Feature Request - Stand-up Comedy

337Manni

337Manni

Feature Request

Even though it was stairing me in the face, I’ve finally figured out how to seperate my library into Films, TV Series, Kids Films, Kids TV Series, Stand-up Comedy, Documentaries, etc... and I must say I’m loving it!

What I would say though is although my Stand-up comedy searches / scrapes like it would for Movies, how I want them displayed is different and so takes alot of manual editing / messing arround.

I scanned this new Stand-up Comedy folder into my libary and seperated them from my Movies. This gave my a Stand-up Comedy Shortcut on my home screen.

In there under the Movies section (Should really be called Stand-up Comedy...) I had most listed as seperate DVD’s, but some where grouped into boxsets. It really looked messy. I had to edit collections for each Comedian and add there DVD’s. For comedians with just one DVD I had to make a new folder in C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\data\collections and edit the collection.xml file to get it to show up in the Collections section on the Metadata Editor. I have also locked each comedian’s collection so that it doesn’t change back to how it was on a library scrape

I still have to manually add each new DVD to the comedian‘s collection and I will also have to manually edit new comedians, but it's worth it for the end result (post #4 & #5)

So after all that, here’s my Feature requests / Questions;

A way to change the “Movie” header to “Stand-up Comedy” or whatever the Library folder’s name is (if it’s not included in the Movies / TV).

Ability to easily add a collection manually without editing XML files etc.

Make this automated by creating a library option for Stand-up Comedy so it still searches / scrapes TheMovieDB / IMDB but organises / groups them by Comedian like post #4.

Edited by 337Manni
  • Like 2

337Manni

Ha it removed my pictures...

How to I add them then? I screen shot then pasted into the post and they where there when editing the post, but not onced it was posted.

Happy2Play

How to I add them then? I screen shot then pasted into the post and they where there when editing the post, but not onced it was posted.

Click the image button then change it to upload.

• Like 1

Beardyname

For the Collections part, you can do that through the web-ui and it should be much more simple than hand editing an xml file :)

Just click on collections make a new one, and then press edit on it. It will take you to the metadata editor for that collection where you can add/remove titles as you see fit!

• Like 1

337Manni

That's brilliant. Just seen the + icon on the collections page. Never noticed that before.

I was tring to to it through the metadata editor, but couldn't find a way there. Simple when you know how.

Would still be nice to be able to automate this by just selecting Stand-up Comedy when adding a new library entry

337Manni

Well that would be just superb!

:)  For those in the talks that might see this;

Anime

Cartoons

Christmas Movies

Cooking Videos

Documentaries

Educational Videos

Exercise Videos

Homemade Videos

Kids Films

Kids TV Series

Movies

Music Videos

Stand-up Comedy

TV Series

Video Clips

That's all I can think of atm.

Beardyname

well video clips and homemade vidoes are kinda the same ;)

same could be said for all the kids stuff, should not really be their own type. But then again i think the devs already know all this ^^

337Manni

I see what you're saying, but I tend to keep my Films and TV series seperated, and do the same for the kids as well.

I see Homemade videos as things I would shoot myself, like birthday celibrations, weddings etc. Video clips I see as sorts clips like somthing funny someone has sent my etc.

Each to there own I suppose.

Whilst I agree with some comments on other things such as movies and TV shows being the same category, I do think that stand up comedy should be its own category. I currently have them grouped with movies and a separate library set up for them but its not perfect.

ginjaninja

Well that would be just superb!

:)  For those in the talks that might see this;

Anime

Cartoons

Christmas Movies

Cooking Videos

Documentaries

Educational Videos

Exercise Videos

Homemade Videos

Kids Films

Kids TV Series

Movies

Music Videos

Stand-up Comedy

TV Series

Video Clips

That's all I can think of atm.

once a bulk edit can be applied to the current view (including search result view), then it should be possible to

assign all current objects to a named collection name/collectionid.

instance views which show all collections or a subset of the collections filtered by name/id

would need the object schema to support multiple collectionids eg...stewart lee's comedy vehicle is both TV Series and Stand-up comedy.

the current collectonid system is a specfic sort of collection..boxset1...boxset2..Boxset3....presumably not too much of a stretch to have other ways of group content into 'collections' both user designated and perhaps auto/system generated(updated).

