xbmc mysql library and mb3/Xbmb3c library sharing

jody
Go to solution Solved by marcelveldt,

hi all  :D

I installed mb3 and xbmb3c, great that there is linux support now for this awesome piece of software. I was wondering though I have an extensive media library in xbmc or I should say better in mysql, which i use for several xbmc clients. the mysql library I filled using the xbmc scrappers, it is not the smallest library as the data is larger then 30TB.

With one xbmc client, I use mb3 and xbmb3c to access my files via the mb3/xbmb3c server (http share) but I would like it to use the mysql library (so I don't have to scrap via mb3) but how to enable that? :huh:

thank you in advance!

nope cant be done, you will need to import all your media to Media Browser.

ok, thank you that is clear now, I assume there is also no way to import/migrate it from mysql but rather I probably need do to use the mb3 'scrapper' for everything? I wonder how that will be performance wise with such a library, will share my experience once I have it going.

Angelblue05

Just make sure you set your metadata settings the way you want it before adding folder paths to MB3. It will save you a lot of headaches.  :)

dark_slayer

Also make sure to run a library export with "separate files" from xbmc. Then ensure that you have mb3 set to xbmc compatible metadata prior to letting it scan your library

elcabong

if your worried about your server taking days to complete the initial scan, I would add your content to MB server 1 folder at a time, and run a library update after each folder add so its not going through 30+TB at once.

Angelblue05

@@jody

There seems to be a problem with your series Psych naming (maybe others too). Please make sure you follow this naming structure found here: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/

If you have more than one series you need to rename, Bulk rename utility software is your friend. If you have further questions related to the server, post over in the server section so you can get proper help.  :)

hi all, in the meantime I have changed a few things. first some info on my setup, my lan network is on 10.133.120.* 

My main linux server is on 10.133.120.3 and has the mysql database for my xbmc-clients that sync to it. This server also contains all my media files.

One xbmc client (gotham) is on 10.133.120.10 and is installed on a physical arch server, which access the shares from my linux server from within the installed xbmc-client via samba share.

I also installed an arch virtualmachine on my linux server that is reachable on 10.133.120.6 on my network on which I installed the latest mb3. On the virtualmachine I mount the samba shares via sshfs to a directory on the virtual machine, which I then set as source for the media library in mb3.

I also ran a library export with "separate files" from xbmc on the physical arch with the xbmc client as suggested above and turned off saving meta-data to folders and set my preference for xbmc nfo files over the options available. I created on the virtual machine a new folder '/home/user/mb3.metadata' and set that as the directory in mb3 metadata settings to save all the data to, which seems to work as their is a whole bunch of stuff in it now. 

When i load the web-gui i can see the folders. For some of them it also loads the images (Movies/Series) as it should. Is there anyway to trigger an update/refresh for one particular Share/Directory and its sub-directories with the aim to download all the missing images? I can trigger it manually from the webgui one by one, but I have quite a bit of content and it would be too much to do it one by one. Any ideas?

Edited by jody

• 1 month later...
steve1977

Only saw this thread now. There actually is a rather easy way for a quick transition. dark_slayer pointed out how you can do this. Once you have done the export from Kodi, all of your movies will have metadata (NFO, poster, fanart) in exactly the same format that MBS requires. So, you just need to scan it into MBS and it should be done. No additional scraping required. You can even turn off the scraping in MBS to make sure that you limit what you had in Kodi. If you keep it on, MBS will add additional metadata that you may not have had in Kodi.

The only issue is that there are still some bugs with the library scanning in MBS if you have huge libraries, which I would call yours with 40+ TB of movies. One way is to allow MBS to scan the library drive-by-drive (4TB at a time), which will make things better. The good news is that things will work well once MBS has once "swallowed" your large library. The only issue is the very initial scan at libraries at your scale, which leads to "hanging". There are a few thread on this, which you can contribute trouble-shooting.

• Like 1

Only saw this thread now. There actually is a rather easy way for a quick transition. dark_slayer pointed out how you can do this. Once you have done the export from Kodi, all of your movies will have metadata (NFO, poster, fanart) in exactly the same format that MBS requires. So, you just need to scan it into MBS and it should be done. No additional scraping required. You can even turn off the scraping in MBS to make sure that you limit what you had in Kodi. If you keep it on, MBS will add additional metadata that you may not have had in Kodi.

