VLC and mkv over network

Kincaid

Not exactly a question about mb3 but I hope you can help me anyway.

I try to setup VLC 2.1 as external player but I have problems with mkv files over my network. VLC starts and instantly quits. I found out that there are problems with mkv files in VLC. When I try to start the video directly in VLC I get the following error message:

"VLC can not open the file %path_to_mkv% (bad file description" and

"VLC can not open the MRL %path_to_mkv%. See details in the error log"

(Translated from German)

This error only occurs with mkv files. Looks like there are some issues with user rights or something, but I can play avi files. Also I can play the avi files when I copy them to my local hard drive. Anyone knows what I can do to fix this?

No, that's not the problem. There is no firewall active on this PC and this occurs only with mkv files. Avi files in the same location are played correctly.

aspdend

i use VLC as my default player in MBC and it plays all media types streaming over my network from my server - no issues at all...

I guess i found the problem:

My folder structure looks like this:

- Media Center H

- Serien

- Adventure Time

- Season 01

- S01E01...avi

- Breaking Bad

-Season 05

- S05E01...mkv

- Friday Night Lights

- Season 01

- S01E01...mkv

I enabled folder sharing for the folder "Media Center H". I can play Adventure Time which is AVI and I can play Friday Night Lights which is MKV. I cant play Breaking Bad which is MKV too. I found out that I don't have the correct rights for the Breaking Bad Season folder for some reason, I can't copy files that are located in this folder to my HTPC. I don't know why, the folder sharing should be enabled for all subfolders in the same way but as far as I can see Breaking Bad Season 05 is the only folder that causes problems. Even the other season folders in the Breaking Bad folder are working properly.

Edit: I removed the complete folder from file sharing and set it up again. Now I can only see one episode in the Breaking Bad Season 05 folder and all other non-video files (cover, backdrops, subtitles etc.) There must be some issues with the other files but I can't see what it is.

Edited by Kincaid