A few UI/presentation questions

politby

politby

Apologies for the lack of screenshots; my tablet does not have a hard Windows button so I can not take full screen images.

1. No resume section

When entering the app, there's the main menu at left, some empty space and then the new movies and new episodes sections. A resume section would be nice to have here. Personally I think the resume section is more relevant than newly added stuff so I'd like to see it first.

2. TV Series Resume

No resume section there either. I'd much prefer that before "next up".

3. TV Series Navigation

A lot of steps to start or resume an episode. After locating the series in "All", the first page is empty except for a poster, logo, title, duration and rating. 2/3 of the screen area is wasted. I then have to swipe right to get to the seasons and synopsis.

Picking a season brings up another mostly empty screen with just the logo, poster and season name. A right swipe brings up a screen of rather large episode thumbnails of which only 4 are completely visible before having to swipe again. Finally after selecting an episode I get to the page where I can start or resume playback.

4. Movies

This section has "resume" first. Great.

When selecting a movie the first screen just shows the poster and play/play to buttons. I have to swipe down to see the synopsis - an unnecessary step as there's a lot of available space on the first screen.

So I feel the app isn't making efficient use of the screen real estate. I think the mostly empty screens could be eliminated. The main TV series screen could show both the synopsis and a seasons listing, and the season screen could list episodes plus a season synopsis if available.

And in general I think the size of pretty much everything could be scaled down in order to make better use of screen space. This app is designed for closer-up use, not a 10-foot scenario.

Not intending to nit pick, I love the app, just some suggestions.

--

There are two kinds of people. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

7illusions

I'll give you a more detailed answer later (a bit busy atm), but one thing you need to test is to bring out the charms menu -> Settings-> General and enable the "Mouse and Keyboard layout".

That will solve a few of the issues you are pointing out. :)

politby

Thanks. I switched to mouse/keyboard mode. Only difference I can see is that the first page entered after selecting a series now shows the season posters, and part of the series poster (how much depends on how many rows of season posters there are). To see the synopsis I have to swipe, and then swipe back after reading the synopsis in order to be able to select a season.

I think the synopsis should always be on the first page after selecting a series or movie. In the case of a movie, this page should also have the playback buttons. Swipe up could then bring up the cast details page, while swipe left could bring up the seasons (for TV series).

Selecting a season would bring up a page with the season synopsis, with corresponding swipe up for season cast details and swipe left for episodes. And so on.

In general, avoid breaking across pages, if possible. You should not have to swipe to see the rest of a poster, for instance.

Another nit pick: the black tiles behind posters look a little bit off. Would it be possible to give them rounded corners and maybe also a bit of transparency to make them not stand out? Like the focus frames in Media Browser classic.

--

There are two kinds of people. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

Edited by politby

Hi,

I have always found reaction to a UI is based on individual use case and personal preference. I personally like the UI the way it is. It works for me. I use the app on a laptop and my HTPC, so the ten foot experience is important to me. The usage of Win metro conventions, icons etc helps make the app very intuitive. Would I want a few tweaks, sure, see my wish list post.

Just my two cents

politby

I agree that user interfaces are always subject to personal preference. That being said, now that the app has 2 UI modes, why not make full use of that and tailor them for touch/non-touch users, respectively?

Right now the two modes are pretty much identical.

--

• Like 1