iTunes - Insert Meta Data into MP4 Files

mriksman

mriksman

One thing I still need meta<browser> for, and that's to embed the artwork images and meta data, and set 'Movie' or 'TV Show' type etc. into the MP4 files.

I would lose my $hit if someone could write a plugin that did this in Media Browser! Mainly because I'm tired of my missus calling me asking how to 'make it look pretty on the iPad'.

Thanks.

Beardyname

One thing I still need meta<browser> for, and that's to embed the artwork images and meta data, and set 'Movie' or 'TV Show' type etc. into the MP4 files.

I would lose my $hit if someone could write a plugin that did this in Media Browser! Mainly because I'm tired of my missus calling me asking how to 'make it look pretty on the iPad'.

Thanks.

Is she not using the MB-app for the Ipad? can't believe you have to insert stuff into the movie container for that app.

I would make sure that this does not apply to file extensions m4v that might already have meta data populated via the iTunes store. However agree this would be nice for raw .mp4 conversions.

I am not sure why MBS would not be populating that and showing on the iPad unless you are trying to transfer or use the mp4 on the iPad via iTunes or something for local streaming in place of remote streaming via a MBC. I know for my own m4v's MBS images and data are displayed in the Media Browser Clients and when I look at my m4v's in iTunes the embedded data is shown.

Edited by mbnwa

mriksman

The MBS client app works fine! It's the iTunes Video App we both use when we go travelling.

All the metadata and artwork is downloaded by MB and placed in the folder. We then use meta<browser> to insert that metadata into the MP4 file, and then add these files to iTunes. We then synch to our iPad Videos App.

That 'iTunes Saver Plugin' in meta<browser> would be great to have on MB aspart of its own metadata retrieval - just an extra step to embed into the mo4 files.

How about instead we make it possible for the iOS MB app to sync your items and take them with you...

That would be nice - however any requests for an update on iOS development have fallen into a blackhole - The app is severely outdated to the point that it crashes when trying to play select movies while the web browser works as expected at least for movies. I think that allowing people to download content should be a selectable feature on the MBS as I may not want my kid just downloading movies to her iPad and filling up space, she's 9 and does not understand space management. 

mriksman

Yeah not a bad idea, but would still like the metadata embedded for iTunes. I use the MP4 files at work (work abroad) with an Apple TV and it's nice to have it in there.

I'd hazard a guess and say it'd be easier than coding synching in MB on the iOS?

Yeah not a bad idea, but would still like the metadata embedded for iTunes. I use the MP4 files at work (work abroad) with an Apple TV and it's nice to have it in there.

I'd hazard a guess and say it'd be easier than coding synching in MB on the iOS?

I think @@ebr suggested the syncing idea because it's already being worked on and planned out if I remember correctly. However the iOS app was last updated March 25th 2014 (iPhone) and August 24th 2014 (iPad) and no updates to this date and a ton have changed on the server front. I am not sure that with the pace the developers want to release new features that we would see a timely implementation on the iOS clients.

Edited by mbnwa

• 10 months later...
AndyBak

Big bump, but did anything ever come from this? Would also love a simple method to insert metadata into the mp4 files and then inject into iTunes.