• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kincaid OFFLINE  

Kincaid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

Not exactly a question about mb3 but I hope you can help me anyway.

I try to setup VLC 2.1 as external player but I have problems with mkv files over my network. VLC starts and instantly quits. I found out that there are problems with mkv files in VLC. When I try to start the video directly in VLC I get the following error message:

"VLC can not open the file %path_to_mkv% (bad file description" and

"VLC can not open the MRL %path_to_mkv%. See details in the error log"

(Translated from German)

This error only occurs with mkv files. Looks like there are some issues with user rights or something, but I can play avi files. Also I can play the avi files when I copy them to my local hard drive. Anyone knows what I can do to fix this?

#2 Yogi OFFLINE  

Yogi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 950 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Don't use VLC anymore but have a look at this page here, sounds like it might be a firewall problem

#3 Kincaid OFFLINE  

Kincaid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

No, that's not the problem. There is no firewall active on this PC and this occurs only with mkv files. Avi files in the same location are played correctly.

#4 aspdend OFFLINE  

aspdend

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 541 posts
  • Local time: 08:09 AM
  • LocationWest Sussex

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

i use VLC as my default player in MBC and it plays all media types streaming over my network from my server - no issues at all...

#5 Kincaid OFFLINE  

Kincaid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

I guess i found the problem:

My folder structure looks like this:

- Media Center H

- Serien

- Adventure Time

- Season 01

- S01E01...avi

- Breaking Bad

-Season 05

- S05E01...mkv

- Friday Night Lights

- Season 01

- S01E01...mkv

I enabled folder sharing for the folder "Media Center H". I can play Adventure Time which is AVI and I can play Friday Night Lights which is MKV. I cant play Breaking Bad which is MKV too. I found out that I don't have the correct rights for the Breaking Bad Season folder for some reason, I can't copy files that are located in this folder to my HTPC. I don't know why, the folder sharing should be enabled for all subfolders in the same way but as far as I can see Breaking Bad Season 05 is the only folder that causes problems. Even the other season folders in the Breaking Bad folder are working properly.

Edit: I removed the complete folder from file sharing and set it up again. Now I can only see one episode in the Breaking Bad Season 05 folder and all other non-video files (cover, backdrops, subtitles etc.) There must be some issues with the other files but I can't see what it is.

Edited by Kincaid, 22 October 2013 - 08:23 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vlc, Mkv, Network

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users