Help Request - How to share music between multiple users on same server

Blue Kachina

• 2 weeks later...
I would very much like this feature too please   :wub:  

My requirement is similar but not for Music, for TV... I would like to be able to define a user which can only see a select set of shows from my TV Library (in this case, only approximately 10% of the Television library (The selection is not children aged based hence can not use parental rating).

I have tried setting up a separate library called TV2 (content type TV) and within (8096/mediabrowser/web/library) I have UNC network shares entered from the main TV library... this semi works, but, is not great as when within the web browser I go to Shows (8096/mediabrowser/web/tvshows) rather than seeing folders of the shows, I see all the seasons from all the shows sorted in name order ie I get Season 01 of all shows followed by Season 2. 

fyi if I use my "normal user" and access the TV folder with all the content, all the shows display perfectly ie a list of show folders and not the seasons as per above (I hope this makes sense).

With huge thanks for the ongoing development of MB.  :)

Edited by ttmb

I would very much like this feature too please   :wub:  
My requirement is similar but not for Music, for TV... I would like to be able to define a user which can only see a select set of shows from my TV Library (in this case, only approximately 10% of the Television library (The selection is not children aged based hence can not use parental rating).
I have tried setting up a separate library called TV2 (content type TV) and within (8096/mediabrowser/web/library) I have UNC network shares entered from the main TV library... this semi works, but, is not great as when within the web browser I got to Shows (8096/mediabrowser/web/tvshows) rather than seeing folders of the shows I see all the seasons from all the shows sorted in name order ie I get Season 01 of all shows followed by Season 2.

With huge thanks for the ongoing development of MB.  :)

The easiest way to do this is with shortcuts as the OP said he does now.  I also use shortcuts for this so I don't plan on having it broken any time soon :).

Just create a folder for the shows you want person A to see:

Johns TV Shows

Then drag shortcuts from your normal TV folder to that folder.  Do this for each Series you want John to see.

Then add a new media folder for John and add "Johns TV Shows" as the media location.  Then give only John access to that media folder (in the user profile section).

Now John will only see those shows.

Many thanks for your help EBR. I must still be something wrong...

This is what I have done:-

On my Windows 8.1 PC called ZSVR I have created the folder "Test" in the following location N:\MB\Test

I have shared over the network the folder N:\MB\Test with the name of Test ie the share is \\ZSVR\Test

On PC ZSVR there is a folder P:\TV1\Frasier - within this folder are Season subfolders where the episodes are

I have created a shortcut called "Frasier - Shortcut" which has the Target of P:\TV1\Frasier and saved it in N:\MB\Test

In my web browser at 8096/mediabrowser/web/library I have added a media folder (content type TV) called TV2

In my web browser at 8096/mediabrowser/web/library within the Libary called TV2 I have added the folder called \\ZSR\Test

In my web browser at 8096/mediabrowser/web/userlibraryaccess A User called Guest has access to the above created TV2 library

I tried to see the Frasier episodes:-

In my web browser at 8096/mediabrowser/web/tvshows whilst logged in as Guest I don't see Frasier but see 0-0 of 0

Checks performed within Windows Explorer

If I enter into Windows expoler \\ZSVR\Test I see a shortcut called "Frasier - Shortcut"

If I click on "Frasier - Shortcut" it takes me to P:\TV1\Frasier and see the Season subfolders

With many thaks and regards

ginjaninja

if it takes you to P:\TV1\Frasier, then the shortcut is to P:\TV1\Frasier rather than \\Servername\Sharename\Frasier

create shortcuts from shares, so the shortcuts reference shares..

this may fix the issue.

Ginga is correct.  You need to be sure the shortcut target matches the way your real library is referenced in MB. 

Hi EBR and Ginja

Huge thanks for your help - now fixed!

Incase anyone goes down the same line...

In my instance, I think the main problem may have been bad Noobie earlier install...

My target of "Frasier - Shortcut" as "P:\TV1\Frasier" failed, after your post I tried "\\ZVSVR\TV1\Frasier" which also failed.

Back to basics, I un-installed MB3 cleared all cache etc and re-installed.

This time "\\ZVSVR\TV1\Frasier" worked perfectly.

Things I may have done wwrong:-

Permissions initially wrong (which may have caused later problems)?

Stab in the dark, having shortcuts pointing at the database that had not finished scanning??

All working well now - once again, many thanks for your prompt assistance.

Stab in the dark, having shortcuts pointing at the database that had not finished scanning??

Based on some recent findings from Ginga, I think this was why.

In case helpful for others - a bit more info re the above...

1 - "\\ZVSVR\TV1\" must be an existing Media location in MB3 (as well as existing!) for the shortcut "\\ZVSVR\TV1\Frasier" to work

2 - Whilst the shows are present and fine at 8096/mediabrowser/web/tvshows the episodes can not be seen at 8096/mediabrowser/web/episodes

The episodes are fine within the individual shows. This is not an issue for me, just letting others know.

Regards

Hi EBR

An additional note re using TV shortcuts, they would not "seem" to cope with years in brackets...

ie if you had a show containing series called Frasier or Frasier Today, that would be fine but if the show was called Frasier (2005) the show would not be seen.

NB this problem only exists when looking at Library with TV shortcuts (as per posts above), if not using shortcuts, the problem does not exist.

I tried renaming the the shortcuts and the targeted folder -  ie from Frasier (2005) to Frasier 2005 but no joy....

With many thanks and regards

My apologies - I found an item that did not fit in with the above brackets observation and with embarrassment can confirm it was parental rating correctly not showing the shows - ie MB3 working very well - sadly me not!