xbmc mysql library and mb3/Xbmb3c library sharing

jody
Go to solution Solved by marcelveldt,

dark_slayer

Not for me. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Extremely limited art and info isn't what I'm looking for

It's interesting because it doesn't seem like updating the local NFO scraper in kodi to write watched status and play count changes locally would be that drastic of a change

When an NFOs watched and play count is changed and the movie or show is refreshed on the server MB3 updates the watched state accordingly. Since mb3 already watches your shares for file changes it doesn't seem like a drastic change for the server to monitor nfos for a change in date modified and refresh

That would result in a fairly straightforward marriage of the two. I can't see upnp ever being satisfactory regarding the art. Simple interfaces with minimal artwork are kind of a dime a dozen at this point (roku, android, plex, ATV, etc)

Edited by dark_slayer

steve1977

The issue here is actually not MBS, but Kodi. Kodi does not edit NFO files at all, but the watch-states are seen elsewhere.

If DLNA is not an option for you, the easiest could be to wait for the trakt guys getting the site properly up again. I don't anticipate this to take too much longer.

steve1977

Good point and I wouldn't even say a speed-increase is required (unless you are a RPi user(. The addon is another mean that will serve the purpose and allow watch-state sync and works brilliantly well.

• 3 months later...
cw-kid

Hi

Trying to figure out how to integrate Kodi (MySQL) with Emby Server. 

So would I end up keeping the centralised MySQL database or do you need to use the local Kodi SQLite database on each Kodi PC?

Currently Kodi does all its own scraping with the various Kodi scrapers like:

"Universal Movie Scraper"

"Universal Album Scraper"

"Universal Artist Scraper"

"The TVDB Scraper"

These scrapers will also get basic artwork like poster and fanart.

I am also using these Kodi add-ons to get the extra artwork files.

"Artwork Downloader"

"CDArt Manager"

So if adding Emby Server in to the mix the plan would be to get rid of and un-install all these Kodi scrapers and add-ons for artwork and just let Emby Server get the meta-data and artwork files for new titles. 

Emby Server would create a .NFO file for each new title and then Kodi would read these using the "Local Information Only" scraper upon a Kodi Library update scan.

I need to first run the library export with "separate files" from Kodi, to create the .NFO files for the existing content, before I add Emby to any of my media content folder shares.

I also on the initial scan in Emby need to first turn off saving meta-data to folder. So Emby won't scrape everything again from the Internet but will just import the Kodi created .NFO files and use my existing Kodi artwork files. 

Once Emby has built its library, I would then turn on saving meta-data to folder in Emby settings, so then for new content / titles, Emby will download the meta-data / artwork and create the .NFO files for Kodi to use. 

But I won't have sync'd Watched / Unwatched statuses? If I watch something via the Emby web GUI it won't show as having been watched in Kodi. And vice-versa if I watch a movie in Kodi, it won't show as having been watched in Emby?

Main thing I am unsure about is if I keep the Kodi MySQL database or not and the watched / unwatched sync. 

Thanks

cw-kid

Also as I plan to keep Kodi (OpenElec) on the HTPCs for the front-end, do I need some Emby add-on for Kodi installed? 

Would Kodi continue to access its own MySQL database or would it use the new Emby database?

I am currently using the standard Xperience1080 Kodi skin. I've seen modified versions of this skin for Emby as well. 

Edited by cw-kid

• Solution
marcelveldt

If you want this, just use our new Emby for Kodi addon that will do exactly this.

It uses the standard local kodi database to store content but that makes sense actually.

You can connect your kodi client from anywhere in the world to your Emby server and you will have your content, including watched states etc.

In other words: when using Emby there's no need for a Mysql server, the Emby server with the emby addon is the solution for that.

• Like 1

cw-kid

Hi marcelveldt

Thanks for the reply. So if I drop the MySQL server and then each Kodi PC has its own local SQLite database. 

Each Kodi PC will still be in sync with each other, with regards to watch status and resume points? 

As now it would be the Emby Server and the Emby add-on for Kodi handling this and not the MySQL.

And the new Emby add-on for Kodi uses the native local Kodi SQLite databases.

Correct? 

So the old Media Browser add-on for Kodi was just a Kodi Video add-on, this is no more? 