Collection Schema (Name,UniquieID,Definition,RecalculationInterval,Arguments, (Default Viewing Crtieria such as Group By, Sort Groups by, View Groups by), Type - to aid when & where they might appear in ui)

Collection Definition.. defined as..(combination of) AND/OR/NOT

• [systemObjecttype=Person/Actor/Writer/Song/Epsiode/Series/Movie etc]
  • [%metadataname% exists/hasvalue/isblank/isgreater/isless] (each metadata type in MB3 might have an attribute in its schema op which operators it can support ( in eg collection definition)) with which comparator types (string, date, numeric,set from database lookup)

Example metadata arguments

[added after/Before=%Date%] ,[genre(s)=%Combolist%], [Director(s)=%combolist%], [Actor(s)=%Combolist%]  [MemberofCollection=%ComboList%] (Nested collections).,,,,

with collectionrecalculation interval defined as (SystemScheduled collection refresh task eg hourly ,real-time on view change, collection specific schedule eg every 15 mins)

Such functionality  would completely abstract collection definition from typical constraints (library definition/filesystem) and simplify/speed up collection definition..and allow dynamic collections to be automatically maintained.

eg.

• Collection Name="Directed by Luc Besson"
  • UniquieID-some guid
  • Recalculation Interval=System CollectionRefresh
  • Defined By
  • System Object Type=(Movie or Episode) AND object.metadata.people.director hasvalue "Luc Besson"
  • Arguments=None (its a static view)
  • Groupby=None, View Groups by None
  • Sortby=Date
  • Type=tbd

Now this (movies or episodes directed by luc besson)  would probably be more of a search than a regular view (that people would want to refer to often)...but you get the idea

The searching interface functionality could be enhanced by "dynamic collections" whose definition could take a variable

eg

• CollectionName="Search by Director"
  • UniquieID-some guid
  • Recalculation Interval=OnAccess
  • Defined By
  • System Object Type=(Movie or Episode) AND object.metadata.people.director hasvalue Argument1
  • Arguments:Argument1(metadata.people.director)=???????

Search UI could show an interface appropriate to the argument/metadata type

thus mb3 could provide common searches and users could define additional searches. the search results could then be assigned to a more permanent collections by a bulk editing function.

searches and collections are sets of data organised by some meaning (definition) to the user ..so there is some relation..perhaps collections as "searches made permanent" is a way to look at their creation, and management.

the reporting interface are just searches too with the useful arguments exposed.

to the ops point it wouldnt be a stretch to provide the requirement.

• Collection Name="Stand Up Comedies"
  • UniquieID-some guid
  • Recalculation Interval=System CollectionRefresh
  • Defined By
  • System Object Type=(Movie) with object.metadata.genre hasvalue "Stand-up Comedy" (alternatively with mediafolder hasvalue "Stand Up Comedy" or mediapath contains "StandupComedy")
  • Arguments=None
  • Groupby=object.metadata.people.writer, View Groups by object.metadata.date DateAscending
  • Sortby=Alphabetical
  • Type=tbd

Now if viewing such a database query in realtime was too onerous.....then when the collection was re-enumerated at its defined interval, the collection id could be added to the mediaobject....the set of members of each collection could be collated in the database under a view, and clients could pull back the set of collections (of relevant type) without any real-time processing and show them as defined by default grouping and sorting criteria for the collection.

New stand-up comedies would be added automatically to the collection without the user having to do anything specific to maintain the collection.

A multitude of collections and user functionality could be supported (common searches, automatically maintained collections, reports inc metadata management)

Edited by ginjaninja

• 1 month later...
Blue Kachina

I would also like something like this... though my take on it would be slightly different.  Not only do I have stand up comedy movies, but I also have stand up comedy mp3s.
I'd like to use the mixed-media type for this but that doesn't really work properly for audio, as you can't play an entire album without making a playlist.

If I'm missing something here, please do let me know.