FR: Trailer plugin - Download trailers

steve1977

steve1977

I understand that MBS is supposed to allow trailer download for local movies. This does not work for me and is dealt with in a separate thread as bug fix.

This thread is about downloading trailers of movies that I do not have. In other words. all trailers that show up under Media-Collection trailers. Would it be possible to download them rather than offering to stream and also delete trailer is they exceed a certain age?

Thoughts?

• Like 12

sfnetwork

If you're saying that you want the existing trailers plugin to allow/download local copies of the "upcoming movies" trailers , I agree. +1

We basically would need an extra option : "Enable local trailer download for upcoming movies" with the choice of video quality (480/720/1080). 

The "Max trailer age" setting would apply to delete old local trailers.

2013-10-26%209-45-49%20AM.jpg

So all that just to say: +1  :P

• Like 5

DGMayor

The plugin originally downloaded them in MB2, and even when MB3 first started the beta, but was switched to streaming.  I understand Luke's position on "streaming is the future", and I personally love the switch to streaming, however not everyone has the 50mb/s connection that I do, and fully understand why this keeps coming up.

I really don't see why the option to download shouldn't be put back in, but I'm sure it could complicate the way the plugin works, so that may be the hesitation.

• Like 1

sfnetwork

The plugin originally downloaded them in MB2, and even when MB3 first started the beta, but was switched to streaming.  I understand Luke's position on "streaming is the future", and I personally love the switch to streaming, however not everyone has the 50mb/s connection that I do, and fully understand why this keeps coming up.

I really don't see why the option to download shouldn't be put back in, but I'm sure it could complicate the way the plugin works, so that may be the hesitation.

The only issue I see (where a little work would have to be done beside just enabling it) is the file naming and auto delete based on the max age.

it's just hard for me to make time for configuration settings. as long as i'm developing this plugin, that's unlikely to change. what i think is needed is for someone else to take it over and go nuts with it, adding more settings, download sources, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
icedragonslair

Yes, I am assuming that many of us have a lot of space on our servers to allow this option, and it would certainly make the trailer plugin as well as MBT (when available) much more appealing.

+1 Here

Edited by icedragonslair
  • Like 1

steve1977

This would need to be an option that allow either way. This threads and "likes" show that there are many in the same situation like me where streaming just does not work well and manual download is the preferred way.

Luke has his hands full with other things, so hope some other developer may pick it up.

johnchimpo

My only issue with adding a download option is that it seems unnecessary for most uses. How many times are you going to watch a single trailer (the benefit of downloading vs streaming to save bandwidth)? And how often are trailers going to go completely unwatched? I know that if I store 60 days of trailers (which is sometimes near 100 trailers) I won't get around to watching more than a few dozen. If I had downloaded all of those, then that would have been a big waste of data transfer (more and more ISPs are putting data caps in place). Where downloading would be beneficial is if the plugin could thereafter move the trailer to the movie folder once the movie is in a collection, but that is probably more work than necessary.

+1 as well here.

Fully understand Luke matters here, so we hope some dev's step in and help Luke in this.

• Like 1

johnchimpo

This would need to be an option that allow either way. This threads and "likes" show that there are many in the same situation like me where streaming just does not work well and manual download is the preferred way.

Luke has his hands full with other things, so hope some other developer may pick it up.

Fair enough, just wanted to play devils advocate as to the priority of something like this.

Hi I just updated my software from version 2 to version 3 last night and am it up setting now. I just want to make sure i'm right in that at present the only trailers you can put on this at the moment is off shows/movies i have already on my pc/server as I am interested more so in trailers for coming soon movies instead. Thanks... 

Edited by cmcv

swhitmore

Hi I just updated my software from version 2 to version 3 last night and am it up setting now. I just want to make sure i'm right in that at present the only trailers you can put on this at the moment is off shows/movies i have already on my pc/server as I am interested more so in trailers for coming soon movies instead. Thanks... 

The trailers plugin will automatically let you stream trailers for upcoming movies.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the download option. Us Aussies have terrible internet. I don't have the speed to stream. Constantly buffering. Unwatchable. I do however have plenty of storage and the patience to let them download.

• Like 1

The old trailers plugin for MBC2 had the ability to download which was fantastic for us with crappy download speeds.. I just would not bother with them until the buffer icon in the bottom corner of movie cover was gone.

• 2 weeks later...
Mopar_Mudder

Same here, need download. Seems more and more us people in rural area are second class and people assume everyone has supper fast internet. Well waiting 20 minutes for a preview to download before you can watch your movie is pretty crappy. Please alow download of trailers, if this was implemented I could probably stop paying for a 3rd party meta scpraper.

Mopar_Mudder

in the meantime, have you guys tried the 480p setting?

I Haven't but that would not look to great on my 12' wide screen, but might be a work around. I am not kidding when I say that with my net connection even normal You Tube videos will stop part way through to buffer more data, it sucks.

Edited by Mopar_Mudder

• 3 weeks later...
Aussiedroid

This would be great to limit download usage, but also eliminate any buffering issues that I get on 720p or higher. With fibre connections rolling out to Australia currently speed might not be an issue in the future but right now it suffers.

Is there a way we can manually add a local trailer at the moment? Would it just be copying it to the movie folder or does it need a specific name/folder construct?

Not sure where/how this should work but I have a folder of a lot of trailers currently that I could match up to my movies if we cannot do it via MB3 yet.

Cheers!

swhitmore

Is there a way we can manually add a local trailer at the moment? Would it just be copying it to the movie folder or does it need a specific name/folder construct?

You used to be able to place it in a folder called "Trailers" in the Movie Titles folder. I believe that still works. Otherwise use the same naming convention as the trailer plugin i.e. movie-trailer.mkv

• Like 1

swhitmore

Found this in the guide:

New folders supported in MB3 include:

• Special features for movies -> 'specials' folder under a movie folder with videos in it
  • Theme videos supported by any item using 'backdrops' subfolder
  • Theme songs supported by any item using 'theme-music' subfolder
  • Trailers supported by season, series, boxset & game, using 'trailers' subfolder with videos in it
Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

Techy147

+1 for me. I would like to see downloadable trailers. I don't have memory issues and enjoy the good quality video. My internet is OK but not great; I would at least like to have the option of downloading or streaming.

• Like 1