Set simultaneous connect limit for users

drfiggins

Pog22

I've no problem with them logging in on other devices, I've also no problem with their children's using my server at their friends. I don't want to limit their devices as this will mean they can't use web browsers. I also can't limit the neighbors IP because it's dynamic. I just want to limit their user account to 2 or 3 simultaneous streams, a setting I should be able to set and forget. Then their limit becomes their problem

Edited by Pog22
  • Like 2

adrianwi

You can pretty much argue for and against any new requests, but I don't see how adding this causes anyone any issues.  It's just another way to control access to the server, and really can't be all that difficult to code and add to the UI.  If you want to use it do, if you don't don't!  I can see some uses for a couple of my friends who seem to like to push the boundaries with my emby server.  This would stop them very quickly!

First, I want to say that this feature is probably something we want to do at some point.  But, in response to this:

but I don't see how adding this causes anyone any issues.  

The issues are not necessarily from your perspective.  Something like this has to be properly woven into the system and work in all aspects of it.  This will not be a trivial task from a development standpoint.

Also, from a support standpoint it is very significant as we are now creating another way that playback or connections can fail so, when they do, we have to be able to troubleshoot them properly and, even with an adequate message, this will add to the support load.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

First, I want to say that this feature is probably something we want to do at some point.  But, in response to this:

The issues are not necessarily from your perspective.  Something like this has to be properly woven into the system and work in all aspects of it.  This will not be a trivial task from a development standpoint.

Also, from a support standpoint it is very significant as we are now creating another way that playback or connections can fail so, when they do, we have to be able to troubleshoot them properly and, even with an adequate message, this will add to the support load.

I get your first reason but i think your second reason is a bit weak, if a message clearly said you are at your max stream limit please contact your server admin i don't see it increasing support "calls" much.

If you have bitrate limits already i don't see how this would be any different.

either way glad to hear its still something you want to do :)

I get your first reason but i think your second reason is a bit weak, if a message clearly said you are at your max stream limit please contact your server admin i don't see it increasing support "calls" much.

Yes, any rational person would think that... ;)  Our experience tells us otherwise.

In any case, these types of system-wide things are never trivial and this one, while valuable to many, still is not something that the majority of people would benefit from so it just hasn't been taken on yet.

• 2 months later...
nonyhaha

Long story short, here is my +1. 

I did not manage to read all the pages, I understand there is a back and forth with a lot of explanations. 

In case this has been discussed, I am sorry to nag you with it, but here is a scenario. (not taking into consideration any 4k source files):

i have a 4 mbit/s limit on a user - I want him to be able to watch a video at a good enough quality.

He wants to stream let's say 4 different files at 1mbit/s output - because friends and family. 

the result: the server will need to transcode 4x10mbit/s down to 1mbit/s instead of 1x10mbit/s to 4mbit/s. This will put a LOT more effort on the server.

Edited by nonyhaha

legallink

Long story short, here is my +1. 

I did not manage to read all the pages, I understand there is a back and forth with a lot of explanations. 

In case this has been discussed, I am sorry to nag you with it, but here is a scenario. (not taking into consideration any 4k source files):

i have a 4 mbit/s limit on a user - I want him to be able to watch a video at a good enough quality.

He wants to stream let's say 4 different files at 1mbit/s output - because friends and family. 

the result: the server will need to transcode 4x10mbit/s down to 1mbit/s instead of 1x10mbit/s to 4mbit/s. This will put a LOT more effort on the server.

Just my opinion, but I think that is an environment/scenario that Emby is not designed for.  It's designed solely as a personal media server (not friends = friend's family = large groups of remote users which you don't have control/insight to).  I think in general Emby is designed to support a single generation family's needs, with the intent of an account per family member, so you don't have the issue of 1 account pulling 4 streams at once.

While I can see the scenario play out in a variety of ways where family includes my kids/brothers/sisters/adoptees, and my kids/brothers/sisters/adoptees have kids; or adopted families; or 10 other configurations, and perhaps Emby will support them in the future.  However, the current setup and feature set for the most part isn't designed for what you are asking.  Essentially your scenario needs more granular control (which I think most would extend to and naturally fits in commercial settings) and possibly even nested accounts (aka Bob's Family, and in Bob's family there are 4 individual accounts/logins/).

Just to be clear, not saying you are using it in any way that is against the license or anything else, just my opinion of where the feature set is targeting/fits.

nonyhaha

At the moment I am not using it outside of home, but I got here because there are a lot of discussion about the better user manageability in Emby. 

Just my opinion, but I think that is an environment/scenario that Emby is not designed for. It's designed solely as a personal media server (not friends = friend's family = large groups of remote users which you don't have control/insight to). I think in general Emby is designed to support a single generation family's needs, with the intent of an account per family member, so you don't have the issue of 1 account pulling 4 streams at once.

While I can see the scenario play out in a variety of ways where family includes my kids/brothers/sisters/adoptees, and my kids/brothers/sisters/adoptees have kids; or adopted families; or 10 other configurations, and perhaps Emby will support them in the future. However, the current setup and feature set for the most part isn't designed for what you are asking. Essentially your scenario needs more granular control (which I think most would extend to and naturally fits in commercial settings) and possibly even nested accounts (aka Bob's Family, and in Bob's family there are 4 individual accounts/logins/).

