Live TV

socalredneck

socalredneck

Hello,

I just got a new Samsung H6201 50" TV, and have MB app up and running on it.  I was using a Roku 2 on my old tv.  The only thing I noticed about the app for the Samsung is that it doesn't include the Live TV feature of MB.  Is that not an option for this app?  If it is an option, then I may not need my Roku for this new tv.

I don't have a cable provider, but use a HDHomeRun connected to an antenna and my local network, and use MB Live TV to view local tv channels.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Its not currently a supported feature and the dev has said previously it wasnt on his roadmap due to live TV being on the TV itself in most cases though admittedly not in your current setup.

You can use a workaround to watch recorded TV by creating a new library and pointing it at your recorded TV folder. I have set this up as 'Home Videos' and works fine. It will show under the folders tab on the samsung app. Not perfect and cant watch live tv but can watch recordings.

• Like 1

chessdragon136

The issue with implementing Live TV is the GUI interface - it is a lot more complex than the rest of the app and will take a lot of time to implement a guide, recording and what not - To display live TV could be done in a relatively short amount of time... (2/3 weeks)

socalredneck

Thank you both c0m3r & chessdragon136 for your feed back on this.  I can see how this feature isn't popular with a lot of people, but I hope it will be something you can consider for your roadmap.  I know most people have some form of cable connection to their tv's for viewing live tv.  But with more & more people looking for alternatives to cutting their cord due to the high cost of cable, this may be something people will want to use.

I'm not looking for the full features that MB offers (Suggested, Guide, Channels, Recordings, Scheduled, Series) in this app, but I would love to just have the Channels feature.  I can do everything else on my MB server, but right now not having this one feature in the app means I have to keep my Roku connected to my tv and switch from this app to the Roku app to view live tv.

I don't want this inquiry to sound like a complant, I was just asking.  I think the developers of this app and the MB software are the GREATEST for offering all their time & efforts for creating this great program.  I bought my tv with this app in mind, because I'm so pleased with this program.  Keep up the great work, I wish I could help (unless you need a guinea pig to try it out on).

socalredneck

Ok, I got a question about a possible work around, but before testing it, I wanted to see if it should work?

I use a Samsung 3 tablet as my remote control for my entertainment system.  I know the MB mobile apps don't have the Live TV feature yet, but if I use the web browser on my tablet to log into MB, go into the Live TV, start streaming the channel I want, can I then select the "Play to" and have it sent to my new Samsung TV?

Ok, I got a question about a possible work around, but before testing it, I wanted to see if it should work?

I use a Samsung 3 tablet as my remote control for my entertainment system.  I know the MB mobile apps don't have the Live TV feature yet, but if I use the web browser on my tablet to log into MB, go into the Live TV, start streaming the channel I want, can I then select the "Play to" and have it sent to my new Samsung TV?

In theory it would work that's how I used to do it from my iPhone to my Apple TV connected to my Samsung however now that Live TV has been broken for iOS devices for the last 8 or so months it's no longer an option.

I agree that recording, series, etc is not really needed at least in my case but just being able to select the channel and maybe guide would be nice so if remove I can stream my Comcast from my home to my RV when traveling.

Edited by mbnwa

I dont think its a case of not being popular, its just a lot of work and there are other things which are higher up the priority list. In time, anything is possible. Chessdragon has said before that alot of things are restricted by on screen space due to resolution limits. This has prevented the app from being even more graphical in nature. As things develop, its possible this will change and extra features can be implemented.

maybe i'm missing something, you're already watching it on a tv?

Yup your missing something - Live TV allows you to stream channels from another location so for example if you wanted to watch A&E remotely you could - When traveling you do not have access to your cable or satellite services so having "Live TV" support would allow you to stream any of your cable / satellite channels to that remove TV. In my case I travel for work and I take my RV with me to be able to stream my Comcast subscription to my Samsung in my RV would be awesome.

The following would really help me watch TV recordings that are imported as a library folder:

1) Ability to delete files

2) Specify jump back/forward increments and for them to be independent

3) Show files that can't be identified (like the Kodi addon does) otherwise a significant number of recordings won't be accessible

The following would really help me watch TV recordings that are imported as a library folder:

1) Ability to delete files

2) Specify jump back/forward increments and for them to be independent

3) Show files that can't be identified (like the Kodi addon does) otherwise a significant number of recordings won't be accessible

what's an example of #3?

socalredneck

maybe i'm missing something, you're already watching it on a tv?

