Bitrate limit for direct play?

gbone8106

gbone8106

First let me say I love this app even at this stage it allows me to minimalize my setup. I have multiple 3D mkvs which are 1:1 copy's, most have fairly high bit rate. I have noticed that anything above 37Mbps will transcode, and anything below will direct play(full 3d auto switch also btw). I have a HU8550, and it can handle bitrates for MVC h264 up to 60mbps and normal h265 of 50mpbs. Does this app use DLNA? I tried adjusting the Samsung Smart TV profile as I see it has a limit set to 37500000 for h264; but it still transcodes in the app; however if I play the file from DLNA it plays direct. So I was wondering if there is something hardcoded in the app that limits the bitrate? is the app maybe using the system profile and not the custom one? or is there something I can adjust on my side so it doesn't transcode,I would like to avoid re-encoding to a lower bitrate if possible.

Any help I much appreciated , thank you.

chessdragon136

I have a HU8550, and it can handle bitrates for MVC h264 up to 60mbps and normal h265 of 50mpbs.

Where have you got that information from?

As for my app, it doesn't use DLNA but uses the same bitrate settings as they are the official max bitrate settings from Samsung. There is no way to alter these in the app and in truth i can't as your proposed bitrates wouldn't work on D series TV's.. My only alternative is to provide a manual override like you have done with altering the DLNA profile.. Possible but is a lot of work.. 

chessdragon136

Typical samsung - update their user manuals for tv's but not their developer documentation - Although is that for USB playback or network (yes they are different) 

gbone8106

Im guessing its for both, as it plays under DLNA (direct play); and I also have the 4k video pack that is USB connected and all the bitrates eclipse 40mbps. Yea if there is anything you can suggest, Im just not really digging re-encoding to a lower bit to play on a 4k tv.

Would it be possible to have a simple yes/no option to play everything direct then you could turn off transcoding completely if your tv can handle it?

• 2 weeks later...

Could you please consider being able to turn off all transcoding?  I have found that I can play my 3D MVC files with auto-switch to 3D via DLNA but not via the app since it transcodes.  I would rather play it in the app with resume and all the other benefits.

Edited by cncb

• 1 month later...
chessdragon136

Have you updated to the latest app - should add support for MVC playback without transcoding

If it doesn't - are you able to make a small movie file and upload it somewhere for me to test? I can then modify the profile to allow it to direct play 

Thanks

CBers

an "undefined, render type:0" error (F5900 BD player)

Interesting!

I got an "undefined, render type:7" error earlier today.

Probably totally unrelated.

Does the Samsung TV play m2ts files natively?

Edited by CBers

FrostByte

I put a ~400MB sample on my OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1DJ9cNv

When I try to play it in the MB app, I get an "undefined, render type:0" error (F5900 BD player).  Also, my VC1 titles get transcoded for some reason. Thanks.

What type of file did you add it as (tv, movie) in MB?  I'll try it on my tv tonight.

Does the Samsung TV play m2ts files natively?

It is a blu-ray player but yes, it does play m2ts natively.

What type of file did you add it as (tv, movie) in MB?  I'll try it on my tv tonight.

It is a movie sample, but it shouldn't matter.

just because it's a bluray player doesn't mean it will stream individual m2ts files. i think there's a decent chance samsung hasn't tested that at all.

Happy2Play

I put a ~400MB sample on my OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1DJ9cNv

When I try to play it in the MB app, I get an "undefined, render type:0" error (F5900 BD player).  Also, my VC1 titles get transcoded for some reason. Thanks.

Isn't the BD Player using the servers DLNA profile and not the Samsung TV app?

just because it's a bluray player doesn't mean it will stream individual m2ts files. i think there's a decent chance samsung hasn't tested that at all.

I'm not sure what you mean.  I am able to play these m2ts files both through DLNA and the Plex Samsung app in full 3D so it should be possible in the MB app.

FrostByte

I'm getting the same error with cncb's sample file on my F series TV using the Samsung app 460b.  The only way I could get it to play was to use tsmuxer and remove the MVC track and just play the file with AVC track only

I'm not sure what you mean.  I am able to play these m2ts files both through DLNA and the Plex Samsung app in full 3D so it should be possible in the MB app.

Ok, if they're direct streaming then in this case what I said isn't true. I just thought I'd suggest it because it's fairly common for devices to have a different set of supported formats when streaming through an http server vs. direct playing path from a disc or file.

crashkelly

Have you updated to the latest app - should add support for MVC playback without transcoding

If it doesn't - are you able to make a small movie file and upload it somewhere for me to test? I can then modify the profile to allow it to direct play 

Thanks

@@chessdragon136

Sorry for the bit of a hijack, but I am trying to test MVC playback. Is the standard "mkv" file extension the way to go or would it be different.

Thanks

CrashKelly

EDIT: This is for 3D playback

Edited by crashkelly

• 2 weeks later...

Any luck?

chessdragon136

Hey - I've implemented a logging feature for videos in the latest app release - can you go to the log (in settings page), clear it, then straight after play the affected video, then look at the log and report back the details

I think I know what the problem is although I don't see any errors in the log.  I have to remux to m2ts for Samsung to recognize and play these as 3D files.  For some reason, for some of my 3D files MB thinks the MVC video "track" is an AAC audio track and tries to transcode it and fails.  As a side note, Plex also "identifies" this as an extra AAC track but in the Plex Samsung app I can select the audio track before playback so there are no playback problems (no unnecessary transcoding).

CBers

I think I know what the problem is although I don't see any errors in the log.  I have to remux to m2ts for Samsung to recognize and play these as 3D files. 

My 3D movies are MKVs and play OK on my Samsung TV (F8000).

Do you 2D movies have multiple audio tracks ?? If so, could you re-author them so that the default track is Samsung compatible, such as AC3 or Dolby ??

My 3D movies are MKVs and play OK on my Samsung TV (F8000).

Do you 2D movies have multiple audio tracks ?? If so, could you re-author them so that the default track is Samsung compatible, such as AC3 or Dolby ??

Are your MKVs full 3D (MVC)?  The only way I can get these to play on my F8500 TV is to remux to m2ts.

For 2D, the only transcoding problems I have is with TrueHD tracks.  I suppose I could re-author those movies, but it would be preferable to be able to select the audio track before playback.