MBS service and/or app won't work on PC startup?

Radical924

Radical924

Hey there so I decided I would get Media Browser not too long ago and so far it has been great when I can get WMC to work. The problem I am having right now seems simple to fix but so far it has resulted in me wasting over 3 or 4 hours to try and get the server to start on PC startup w/o logging in. Apparently this is difficult to accomplish and I really cannot understand why. I have disabled the startup on the dashboard and I don't have any startup tasks in task scheduler for the application or service turned on so I am stumped.

Currently I have the service set to Automatic and I also tried Automatic (delayed start). Logon is set up as this account which has administrator priveleges and I also tried Local System Account. I also have recovery setup to restart the service each time it cannot start but that does nothing. I even added some dependencies to the service: Media Center Extender Service[Mcx2Svc], Network List Service[netprofm], and the default Server[LanmanServer} service.

Some other things I tried were creating a task in task scheduler to run the actual application. I also tried running a bat/cmd file with the lines START "" "C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe" I also tried running the script in gpedit.msc under Local Computer Policy > Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown) > Startup . I attempted to save it as a BAT file and a CMD file but both do nothing.

Maybe I need to add more dependencies (if so what?) ?

Anyways as you can tell I have exhausted google searching and forum searching so any help would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Xzener

I had issues months ago... Cant seem to find the thread, but here is a script I created to delay the start of MBS on my server to wait for my netwrok to be available.

@echo off

ping 192.0.2.2 -n 1 -w 10000 > nul

start C:\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe

exit

I named it "Server" and the extension is a .bat file. I put it in the startup folder. As the machine starts up, it waits 10sec before starting the MBS executable. I set the bios on the mobo to restart after a power hit, or BSOD (like that never happens right?)... MBS "Run server at startup" is unchecked.

Hope this might help. Good luck.

Edited by Xzener

Radical924

@echo off

ping 192.0.2.2 -n 1 -w 10000 > nul

start C:\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe

exit

Is the 192.0.2.2 the local ip of my router (the one you type in to get into the settings)? and thanks you I hope this works when I get it setup!

Edited by Radical924

Radical924

Well I decided to try this anyways and it doesn't work... I tried creating a task scheduler task that runs the script on startup I also tried placing the shortcut in the Startup Windows folder and nothing... Is there something I am doing wrong? I shouldn't need to login for it to work... This is the script:

@echo off

ping 192.168.0.1 -n 1 -w 10000 > nul

start "C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe"

exit

If someone has another idea or knows for sure how to get this to work please post below thanks!

• Like 1

To run the actual application you have to log someone in because that's the only way applications run.

The service, however, can be run without logging in - but you need to configure it to have proper credentials to use and you need to be sure it doesn't start before other items are ready.

Xzener

I went through the same gripe... I wanted the server to magically start without having to log in. My fix? Have the PC startup, right to desktop, throw the script (if it will launch MBS after double clicking it) in the startup folder and let the desktop lock the PC requiring a password after like 5min. MBS starts every time for me... The PC is locked out shortly after.

By the way, that IP address has nothing to do with my setup. All I know is when my PC starts or logs in after being logged off, a command prompt popup comes up... 10 seconds later, MBS launches, 5 minutes after that, the PC locks.

Edited by Xzener

Radical924

To run the actual application you have to log someone in because that's the only way applications run.

The service, however, can be run without logging in - but you need to configure it to have proper credentials to use and you need to be sure it doesn't start before other items are ready.

@@ebr Okay is there a specific list of dependencies I should be aware of when starting the MBS service? As you can tell in my initial post I tried delaying the start of the MBS service AND I tried adding some dependencies. Maybe there is a way I can use a BAT file to start the service and not the program when the connection is ready... Any idea if that would even work? Thanks again.

-

-

-

I went through the same gripe... I wanted the server to magically start without having to log in. My fix? Have the PC startup, right to desktop, throw the script (if it will launch MBS after double clicking it) in the startup folder and let the desktop lock the PC requiring a password after like 5min. MBS starts every time for me... The PC is locked out shortly after.

By the way, that IP address has nothing to do with my setup. All I know is when my PC starts or logs in after being logged off, a command prompt popup comes up... 10 seconds later, MBS launches, 5 minutes after that, the PC locks.

