Video Play Choppy

simpsons11
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

simpsons11

I just used my old HTPC as a dedicated server and installed Media Browser on it. Its an AMD E-350 CPU. When I was using it as my HTPC I had both the client and server on it and video played perfect. Last night when I put server on it, and streamed it to my new HTPC (Intel NUC) it had problems playing the video and audio wasn't being shown as DTS or DD through my receiver. I've done some reading and would appreciate some feedback if this will help solve my problem or if my E-350 just isn't powerful enough. I'm fairly new to the whole server world and debating about putting freenas on.

- Does the server need to have the splitter on it or does my client? I've always used haali splitter as it has just worked. When streaming it doesn't appear the splitter is doing anything which doesn't make sense since I've never been able to play MKV without.  From reading people recommend LAV which I may switch to. I'm just confused which computer needs the splitter and why it would be choppy playback. 

-Is the reason the splittler doesn't seem to do anything because UNC paths are not done? I've shared my files but didn't set it the way mediabrowser has shown to with UNC paths. I was reading this means transocding could be taking place causing the issue?

Specs are:

Asus amd e35m1-m pro (E350 CPU)

4GB RAM 

750GB WD blue drive as the OS (Windows 7).

Client is:

Intel NUC D3401WYKH1

8GB RAM

125GB Crucial 500

Edited by simpsons11

• Solution

You didn't say which client you are using but if it is MBC or MBT then more than likely the problem is the fact that you didn't set the library up with UNC paths or setup path substitution.  Therefore, the clients cannot access the media and are forced to stream it through the server.

• Like 1

simpsons11

You didn't say which client you are using but if it is MBC or MBT then more than likely the problem is the fact that you didn't set the library up with UNC paths or setup path substitution.  Therefore, the clients cannot access the media and are forced to stream it through the server.

I apologize it is MBC. Thank you for confirming this for me. I was looking for a way for the stream to go through server and wanted to confirm it was the UNC! I'll set this up and report back for any future issues others may have. I've been gone from Media Browser scene for awhile and love the changes! Will have to send out some donations for the amazing product!

simpsons11

Ebr, that fixed the problem! Thank you for the help! I have one last question:

Do I need to have splitters on my server for any transcoding I do want it to do such as to my Roku or smartphone? It seems to work (although not very well due to my low specs) and didn't know if a splitter would do anything to make it more efficient. 

jayTcold

I totally forgot about using UNC's in MBS. I must have changed my settings a few days ago and not realized it? Not sure...anyways...

I've been banging my head against the wall (not literally) all week troubleshooting as to why content looked all pixelated and choppy when streaming from MBS to MBC. 

Figuring that a disk or two in my drive pool where hosed, I was just about to rebuild my media server from scratch, swapping in two fresh drives for one's I thought where jacked up.

I figured what the heck, I'll check the forums again. So, thx to simpsons11 for asking the question and thx to ebr for the advice, I'm good to go - my content looks fresh and clean again!!

Time to make a donation  :)