Just to be clear, not saying you are using it in any way that is against the license or anything else, just my opinion of where the feature set is targeting/fits.

Not a valid argument. My users are mostly family, we all live in different houses miles from each other in different counties with one on a different continent

legallink

Not a valid argument. My users are mostly family, we all live in different houses miles from each other in different counties with one on a different continent

How is it not a valid argument.? It would appear that your description falls precisely into my example for nested accounts? Otherwise you could limit the bandwidth of the single account and be fine.

How is it not a valid argument.? It would appear that your description falls precisely into my example for nested accounts? Otherwise you could limit the bandwidth of the single account and be fine.

Limiting the bandwidth just forces everything to transcode making the server work harder.

Each of my 11 users have a single user account, they live with partners/students/children and have multiple devices in their homes/accommodations.

• Like 1

legallink

Limiting the bandwidth just forces everything to transcode making the server work harder.

Each of my 11 users have a single user account, they live with partners/students/children and have multiple devices in their homes/accommodations.

I’m not sure why we seem to be talking past each other. Your example is precisely the example I highlighted as not the use case Emby is designed to support, where nested accounts would be more appropriate. The minute you get away from 1 household is the minute you are using the server not as specifically designed for. Emby is not user based, it is based and designed for a single household. Aka a group of people living together under one roof.

I’m not sure why we seem to be talking past each other. Your example is precisely the example I highlighted as not the use case Emby is designed to support, where nested accounts would be more appropriate. The minute you get away from 1 household is the minute you are using the server not as specifically designed for. Emby is not user based, it is based and designed for a single household. Aka a group of people living together under one roof.

Where does it state this?

Sorry, I hadn't realised they were purposely crippling this feature, I'll have to start looking elsewhere and cancel monthly premiere

Hi.  We are not purposefully crippling it.   This simply isn't the major use-case and, thus, not what the server is primarily designed for.  That doesn't mean it doesn't work.  It just means that all the features one might expect of a server designed for a larger user base might not be there yet.

Hi.  We are not purposefully crippling it.   This simply isn't the major use-case and, thus, not what the server is primarily designed for.  That doesn't mean it doesn't work.  It just means that all the features one might expect of a server designed for a larger user base might not be there yet.

I'm taking it as ignored. This thread is 5 years old with no attempt being made to add this basic feature, one that users who migrate from Plex expect

• Like 2

Take it as you will but it isn't ignored.  We simply have had higher priority items that will benefit a much larger section of our user base to do first.

This type of thing is easy for the other guys because they capture and control all of your users.  We don't.

shocker

Take it as you will but it isn't ignored.  We simply have had higher priority items that will benefit a much larger section of our user base to do first.

This type of thing is easy for the other guys because they capture and control all of your users.  We don't.

Just my $0.02:

Why not create a basic functionality like monitor the active connections in dashboard, see if a user have more than allowed connections, stop the streams and send a message. Then this can evolve :) For sure that will be a quick win for the community and very small effort to develop (I'm already doing this with a very basic bash/php script).

Also this can be done on the server side, no need to pass this info to Emby servers. Or add something to Emby core to not allow another session from a user that don't have allowed sessions and drop a custom message.

I don't think users are expecting something very fancy, just to control the number of sessions / user at a very basic level and this can evolve in the future.

Edited by shocker
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
LuisFlavio

I think this is a good suggestion and we should add it but your opinion above is just that.  

A lot of home users like the simplicity of sharing a single account in some situations.

A QUESTÃO NÃE É COMPARTILHAR A CONTA, o problema é sessões multiplas, compartilha quem quiser porem 1 por vez ou conforme configurado 2,3,4 por login porem permitido pelo admin

LuisFlavio

Just my $0.02:

Why not create a basic functionality like monitor the active connections in dashboard, see if a user have more than allowed connections, stop the streams and send a message. Then this can evolve :) For sure that will be a quick win for the community and very small effort to develop (I'm already doing this with a very basic bash/php script).

Also this can be done on the server side, no need to pass this info to Emby servers. Or add something to Emby core to not allow another session from a user that don't have allowed sessions and drop a custom message.

I don't think users are expecting something very fancy, just to control the number of sessions / user at a very basic level and this can evolve in the future.

Obteve sucesso? pode me ajudar amigo pois os desenvolvedores não dão atenção a esse "BUG" que me tras muita dor de cabeça trocando senhas e desabilitando usuarios, causando transtornos a mim e aos meus clientes. já estou me cansando se esses desenvolvedores do emby continuarem assim e não conseguir pelo menos sanar esse problema vou migrar para o PLEX. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is clearly a highly saught after feature. Ive been watching and waiting for while. I'll drop my little up vote for now, but we definitely need a way to bump up features WE want in a timely manner. MONEY talks, consider my VIP suggestion so we're not just blowing hot air around here anymore. 

This will be in Emby Server 4.3. You'll be able to set a total number of allowed simultaneous streams as well as per-user.

• Like 11