Identify movie from unclean movie folder names

steve1977

steve1977

MBS as of now requires a clean movie folder name to identify the movie - for example, Curse of Chucky (2013).

Would be great if MBS could also do so based on uncleaned folder names. For example - curse.of.chucky.2013.stv.unrated.multi.1080p.bluray.x264-rough. This is a feature comment with many media managers and would make a great feature to make MBS even better.

This feature resulted from this discussion (http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1199-movie-scan-not-identifying-movies/). I initially was under the impression that this was a bug rather than a feature request.

Thanks for looking into this!

steve1977

I also wouldn't mind an option to rename folder names to match movie title (ONLY as optional feature though). What I really want to avoid manual activities like renaming folder names. And actually I sometimes would even need to rename more than once as it may not identify the right movie even after manual work. Would be really to allow MBS to identify the movie in less-clean states.

steve1977

I am using Couchpotato, but never too happy with the renaming function. I may give it a shot. One other thing though is how I would be able to differentiate between bluray and HDDVD if the original movie name gets deleted?

steve1977

One more idea having played yet again a bit with the CP renamer function. I would still love to keep the source media (eg, bluray) and resolution (eg, 1080p) as part of the folder name. Is there any way that would allow this to be part in a more structured way that MBS can read the name despite the things in it? For example:

Curse of Chucky (2013) [bluray 1080p]

Currently, this formatting of a folder would not be supported. Any chance to see this in MBS? Could be done as easy as ignoring everything in [ ] or in ignoring everything after movie name (year)?

What do you think?

swhitmore

One other thing though is how I would be able to differentiate between bluray and HDDVD if the original movie name gets deleted?

Why would you need to?

Edited by swhitmore

swhitmore

One more idea having played yet again a bit with the CP renamer function. I would still love to keep the source media (eg, bluray) and resolution (eg, 1080p) as part of the folder name. Is there any way that would allow this to be part in a more structured way that MBS can read the name despite the things in it? For example:

Curse of Chucky (2013) [bluray 1080p]

Currently, this formatting of a folder would not be supported. Any chance to see this in MBS? Could be done as easy as ignoring everything in [ ] or in ignoring everything after movie name (year)?

What do you think?

MB3 Uses square brackets for tagging already. :)

steve1977

Why would I need to keep Bluray or 1080p in the folder name? The information about the source (bluray) would otherwise be lost as it will later be impossible for me to find out whether this was a bluray or hddvd source. 1080p could still be found out, but I like to see it directly in the folder name (personal preference).

Additional complication will be HSBS release, for which (yet again) I would like to add a comment in the folder name manually.

steve1977

MB3 Uses square brackets for tagging already. :)

What you mean? You saying that I could use [ ] in folder name and this would still allow MBC to identify the movie name?

swhitmore

Yup, MB3 uses square brackets to tag 3D videos and Boxsets, I'm not 100% sure, but I guess you could tag other stuff too. I'm still not 100% why you need to know if it's a HDDVD (I didn't know they still made those, lol) or Bluray.

Naming Guide - 3D

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

Luis is our resident regex guru, and I sent him a request to improve our expressions to be able to handle these kinds of names curse.of.chucky.2013.stv.unrated.multi.1080p.bluray.x264-rough

• 4 weeks later...
strugglez

I did a search on the forum to try and find this and thought I would post it in here. In regards to the '1080p" tag that shows up within media browser theater, if one of my movies isn't technically the true aspect ratio it labels the dimensions instead. I was hoping by labelling the folder that contained the movie with the  [bluray 1080p] format, I was thinking it would change it but it didn't seem to work for me.

My Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers is 1908x798. Is there a workaround to this that I am unaware of btw? 

Thanks in advance.

We don't read resolution from tags in the name.

We determine 1080 vs 720 based on width.  I believe 1900 or greater should equal 1080 but Luke can confirm.

strugglez

We don't read resolution from tags in the name.

We determine 1080 vs 720 based on width.  I believe 1900 or greater should equal 1080 but Luke can confirm.

I don't think that is the case, as my Two Tower rip, as I say is 1908.

strugglez

I don't mean to bump but I added photo's in the previous post. I didn't think you read from tags in the name for media type/dimensions but saw the above person mention it that he would like it in his folder names.

But so far I can't wrap my head around it.