The only issue is that there are still some bugs with the library scanning in MBS if you have huge libraries, which I would call yours with 40+ TB of movies. One way is to allow MBS to scan the library drive-by-drive (4TB at a time), which will make things better. The good news is that things will work well once MBS has once "swallowed" your large library. The only issue is the very initial scan at libraries at your scale, which leads to "hanging". There are a few thread on this, which you can contribute trouble-shooting.

I had done the xbmc/kodi nfo export as described but it was still not working. However, turning off the scraping in MBS (as well as options to extract chapter/series images while scrapping) did the the trick. It was able to finish the scan. I have now pretty much the info on all items from xbmc/kodi loaded, thanks a lot!!

Edited by jody

steve1977

This is great. The issue of "freezing scan" may indeed be related to "extract chapter images". There is a separate thread on this and it may be a bug.

Vidman

I had done the xbmc/kodi nfo export as described but it was still not working. However, turning off the scraping in MBS (as well as options to extract chapter/series images while scrapping) did the the trick. It was able to finish the scan. I have now pretty much the info on all items from xbmc/kodi loaded, thanks a lot!!

Now that you have everything sharing the same metadata I would suggest setting kodi to use local metadata only and let media browser manage the scraping...it is quite good and a lot easier to edit if you ever need to thru the web client Edited by Vidman

dark_slayer

I have the sync watched status check box checked on the server

I added the import watched status true to advanced settings, but the scrape never imports watched statuses when set to local metadata only

on the local network i run xbmc instances syncing to mysql and accessing my shares via smb and nfs, mb3 plugin is kind of slow when i use it, thus locally (where my server is with all the media) i will continue to use xbmc with mysql, and keep on running mb3 for use at remote locations with xbmc that are fixed location and use mb3 on the go when i'm not at home or at one of the other locations, as it can transcode the shares.

so in short will use both scrappers in parallel, would that cause any issues?

steve1977

I don't know why you would be doing that and it will create inconsistencies. You do not need to use the MB plugin.

Why not have MBS do all the scraping and set XBMC/Kodi to "use local metadata only". So, you still need to "update library" on Kodi and use the local library, but it just scans the info from whatever NFO, poster, etc MBS has scanned.

This works flawless and you will have full consistency and maximum speed.

• Like 1

Vidman

I don't know why you would be doing that and it will create inconsistencies. You do not need to use the MB plugin.

Why not have MBS do all the scraping and set XBMC/Kodi to "use local metadata only". So, you still need to "update library" on Kodi and use the local library, but it just scans the info from whatever NFO, poster, etc MBS has scanned.

This works flawless and you will have full consistency and maximum speed.

Yes exactly what I do and was trying to explain

dark_slayer

This sounds like it would be an extremely simple solution, but watched status is a must for me

Does anyone have MB3 watched statuses actually saving to their NFOs, and in turn importing to Kodi?

Vice versa, does MB3 read the Kodi watched status saved to the NFO (when running local metadata only)

dark_slayer

Edit - must have misspelled something in advancedsettings the first time I tried

Re-tried just now and it scraped *all* of my MB3 watched statuses :D

Now just need to figure out a way for MB3 to update the watched status after Kodi modifies the NFO???

steve1977

Kodi does not modify NFO files. There are two ways you can accomplish what you are looking for. Either you can install the trakt addon, which will sync the watch-states. Or you can now (that everything is migrated) use Kodi as DLNA client for MBS, which will allow MBS to add the watch-tag itself.

dark_slayer

Or you can now (that everything is migrated) use Kodi as DLNA client for MBS, which will allow MBS to add the watch-tag itself.

Trakt doesn't seem to be working 100% on Kodi at the moment

Can you elaborate on using Kodi as a DLNA client for MBS?

steve1977

Trakt is not working at the moment, but it should be back to normal in a few weeks. The trakt site is facing some issues, but it will be back and fully working. So if you give it some weeks, you will be fine.

At this stage, it is only worth to go the DLNA route if you don't mind some fiddling. But worth to give it a try and this should also get further improved soon.

Activate DLNA in MBS and in Kodi browse UPNP library. You will find "Mediabrowser" as one folder and within this folder, you will find movies, tvshows, music, etc. You can then manually map these folders in the Kodi UI. You can play around a bit with it and you will know whether that's interesting for you.