enjoy.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
webpostkastl

this is such good news, thanks! any idea when this new version will be available for the Synology NAS package? I can't wait to fully switch to Emby, but importing playlists is such an essential functionality for me (as long as there are no smart playlists)

• 1 year later...
EbbandFlow

How can you get Emby to recognize the .m3u playlists?  I exported them all individually from iTunes and placed into a separate folder on my Emby-hosted audio drive.  When it does the next full scan of the library, will it then recognize all of the .m3y playlists?  (Yes, they point to the exact same file structure between iTunes and emby as I work on porting over, slowly....)

EbbandFlow

How can you get Emby to recognize the .m3u playlists?  I exported them all individually from iTunes and placed into a separate folder on my Emby-hosted audio drive.  When it does the next full scan of the library, will it then recognize all of the .m3y playlists?  (Yes, they point to the exact same file structure between iTunes and emby as I work on porting over, slowly....)

UPDATE: After a full library scan, they do all appear now in Emby - yay!  

However....  they all have 0 songs contained within  :( 

Please advise...

Here's a sample from the .M3U:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:50,Beacon-TTvox1 - Next Planet
/Volumes/Music/N/Next Planet/TT vox/Beacon-TTvox1.mp3
#EXTINF:40,Beacon-TTvox2 - Next Planet
/Volumes/Music/N/Next Planet/TT vox/Beacon-TTvox2.mp3
#EXTINF:30,Beacon-TTvox3 - Next Planet
/Volumes/Music/N/Next Planet/TT vox/Beacon-TTvox3.mp3
#EXTINF:72,Resist-TTvox - Next Planet
/Volumes/Music/N/Next Planet/TT vox/Resist-TTvox.mp3
#EXTINF:146,Chicky (Duttge vox) - Fischer's Flicker
/Volumes/Music/F/Fischer's Flicker/Rehearsals/2018/20180403 Rehearsal/Chicky (Duttge vox).mp3
#EXTINF:84,Chicky (Duttge vox)-2 - Fischer's Flicker
/Volumes/Music/F/Fischer's Flicker/Rehearsals/2018/20180403 Rehearsal/Chicky (Duttge vox)-2.mp3
#EXTINF:141,Chicky (Rick vox) - Fischer's Flicker
/Volumes/Music/F/Fischer's Flicker/Rehearsals/2018/20180403 Rehearsal/Chicky (Rick vox).mp3

I'm guessing there may be an issue with the '/Volumes/' portion of the location.

Also, I'm noticing that none of my "Rehearsals" albums are available in Emby under Fischer's Flicker.  I'd really like them there and I'm confused as to why they wouldn't be listed in the library now.

Edited by EbbandFlow

Are the media files within the playlists added to Emby Server using the exact same file paths? The tracks in the playlist need to be part of your Emby library in order for them to show up.

• 8 months later...
3 minutes ago, keemy said:

Can this feature be expanded to include plain text files?

-txt

Hi, just curious, but why? What is the convention inside the files? What software uses txt playlist files?

In my experience whenever I've imported files to another application from itunes plain text has worked best. For example for getting my playlists into spotify without manually creating them again I first export them as plain text then use a 3rd party application to then transfer to spotify. I've used m3u before but I've run into issues such as spotify not importing all the songs in the playlist. I rarely ever had issues exporting them as plaintext.

I haven't set up a music library yet but since itunes made the change to music and changed the file structure I doubt emby will be able to generate my playlists without me exporting them manually that's why I asked.

• 3 months later...
yaksplat

I found a script at iTunes | Scripts for iTunes for Windows (samsoft.org.uk) that will export a selected playlist from iTunes .  I modified it to handle the possibility of iTunes and Emby being in different locations and replacing paths within the m3u file.  You can update lines 97 -99 to make it work for your setup.

OriginalPath ="U:\" 'original path in the m3u file to the location of each song
NewPath = "..\" 'updated path that emby uses
Output="U:\playlists" 'destination of the script should be a folder in your music library that gets scanned

Have iTunes open, select the playlist and run the vbs script.  It will create and place the playlist in the music library.  Upon the next scan, the playlist will show up in your library.  Not the best option, but better than doing it all manually.  This will overwrite existing m3u files, so if you update the playlist in iTunes, just rerun the script.

ExportPlaylist.vbs

• 2 years later...
Simonrwhitehouse

I have not been able to get Emby to recognise M3U files.

Also when I manually create a playlist in Emby it creates XML files

Has Emby changed its' treatment of playlists in the last couple of years?

Sorry for dumb questions...