Set simultaneous connect limit for users

drfiggins

sbrindley

Would be a great idea on a per-user basis, to have the option within the users "access tab" to limit the logins to "X" logins and also having an "unlimited logins" option.  I have a few friends that have connected on several devices and sometimes they're logged in from their tablet, computer (browser) and also from a media device like Roku, yet they're only using one device... However, some have been streaming from multiple devices too.  It is a bit of a hassle at times.

Keep up the great work on EMBY and thanks!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
c.adr75

Friends would have news about this update of paramount importance? Well in my case being a premiere user and I'm sure many others who are also have a huge need because without it users send their password to several people not authorized by us causing a great financial loss, consuming too much our internet bandwidth.

chef

Friends would have news about this update of paramount importance? Well in my case being a premiere user and I'm sure many others who are also have a huge need because without it users send their password to several people not authorized by us causing a great financial loss, consuming too much our internet bandwidth.

I put a disclaimer in the bottom of my login page with CSS prohibiting password sharing, then I monitor the IP address daily and look for ones which might seem odd. Obviously ddyns is a thing... I don't have many users so it doesn't take much time.

Edited by chef

horstepipe

then I monitor the IP address daily and look for ones which might seem odd

can you recommend some tool for monitoring or do you only use the Emby WebGUI?

chef

Yeah emby dashboard. Just looking at the right side panel which shows login info, and the IP address are listed right under the user name.

c.adr75

I put a disclaimer in the bottom of my login page with CSS prohibiting password sharing, then I monitor the IP address daily and look for ones which might seem odd. Obviously ddyns is a thing... I don't have many users so it doesn't take much time.

Chef thank you for the information, but I have many registered users, it would be unfeasible for me to be monitoring all of them, it would be easier and I practice an appropriate tool for this.

chef

I haven't seen anything in the API which returns session IP address, only session info about client and DeviceName.

However, even if you could figure out rogue devices attached to your sever, there currently isn't anyway to boot their connection. You could use the DLNA to cancel playback, but technically they could just start it again.

pir8radio

This wont do you much good if a user connects via IPv6.  The internet facing IPv6 address is randomly generated by most OS's to protect the privacy of surfing users.   See first image  below where I log into my own server.   But if you are IPv4 only then this can work.  

Chef thank you for the information, but I have many registered users, it would be unfeasible for me to be monitoring all of them, it would be easier and I practice an appropriate tool for this.

Just like any web server, you analyze the logs..   I run my emby behind NGINX and then use a normal web log analyzer to turn it into something usable.  You can use splunk to alert you of concurrent logins from different IP's as well.   Below are a few images of my "user stats".

Me logging into my server, OS gives random IPv6 addresses:

5932cbf176939_ipv6.png

Stats you can generate using nginx as a front end:

Users and the IP's/HOSTS they use to connect to your server:

5932cbfeebdce_userhosts.png

User stats (all kinds of cool stats, but this one shows logins):

5932cc07e432a_dailyusers.png

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
legallink

My assumption is simultaneous logins. The ability to have more than x number of concurrent streams associated with one user id

• Like 1

pir8radio

My assumption is simultaneous logins. The ability to have more than x number of concurrent streams associated with one user id

That is two different things, I think that's why he is asking...   I think your first statement is how I read the request.. "simultaneous logins".  

I could see it working like: If i set this user to only "1" that means that user will be issued a login token, when that same user tries to login a second time, he gets an error possibly asking if they would like to disconnect the other user (like pandora) and the first token is revoked.    If this setting is set to "2" then two login tokens are given out.   If you just block the second login first logins that are hung-up will prevent a legitimate user from logging in, which is why I would suggest a pandora like booting of one of the other users.  Both options will upset people, I think this might be a tough one to work out.. lol 

The second part of your message would mean that 20 of the same user could login but only X could stream, I can see that being a nightmare to code especially with mp3 (music) streams and direct streaming.  

But I'm just assuming as well.....

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

darkassassin07

Personally I would want this to limit the number of connections able to get past the login screen at a time: set to 1, one person could log into a single session and browse/play media. While that session is still connected anyone else that attempts to use the same credentials at login gets an error, possibly the option to disconnect the oldest active session when that error appears.

I find this feature is an important one... a MUST have.

I too experienced dual streaming through one account via different browsers

which i do not like at all due to many reasons. If you give away an account

to a friend for example and this dude (maybe even by accident) gives away

this logindata to others, that is a serious problem and could cause a series of

problems.... There MUST be a way to control this directly via emby.

So a big big big +1 from me to this feature.

There should be a way to limit logins to 1 per account!

Even better would be if there where options like "limit login to 1 per account" and

"limit streaming to 1 per account".

Thanks

Soki

pir8radio

A setting in the user would be the way to go, Not server wide.    For example my parents have one account, but my mother might watch on roku, and my father might not like what she is watching and he will go in another room and watch something.   So I wouldn't want to limit their account...    Or when I have a guest account enabled, I wouldn't want to limit that.    So a field within the user settings that defaults to 0 (unlimited) that we can change to X would be the best bet IMO.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Yeah it would be something that only allows X numbers of users to login at one time

Actually, that is not what this request is for.  This request is to limit the number of connections for a particular user ID - not the number of users that can be connected to the server.

PremiumRed

Even better then... the important thing here is that they cant share there username and password and have 200 users connected at once with the same user id..

So +100 for that haha

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of upgrading to Emby premiere but after reading this thread I think I wait till this is solved.

1 connection per user at a time be the perfect solution for many here I think.

Very easy if the user wants to connect from a different device then let him first log off the one device being used and after that he should log into the other one.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Edited by Makandal
  • Like 1

legallink

A setting in the user would be the way to go, Not server wide.    For example my parents have one account, but my mother might watch on roku, and my father might not like what she is watching and he will go in another room and watch something.   So I wouldn't want to limit their account...    Or when I have a guest account enabled, I wouldn't want to limit that.    So a field within the user settings that defaults to 0 (unlimited) that we can change to X would be the best bet IMO.

I think, in general, if you limit the number of logins per user (and really I would assume we mean limiting the number of active devices), it for the most part by its nature, would limit the number of concurrent streams.  The exception to that would be if someone opened (for instance) multiple tabs in one browser sessions and streamed multiple things at the same time.  From my perspective I would take that as an acceptable outlier to the solution.

Edited by legallink