@@Xzener as much as I'd like to just have it so I login and then logout after 5 min. I have 2 other user accounts on the same computer and I prefer it to go to the login screen not straight into my account... Thanks though anyways for the suggestion!

Edited by Radical924

I'm not sure if you can make a batch file run without someone logged in but, if you can, then use "net start mediabrowserservice".

I think most people using the service have it working with Automatic (delayed start) but, honestly, only a small percentage of our installs are using the service.

FrostByte

Is the account you use to start the service with a local account with the right to log on as a service?  You can set this using secpol.msc  under Local Rights...User Rights Assignment

Logging on as a service works good for me and I much prefer it because no one has to be logged on.  I do not delay the start of the service on my system.  Some people choose to delay the service because their files are on another system/NAS and they want to wake that system first so the MB startup scan doesn't show all their files to be offline.  It is not required though.  Also, no dependencies are required on the service either.

Additionally, if you have your files on a NAS separate from MB then the account you start the service with also has to be a valid account/password on the NAS with permissions to your media folders/files there

Edited by FrostByte

Radical924

Is the account you use to start the service with a local account with the right to log on as a service?  You can set this using secpol.msc  under Local Rights...User Rights Assignment

Logging on as a service works good for me and I much prefer it because no one has to be logged on.  I do not delay the start of the service on my system.  Some people choose to delay the service because their files are on another system/NAS and they want to wake that system first so the MB startup scan doesn't show all their files to be offline.  It is not required though.  Also, no dependencies are required on the service either.

Additionally, if you have your files on a NAS separate from MB then the account you start the service with also has to be a valid account/password on the NAS with permissions to your media folders/files there

@@FrostByte The account I am using is my user account that I login with (has admin priveleges) and it does have the rights to logon as a service as found in gpedit.msc. Is there possibly a system account I can login with that will work? or does it need to be one of the computers user accounts? Also nope my files are on an external HDD hooked up to my PC. I wonder what is causing it not to work...Thnaks for replying!

Edited by Radical924

Happy2Play

Have you tried this?

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/804-unable-to-access-media-when-running-server-as-a-service/

why does Media Browser need a user accounts login info when other media server like Tversity don't?

There quick start guide states the same this as the post referenced.

Edited by Happy2Play

Radical924

Have you tried this?

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/804-unable-to-access-media-when-running-server-as-a-service/

Yeah I have it setup like that unfortunately. That is what we were discussing above.

Edited by Radical924

Radical924
why does Media Browser need a user accounts login info when other media server like Tversity don't?

Also with TVersity it uses Local System Account in services... enough of that though my problem isn't with that it is with MBS service so I am going to try changing it back to Local System Account and it see what happens... seems odd it works for everyone else as a service on startup but won't work for me even with automatic (delay).

Edited by Radical924

FrostByte

The default system account used for starting services worked just fine for me until I tried adding some files from a NAS one day and the account which started the service on the MBS computer needed access to my NAS.  That's really the only reason I changed the service to start with my local admin account and added logon as a service to it.  Otherwise it worked just fine with the default system account to start services.

Radical924

The default system account used for starting services worked just fine for me until I tried adding some files from a NAS one day and the account which started the service on the MBS computer needed access to my NAS.  That's really the only reason I changed the service to start with my local admin account and added logon as a service to it.  Otherwise it worked just fine with the default system account to start services.

I don't know why mine is having such trouble then because I have it setup the exact same way and nothing... Idk maybe I should try reinstalling the program tomorrow or something.

Radical924

Yeah I never could get it to work... Idk what is wrong with the service on my computer... If someone sees this post please respond whenever you can and I'll take a look because for now I guess I'll have to leave this issue unresolved until someone finds a solution that works for me. Still a great program though. Have a great day.

• 3 weeks later...
LurchZA

I had a problem with mine where the service used to run on startup and then after a power failure and the machine came back up it refused to run despite everything being set.

Eventually this morning I uninstalled MB, removed all the configurations and everything - re-installed from scratch and then it started working again.

• 4 months later...
lifespeed

. . . and you need to be sure it doesn't start before other items are ready.

How does one do this?