Roku 3 and Video Files

anujpuri85
Go to solution Solved by Tikuf,

anujpuri85

I recently got a Roku 3 and installed MB3. Most of my videos don’t seem to play. When I hit the play button, it goes to the retrieving screen, and then a minute later, kicks me back to the summary screen. Even if I try playing the same video file several times, it doesn’t work. Any help? I have files of all types, so it’s not a specific file type that’s having problems. I can say a big chunk of my videos are avi and mp4. I also have videos that have been recorded with a tv tuner through Windows Media Center. Those don’t play either. Any help? Some of the avis and mp4s work, but most do not. I am hard-wired (internet wise), so internet speed is not an issue. Despite this, I even tried turning down the quality, which had no effect.

• 2 weeks later...
Bangpuss

Hi there,

I have the exact problem.

I have a Windows 2012 server with lots of disks in with the media content on.

I am running Media Browser Server on it Version 3.0.5050.37565.

I have purchased a Now TV, done the sideload (Version 1.16.2)  and it seems to play AVI files fine.

When I come to play MKV files it says Retrieving and then goes back to the summary screen.

Here is the log for the playing of the movie: http://pastebin.com/89ZQepxB

I hope this is enough information for you to help.

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Bangpuss

Bangpuss

I fixed it - I had 2 x directories that MB didn't like.  One of them was for photos and one was for music.

Since removing them it seems to be working now!!

What cpu are you running?

The first log you posted (The Fast And The Furious 2 - 2 Fast 2 Furious) is only converting at 17 frames per second (the roku gives up trying to play it as the 3 segment buffering was taking too long)

The others look to be converting fast enough (but only just)

I need you to switch on debug logging and try them all again for me please

instructions to do are here

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1209-getting-useful-logs-media-info/

Just as a test try upping the video quality in the roku settings and see how playback goes.(after you have re done the logs)

Nate8727

Are the movies you're trying to play missing metadata?  I had the same problem, but after adding the imdb id, saving, and forcing a refresh, it played fine afterwards.

Some of my movies didn't get the metadata completed for some reason.

• Solution

Try setting your bitrate on the roku @20Mb in an attempt to stop the transcode and invoke a stream copy it looks like the cpu doesnt have the horsepower for transcoding

• Like 1

In the mb roku channel use the down arrow until you see the preferences tile select that the first option is video quality select that scroll all the way to the bottom and select 20.0Mbps HD

• Like 1