I'm using a tv more like a monitor, then a tv.  I don't have a cable or antenna connection run to the tv, only the ethernet cable is run to the tv.  My antenna on the roof is only connected to my HDHomeRun tuner, which is then connected to my internal network.

Presently I use my Roku 2 with the tv, and the MB app (for Roku) to stream live tv.  But if the MB app (for Samsung) also had this feature, I could disconnect my Roku, and only use the Samsung app on my tv.

Clear as mud, hahaha.

• 1 month later...
socalredneck

I hate to keep bugging you guys, but any idea when this feature might be looked at being added?

Thank you!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Can I bump this request, I've been waiting to see if any response will be given but it seems to have gone quite.

For me having live tv on the samsung app will enable me to move my media center pc nearer to my router so I can connect using gigabit (I currently use power line adaptors which use 100Mbps protocol). This will enable better streaming to my various media browser phone and tv apps - my family currently has 3 androids and 3 samsung smart tv's.

Having the ability to record tv from the samsung tv's as has recently been introduced on the android app is the main requirement if the pc is not in the same room. Being able to watch live tv is less important as each tv has an aerial input although it may give some additional channels (especially if I can manage to integrate sky) so would be a nice option and other users may find it useful if they do not have a direct tv input as stated in previous posts.

Of course a fully integrated guide would be ideal but individual channel listings as on the android app would work fine.

I know the above is a lot of work for you developers and I really appreciate what has been achieved so far but for me this would enable me have what I would consider as a perfect set up.

I have tried using nextpvr which has live tv with guide which works okay but is nowhere near as slick as media browser and its no longer possible to install both media browser and nextpvr on the same tv. Using two different apps is a bit annoying anyway (I know the nextpvr developer has posted on this forum before, maybe the code for nextpvr could be adapted for mediabrowser?).

I would really appreciate if you could provide an idea as to whether this is a development that is possible/planned and what kind of time frame we'd be looking at.

Again, really appreciate the hard work, thanks.

mickeyfinn

Its not currently a supported feature and the dev has said previously it wasnt on his roadmap due to live TV being on the TV itself in most cases though admittedly not in your current setup.

You can use a workaround to watch recorded TV by creating a new library and pointing it at your recorded TV folder. I have set this up as 'Home Videos' and works fine. It will show under the folders tab on the samsung app. Not perfect and cant watch live tv but can watch recordings.

I would be happy enough to use this option, but I'm not able to view recorded TV this way.  When trying to playback the files, I get a file not supported error.  It usually results in crashing the app IIRC.  Perhaps because I am using WMC and .wtv files?  If I could get this to work, I'd consider having Live TV itself as not so critical.

Spaceboy

Again I would also add my support for this. I do not have my satellite sub available on my tv, only through wmc and mbs. I would gladly accept the basic MBT or even stretch to roku implementation, the full wmc isn't necessary

I also use WMC, all my wtv files work fine. I agree that watching live tv is not critical but its the ability to record tv directly from the app that I would find really useful.

• Like 1

Does anyone else have trouble fast forwarding the .wtv files?  I have no trouble with playback, but when I'm trying to skip forward it just sits there and does nothing.

• 5 months later...
jeflatt

With the new live tv for Emby update that is coming out, will this carry over into the Samsung app as well?

I too use my Samsung tv more as a monitor for my HTPC. I don't have cable/satellite, but have an OTA antenna that goes to a tuner in my computer. Then it acts like a large capacity DVR. I almost never watch live tv, just recordings. While going into the computer to set up recording schedules isn't terrible for series where you just set it and let it go, it's not ideal and will become annoying as I try to record one off shows (i.e. sporting events/specials).

jeflatt

So you want to remove the htpc from the TV?

I'm just trying to remove the PC interface from the HTPC. I still use the HTPC, but want a single user interface that doesn't involve a keyboard/mouse and is technologically-challenged wife friendly. The Samsung smart hub does all of that by letting me watch Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Emby server (I have ripped movies, ripped TV series, and TV previously recorded via WMC) all from the hub without having to get into the PC directly.