Set simultaneous connect limit for users

drfiggins

• 11 months later...
easez88

Hello Everyone. I am fairly new to Emby and I am loving my experience so far. I am wondering if there is an option to limit users to one active session at a time on a user by user basis?

I wish to discourage friends and family from sharing their logins with others. right now if I were to give my siblings a login they could share it with as many people as they wanted and all those people would be able to log in at the same time. If a user could only have one active session even if they shared their credentials with 10 people only one of them could login at a time. 

I have not found an option for this in emby and was wondering if it is possible through console or plugin?

Thanks for all the help.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
Cerothen

A better option would be limit to the same ip as the first active session. This would still let someone use the remote control features from their phone (as an example).

Perhaps just limit to one active steam per user?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
easez88

I think that limiting active stream would be a great solution. If I am not mistaken that is how services like netflix do it.  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
tuxevil

oh, i got why my thread was locked

this request have been asked since long time ago and nothing happened

so nothing low chances to get it

• Like 1

tuxevil

Happy2Play

Doesn't matter how old the request is, it is about the how many likes the request gets.  So duplicate request are useless.

tuxevil

Doesn't matter how old the request is, it is about the how many likes the request gets.  So duplicate request are useless.

ok, so better i just lost the hope right?

because this request have 5 likes (with mine) in 5 months

and this one http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/14295-set-simultaneous-connect-limit-for-users/

have 2 likes (with mine) in 1 year and 4 months

so better, just erase the requests that doesnt get more than 5 likes in 1 week, or month, or something, because it seems nobody cares

thanks anyway

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
e123enitan

Here are my 2 cents thought, this shouldn't be about the limited number of people who want this function but about potential benefits to the overall emby ecosystem. I have experienced where two of my legit users, shared their profiles with their house whole, placing a strain my network, both in LAN/WAN, after trouble shooting I uncovered that this was due multiple concurrent logins, therefore I had to disable or change user password to prevent future occurrence. Now me let said emphatically that emby connect is a great, and I love it, it saves me the time of messing with router port forward, and the ease of accessing my server remotely and sharing server without compromising my ISP IP., That being said, one would agree, like any other system it is open to abuse, the abuse how little or more it may be, once it identify a mitigating solution should be in place to eradicate such, not when large number of people start complaining then a solution would be sort.

One might say, stop whining,  what would you suggest to the dev team for consideration, this could be in form of user ID tracking table, which logged active user in/out log times and some code striction to prevent user multiple session, thus if any of the active users tries to log in from diff devices or IP location, that person would prompt with a WARNING message advising the user that he/she has a current session and for the new session to continue, the active one will automatically disabled, except to the rule is, where such user has an administrative privileges, regardless of devices and geo-location, in addition, a log message sent to the administrator either by mail or screen log warning of users who tries multiple concurrent logins for actions. Maybe the dev team should consider what plex, Netflix, Amazon and Hulu have in place that prevents customers from sharing their ID., I am not a user of any of these platforms, but I am well assured they would be losing money otherwise if no preventative measure is in place.

Cheers!   :)     

• Like 3

computerprep

Well... you can already turn off "enable access from all devices" such would disallow access from a new device until it's approved by admin, but that is only for uniquely identically devices, and does not apply to browsers.

So maybe asking with device control you can limit the number of unidentifiable connections that are made simultaneously?

So if your admin limit was one browser access at a time per user, and that user wanted to stream to their laptop but connect through their phone to control, they would have to use the app.

Or you could limit to two simultaneous browser accesses per user. Limiting to one would hinder users who do not pay for premiere. But the admin could set that limit however they want.

Users could still use any browser to cast to a Chromecast or control Android TV, Apple TV, etc.

Mods, let me know if this more specific idea should be submitted as a separate FR thread.

+1 on the original post.

Edited by computerprep
  • Like 1

Cerothen

The original suggestion was to allow unlimited logins across all devices simultaneously, and to only also one steam at a time. New streams would either be blocked until the current steam ends or a new steam cuts off the existing stream. Either case would be annoying enough to the user to deter account sharing.

This however would not limit remote control logins which I think is a core feature of emby

Edited by Cerothen
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
dcook

This issue is over 2 years old, can we expect it to be addressed anytime?

I think its only common sense that you would want only one user account to access at a time, to allow unlimited sessions from the same user account is not a good idea.

Edited by dcook
  • Like 1

This issue is over 2 years old, can we expect it to be added?

I think its only common sense that you would want only one user account to access at a time, to allow unlimited sessions from the same user account is not a good idea.

I think this is a good suggestion and we should add it but your opinion above is just that.  

A lot of home users like the simplicity of sharing a single account in some situations.

dcook

By not limiting to 1 session per user you are just asking or accounts to be shared.

At the very least it should be limited to 1 ip address per user account at a time.  That way if there is multiple devices in the same house it won't be an issue, but it would also prevent someone from sharing his login/password with friends.

I think this is a good suggestion and we should add it but your opinion above is just that.  

A lot of home users like the simplicity of sharing a single account in some situations.

c.adr75

I think it should have an option for when to register each user and the administrator decides how many simultaneous logins to allow, the system must automatically identify if it is the same ip and allow the remote control.

for example:

User registration:
Jony (02) Simultaneous logins
Erik (01) Simultaneous logins
Maria (03) Simultaneous logins

The system will identify the internal ip for the remote control.
I hope you have understood my logic, sorry for my bad english.

Edited by c.adr75
  • Like 1

overClocked!

Would love the ability to restrict the number of user connections per account.

Keep in mind though that sometimes legitimate simultaneous access will come from different IP addresses. For example, I am viewing live tv on one device using our building guest wifi. But I need to check a setting on my server and don't want to interrupt that live tv stream, so I pull out another device to log into the dashboard to make some configuration changes. That will have another IP address since I'm coming in using 4G LTE from my wireless provider. Then, let's say I want to to show some pictures to someone, so I log into the web client using a browser on my PC on the office LAN. All of these will have a different device ID and different IP addresses even though I'm in the same location and in possession of all my devices.

Oh. And not to mention that the wife is back home watching a movie on Emby for WMC from the same account which uses auto-login.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by overClocked!

pir8radio

yea, an option per account would be nice...   I have a guest account that I wouldn't want a concurrent limit on.. Same for my account, but other users it might be nice to set for 1 or 2 max concurrent logins...   

Spaceboy

I'd like to see some optional limitations here, too.

optional is the key word. We're not all using Emby to sell our media
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...