Think I have been getting confused reading old user guides and posts.

In which case I could install a Kodi PC at my brothers house and he could remotely connect to my Emby Server, which would be excellent!

Thanks

marcelveldt

Hi marcelveldt

Thanks for the reply. So if I drop the MySQL server and then each Kodi PC has its own local SQLite database. 

Each Kodi PC will still be in sync with each other, with regards to watch status and resume points? 

As now it would be the Emby Server and the Emby add-on for Kodi handling this and not the MySQL.

And the new Emby add-on for Kodi uses the native local Kodi SQLite databases.

Correct? 

So the old Media Browser add-on for Kodi was just a Kodi Video add-on, this is no more? 

Think I have been getting confused reading old user guides and posts.

In which case I could install a Kodi PC at my brothers house and he could remotely connect to my Emby Server, which would be excellent!

Thanks

You are totally right. The old addon was "just" a video addon presenting you the MediaBrowser content.

The new addon is really connecting Kodi database to Emby.

For the videolibrary you can drop the mysql database... Don't know if your music database is in mysql currently ? If so, the emby addon doesn't support music - yet-. It will be added some day but will take some more time. We first want the video database to be rock stable.

So, go ahead and install the addon at your brother.You will see that you can perfectly watch the content :-)

cw-kid

Hi

Yes the music database is on the MySQL server as well. 

This all sounds amazing to be honest and with Kodi and Emby together its what Kodi / XBMC should have been all along!

My only concern with this tighter integration between Kodi and Emby is about Kodi updates.

If a new version of Kodi is released or is in beta, then presumably the Emby add-on for it, needs to be updated and compatible, before you could go ahead and update Kodi to the next version etc. 

I am going to export my Kodi Video library to separate files to generate the .nfo files. So Emby can read these on its first scan. 

The existing artwork files I have in each movie folder are as follows:

extrafanart (folder)
extrathumbs (folder)
banner.jpg
clearart.png
disc.png
fanart.jpg
folder.jpg
landscape.jpg
logo.png
poster.jpg

I am assuming Emby will just use these on its first scan?

Deihmos

The new Kodi addon make MySQL pointless and it is a much better solution. You can even have different profiles to keep watch stats separated for different users.

• Like 1

marcelveldt

My only concern with this tighter integration between Kodi and Emby is about Kodi updates.

Don't worry about that, we will update the addon as soon as Kodi requires that.

For example the addon is already fully compatible with Isengard beta 1.

About your fanart; don't worry about that, the addon retrieves all content from the Emby server directly, no need to hassle with any files.

cw-kid

About your fanart; don't worry about that, the addon retrieves all content from the Emby server directly, no need to hassle with any files.

Yes, but I'd want Emby to import all my current artwork that is in / used by Kodi, on Emby's first scan.

Which I assume it will do, if Internet scraping is disabled in Emby and its reading the local Kodi .nfo files and existing artwork files.

Then once the first scan in Emby is completed, it can scrape new titles from the Interent.

So assuming Emby then will not also save the artwork files in to each movies folder as currently happens with the Kodi Artwork Downloader addon.

But will be stored internally in the database?

I think I may create a subset of my movies and tv shows as a test for Emby to scan and import to see how it handles it as I have 2500+ movies and hundreds of tv shows!

cw-kid

The new Kodi addon make MySQL pointless and it is a much better solution. You can even have different profiles to keep watch stats separated for different users.

That sounds good! I can create a user account for my brother and the movies he watches won't affect my own watched / unwatched statuses.

Edited by cw-kid

Deihmos

That sounds good! I can create a user account for my brother and the movies he watches won't affect my own watched / unmatched statuses.

That is correct and you also need to create the user in Emby.

cw-kid

That is correct and you also need to create the user in Emby.

Yes that's what I meant create the user account in Emby.

Where else would I need to create a user account?

Deihmos

Yes that's what I meant create the user account in Emby.

Where else would I need to create a user account?

You create the profile in Kodi. When the Emby addon launches it asks you to select the user. The created profile will now sync with the emby user that is selected.

Vidman

If you were having multiple users using one kodi instance you would set up one kodi user for each emby user, but assuming your brother would have his own set up you would just set his kodi set up to use his emby user account, I hope that makes sense?

Vidman

Yes, but I'd want Emby to import all my current artwork that is in / used by Kodi, on Emby's first scan.

Which I assume it will do, if Internet scraping is disabled in Emby and its reading the local Kodi .nfo files and existing artwork files.

Then once the first scan in Emby is completed, it can scrape new titles from the Interent.

So assuming Emby then will not also save the artwork files in to each movies folder as currently happens with the Kodi Artwork Downloader addon.

But will be stored internally in the database?

I think I may create a subset of my movies and tv shows as a test for Emby to scan and import to see how it handles it as I have 2500+ movies and hundreds of tv shows!

Emby will use local metadata before searching for internet metadata if available, also you can choose in emby server metadata setting whether emby will store is metadata with your media or not Edited by Vidman

cw-kid

OK thanks guys, all that makes sense!

On my Kodi PC's in the house here, I wouldn't bother setting up different user accounts in Kodi, they all just use the default Master profile. 

And on my brothers Kodi PC, I will setup a user account in Kodi that matches his Emby user account etc.

Thanks

cw-kid

OK I have Emby server installed now and have added some test media content folders for movies and TV Shows. Emby has completed its first scan using the local Kodi generated meta-data (.nfo) and artwork files only. 

When looking in the Emby web GUI, two issues I see right away. Started new thread here.

Issue one: for DVD (VIDEO_TS) movie rips there is no synopsis showing. 

When I ran the Video Library Export in Kodi to generate all the .nfo files, Kodi has created .nfo files for my DVD movies and it has placed them in the VIDEO_TS sub-folder, the .nfo file is called: VIDEO_TS.nfo. If I look inside this nfo flle I can see the following:

<outline>A Puerto-Rican ex-con, just released from prison, pledges to stay away from drugs and violence despite the pressure around him and lead on to a better life outside of NYC.</outline>
    <plot>A Puerto Rican ex-con pledges to stay away from his former drug dealing ways but finds himself being dragged back by his past connections and the naive machinations of his lawyer and best friend. Hoping to raise enough money to get away from New York, Carlito Brigante takes on the job of running a nightclub, renews an affair with a dancer but old associates and old instincts suck him back into a world of violence and mistrust.</plot>

However other movie titles that are video files such as .avi or .mkv are showing the synopsis OK.

And the second issue, Emby has used the Folder.jpg files for the cover images. I really wanted it to use the Kodi Poster.jpg files instead, as the Folder.jpg files are older covers from MyMovies.dk.

Carlitos Way is a DVD rip with no synopsis. In fact all the meta-data looks to be missing such as genres, rating, year etc. 

554b542dd79e9_Emby2.png

Movie cover images Emby used the Folder.jpg files can it use Poster.jpg instead?

554b543c89650_Emby1.png

Also Browse Online images doesn't seem to work, thread here.

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

You create the profile in Kodi. When the Emby addon launches it asks you to select the user. The created profile will now sync with the emby user that is selected.

So if all my Kodi PCs in my house are just using the default Master profile / user in Kodi. What do I need to setup in Emby? A new user also called Master ? And in the Kodi add-on login in this Master user?

Currently in Emby I have two users one in my name and one in my brothers name for remote access. And I will probably add other users for the wife and kids for their mobile tablets. 

Thanks

Deihmos

When the add-on is installed it asks you to select the emby user. So in kodi you can rename the master user to your name or whatever. Add a new profile in kodi for your brother then when the plug in ask you to select the user you will chose the profile of your brother.

cw-kid

Hi Deihmos

OK so if I install a Kodi PC at my brothers house, I will change the default Master user in Kodi to a user with his name and then in the Emby Kodi add-on login as him.

However for my existing Kodi PCs at my house I just want to leave them using the default Master user profile in Kodi. As I don't want to have to change them all. 

So that's why I was thinking for these Kodi PC's, I might have to create a user called Master in Emby for them all to login to etc. 

Vidman

No need for all that, if only one person will be using one kodi PC just have the default master kodi profile on that PC use that users emby profile. No need to create a master user on emby either... Unless you want a separate admin acc to manage things without having a user with admin privileges

Edited by Vidman